It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert to rally in D.C.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Stewart and "The Daily Show" will lead the Rally to Restore Sanity, described as a movement of "people who have been too busy to go to rallies," on the National Mall on Oct. 30. Its aim? To "beg America to stop shouting, throwing and drawing Hitler mustaches on people other than Hitler (or Charlie Chaplin)."

Meanwhile, the Colbert National wants "all freedom-loving patriots" to challenge the "dark, optimistic forces" of "The Daily Show" by marching at the same time to Keep Fear Alive.

Should be funny at least wonder how this will play out or if anyone will go.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I was disappointed that John Stewart used 9/11 truthers as an example of extremist irrational radical views held by a polarized population.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
I was disappointed that John Stewart used 9/11 truthers as an example of extremist irrational radical views held by a polarized population.

Why; 99% of the 9/11 conspiracy theories have been debunked. I support these two men and if I lived near there I would be out with them. The 9/11 truths are radical.(right or wrong).

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
How far can satire go as a political movement? I guess we will find out on 10/30/10. For that matter could Glen Beck be interpreted as satire?

You seem satisfied with the official story...good for you.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
How far can satire go as a political movement? I guess we will find out on 10/30/10. For that matter could Glen Beck be interpreted as satire?

You seem satisfied with the official story...good for you.

Look at the Tea Parties, although that is mellow drama -

Ya and good for him

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

if this is true, i might be going to washington dc in october

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I would go, but unsure if I would be supporting Stewart's message of sensibility or Colbert's "fear"...

perhaps a sign that reads "I disagree, but your probably not hitler....or are you?!?!"....would suit both sides of the arguement.

Sounds like a great time..

What I see them proving overall is not any message beyond anyone with a TV show can huddle lots of people in the mall now adays, and its not some greater movement.

So, either it will be a very small crowd of people, showing that indeed Beck has pull power, or it will dwarf Beck's crowd, showing that the loud minority is being overcovered by media..

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Awesome news!

The voices of reason come out to play and I would be going for sure if it wasn't for the cost of a plane ticket. So, this is the 'big announcement' that the two have been talking about.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Sweet!!! I'll probably go to John's rally and take one of the "Legalize Pot" and have a G.Bush mask.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I would love to go and bring a "I have a sign" signs!

By the way...

www.rallytorestoresanity.com...

edit on 9/17/2010 by whatukno because: to add link

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Don't forget Colbert's Site, too:

www.keepfearalive.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I hope groups of "team Jesus" and "team Mohammad" show up.

I thought it was completely tasteless that Bill Clinton was the guest the night of the "big announcement". Mr NAFTA embodies a "voice of reason" for Jon Stewart.

Personally I prefer Colbert for the rally. Jon Stewart is having an identity crisis, maybe a mid life crisis. He probably feels guilty for increasing political rancor and ridicule and seeks to atone.

Will the tea party protesters show up? I would guess yes...hmmm.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I'll show up with a sign that says "We're all idiots."

Maybe then someone will learn something.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
So, the slackers finally get a couple of rallies...

I'll pass on Stewart's ...It will just end up being a Cheech and Chong film festival...

Colbert's would actually be fun!

Enjoy!!

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Intersting, when the "right has a rally, it blows up the boards here on the ATS. However when the left does it, eh, no big deal, the double standard continues as always....no news here, just more he said she said from the left.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This rally is going to be a giant outdoor meat market.

Kinda sounds fun, come to think of it.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
who would win in a fight?

Colbert, Stewart fans Vs Beck, tea people

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Beck and the tea baggers would be outgunned by intelligence and humour.

Second line.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Faking A Stand

I would love to attend, but I'm far too busy to go to rallies, way too afraid of fear, and fiercely protective of my God-given constitutional right to shout, throw and draw Hitler mustaches on people other than Hitler.

And let's face it: sanity is for the weak! And fear is scary!

I boldly assert, here and now, before God and Everybody, that I need not march, chant, wave signs, walk on grass or generally fuss about in Washington, D.C. to express my strong feelings of apathy.

Nay, dear friends, I can express them most strongly by not expressing them at all!

(Cue stirring, patriotic music.)

Thus do I stand, stand strong for what I don't believe!

Actually, I think any sort of parody of American political movements is patently redundant, because they are already such a rich source of self-parody. In U.S. politics, everyone's a comedian, whether they realize it or not.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Intersting, when the "right has a rally, it blows up the boards here on the ATS. However when the left does it, eh, no big deal, the double standard continues as always....no news here, just more he said she said from the left.

The difference being, Beck's rally was meant as a serious affair, while this rally is meant as a JOKE. Your right "no news here"......this is a SPOOF, not a serious demonstration. See the difference?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join