It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question About Unsuccessful Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If this thread is not in the right place, or somehow/someway you don't want this thread in the forums, simply remove, mods...

I was just wondering if anyone can give any tips on better thread posting. I feel kind of like I "jumped the gun" when I joined ATS. I guess that's a bit of a confession but really I'm no stranger to internet forums. I WAS a stranger to ATS, though, and I feel like there is a possibility that my threads aren't quite good enough compared to the high quality threads of other members who have been posting for a while. The main thing that I notice is that my threads don't get as many replies as other threads (usually only one or even a few) which I will add that it doesn't exactly concern me too much, but I just feel like I could write better threads to give the members of ATS something better to read than that which I had already posted.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated! I hope I put this thread in the right place, again...move at will.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Just my 2 cents firstly its a matter of timing for example the vast majority of posters are US residents who are probably currently asleep so you wont get as many replies at this time of the day,the other is choose carefully the thread you stick it in,for example if you put something in general conspiracies it has to be of broad interest or it will be lost quickly in the crowd.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by philosearcher

Also topics relating to the US get more replies..

Obviously those in the US, which makeup the majority of members, are not as interested if it doesn't relate to them...

Ohh, and really, really stupid topics get plenty of replies sometimes...

Actually, now that I think about it, I have NFI..

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

The first member is right about timing.There are times of the day that certain topics prevail.
Also the title needs to be as provocative as possible.
Like the MSM does
Eg you want to make a thread about buying a new car.
Don't call it "what kind of car should I buy"

Call it, "anyone who buys an American car is an idiot"

Then lead in with, says Patricia Zammit, of newcars.com, link.
What kind of car should I buy?

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

The one suggestion I have not seen is, sometimes you have to ride along with the thread and tend to it for a while,
be pro active.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I've found that it mainly has to do with content. Some people can make poorly written threads which will get lots of replies because people find the topic interesting. This can be anything from breaking news to an original idea or question (well, not actually original most of the time). Some times it is hard to predict which topics which will get good response. I've found overly technical threads can some times get little response, but a massive easy to read and well written article will always get a huge response.

The only guideline I follow, is that if it "feels" like an ATS topic, and a search reveals nothing, and I've written more than 1 or 2 two paragraphs minimum, it's worthy of posting as a new thread. You never know how it's going to go until you try.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Well I went through a fair bit of the threads you have posted, maybe I can help a little bit.

I usually start with a title, and a little explanation about what the subject matter is.

Depending on the subject matter I will post sources to articles discussing my ideas. Most of what I focus on however is format. It's so important for threads to be easy to read and not just big blocks of messiness.

Paragraphs, I can't stress enough, proper flow of ideas too but that comes with experience I suppose.

Titles are very important as well. They have to be a mix between catchy, but not sensational, or misleading. It's also good to put your thread in the right forum. Even if the subject matter can qualify for Skunk Works, it may also, with a few sources and a bit more work, qualify for other boards that have more general traffic.

Hope it helps!

~Keeper

edit on 9/17/2010 by tothetenthpower because: I wanted to flag this thread! Yet have it it announced in small print.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
One thing which seems a truism on any forum anymore is: It won't get much of a response unless it's confrontational in some way. I hate that but it seems like most people read and move on unless it angers them or they really really love it.

At least I have seems some really great threads die for no apparent reason and yet, the same topics which I consider trollish get reincarnated on almost a daily basis and wind up with 10+ reply pages, stars and flags all over.

I am in no way advocating the troll approach. But it takes patience and some showmanship to get interest and keep it.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
spice up your thread with special effects and explosions
try adding a chick in a bikini
these approaches all seem to work for movies

edit on 17-9-2010 by 2weird2live2rare2die because: racism and ignorance... sorry

edit on 17-9-2010 by 2weird2live2rare2die because: EDITED FOR PROFANITY

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

There's a lot of variables involved in your question and mostly everything that's been said is good advice. I've seen good threads disappear without the attention they deserve and bad threads get entirely too much attention.

If you want a hit you should probably time it right, have good, easy to read content (*) and give it a sensationalized title with all the right key words to draw maximum attention and debaters as possible. And keep it short, the shorter the better. One paragraph maximum and a sentence or two is even better. Attention spans can be short here sometimes. Something like this always seems to be hit:

"PROOF of a cover up: Republicans tell cops to sue aliens for illegally growing food while climate change supporters gather around a newly found hole in Antarctica discussing 9/11 and JFK conspiracies."

Check out this link guys.

It's absolute proof that this is occurring NOW.
I just found it.
Tell me what you think. (/*)

(* sarcasm on/off)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I may have replied to one of your threads, but some get deleted for unknown reasons. It makes me sad, but I accept it. I know there are real people on here, that is all I care about. It is all the same, out in my neighborhood, here on this forum, or on another forum, or back in high school. There are PTB, and they are not always chosen for brains, compassion, or common sense, though some get in and hang in tenaciously for a long time. So far, the site administrators and moderators here have been far superior to other places I visit. I have seen other places where threads get buried in say, 3 to 5 minutes. We are in a better spot here for now, IMO.

edit on 17-9-2010 by CestLaVie because: spelling errors

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Thanks a bunch to everyone who posted thus far
Definitely was all a big help. I think my main worry is just that the reason people aren't replying is due to very horribly written threads or something. I don't know, I'm kind of a paranoid anyway. Either way, I'll definitely keep this thread ready when I go to post my next topic...Which I'm not sure when it will be, I don't post an awful lot, but I'll try all these things out.

Thanks again, guys

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Don't be concerned with it.
The most outlandish, dumbest threads usualyt get F&S and lots of attention.
I just post what I find interesting and usually get at least a couple of replies from those that truly enjoyed, or found my post useful.
When your thread gets lots of reolies, many of them will be nonsense anyway. Sensational titles work, if you are inclined to go that route. I'd preffer quality over quantity anyday.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
yes I have to say the threads I put a lot of thought into didnt go anywhere, yet, oddly enough the kind of silly ones did. You may just be suffering from the newbie nerves too,, this too shall pass! I have reached the point of if I get on reply and its positive, well, that's a good thing!

You'll be ok, just dont try to look for the magical wonder.... just be yourself. It helps people get to know you over time

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
yes I have to say the threads I put a lot of thought into didnt go anywhere, yet, oddly enough the kind of silly ones did. You may just be suffering from the newbie nerves too,, this too shall pass! I have reached the point of if I get on reply and its positive, well, that's a good thing!

You'll be ok, just dont try to look for the magical wonder.... just be yourself. It helps people get to know you over time

new topics

top topics

join