It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Storm Rips Through New York City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
One dead. I just heard about this! I was out in the garden all day! Good grief! What's next?

newyork.cbslocal.com...

In Brooklyn, witnesses say it went pitch black at about 5:30 p.m. Trees started waving around like grass. Large branches snapped and hit cars, smashing windshields. One witness told 1010 WINS that the situation in downtown Brooklyn looked “absolutely dire.”

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I would think tornados are pretty uncommon in NY - sorry there was a death - any reports on injuries or damage?

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
As a manhattan native i must say this storm is pretty strong. We've had several storms just like it this summer. And although tornadoes out in queens and brooklyn are uncommon, they are certainly not unheard of. Looking out the window from the 18th floor during the peak of the storm though felt like looking into hell lol i'm certainly glad i wasn't outside

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
that looks like a heavy storm

hope all are well in NYC.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I watched this on the 12-hour Loop on NOAA website, it looked massive.

The reason I was on there today was we too had a big storm form over the Mountains and it hung there all day building-skyward until it broke this evening. It reminded me of a tornado because there were so many wind directions at once. I lost three major branches to my old Pecan tree; sad to lose all those pecans since they are not ready until November.

I noticed it is a chain of storms from El Paso through OK and then on up to Maine. It seems to be pushed upward from the current Hurricane at the Yucatan, Hurricane Karl. Of course the upper level movement from Canada is what is driving this one Eastward. (at least that is how I see it, don't fire me if I get it wrong).

All I really know is that Upper Eastern Storm looked incredibly huge! I do hope everyone is safe tonight, if it is a line of storms the next round should arrive by tomorrow. Oklahoma was hit hard too, so this is going to be a wave. Please be careful out there!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Is it over?
2nnnnnnnnnnnd

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yea the storm is over. I was at my college when the storm came in. I was watching the storm as it was passing by and it was pretty intense. I rarely see monsters like this one.

it was over pretty quick. In the beginning the wind picked up, and it got really dark. Heavy rain, lots of wind. Lots of thunder/lighting and there was a tornado watch in Bayonne, NJ but i don't know if one was made for NYC.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I was outside when the winds picked up. I was at the USTA tennis center in flushing. Numerous trees were down, and up rooted. One of my buddies was swept off his feet from the wind. Luckily we were able to get inside Arthur Ashe stadium before we got swept away! What a night.

top topics

join