It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farms here could raise genetically modified fish if FDA approves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
On Sunday, a U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory panel begins hearings in Washington on what would be the nation's first genetically engineered food animal, an Atlantic salmon that incorporates DNA from other fish to make it grow twice as fast as its wild relatives.

To ensure the modified salmon won't stray into the ocean and cause problems for wild salmon, AquaBounty, the Boston-based company that designed the fish, told the FDA that it will be grown only in indoor tanks in inland areas.

www.dispatch.com...

Think this will get as little testing as the veggies did?

This is a sad day my friends, not even animals will eat GM foods.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

I posted an article about this a while back www.abovetopsecret.com...

They are implanting genetic material from an eel-like species called ocean pout that grows all year round to make the fish grow to full size in 18 months.

There are a lot of things that concern me about this. If these got into the wild and were to breed it could ruin entire ecosystems and who knows how safe these fish will be for consumption.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
yea i searched and saw your thread but mine is more of a, Wake up everyone its this Sunday!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
i thought they already approved these fish.

maybe theres still a chance they wont. *cross's fingers*

this could lead to all new disease's....or even worse things we cant even predict.

top topics

join