It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 Dead as Tornado-Like Storm Rips Through the Region

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

1 Dead as Tornado-Like Storm Rips Through the Region

www.nbcnewyork.com

A brief but severe tornado-like storm swept through New York City Thursday, uprooting trees and damaging cars and causing at least on fatality.

One person is reported dead after a tree fell down on the Grand Central Parkway. It happened on the eastbound lane near exit 12/

In the Park Slope neighborhood of Brooklyn witnesses say it went pitch black at about 5:30 p.m. Trees started waving around like grass. Large branches snapped and hit cars, smashing windshields.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I had to post here instead of fragile earth due to my lack of posts.

The weather really does seem to be rather unpredictable this year. I don't recall hearing about tornadoes in NY before.

I wonder what else this year will bring weather-wise. I also wonder if the Farmer's Almanac will be accurate.(some one should start a thread about it)

www.nbcnewyork.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm in Queens NY and I have to say that storm was insane. I went up to close the windows and the second I did it hit like a ton of bricks. Torrential horizontal rain, blasting winds and even hail, the cats were going crazy. It was raining so hard and at such an angle it started pouring in the closed windows!! I had an inch and a half of water in my window sill in a matter of seconds. Only lasted about 15 minutes though, and no real visible damage on our block, save for some really freaked out birds.

Good thing I keep my flashlights in the same spot lol

The people I really feel bad for are the ones who were in the middle of their commute home.

FYI There have been tornadoes in Brooklyn before (Hey! It's a freakin tornado over here!), I believe a few years ago was the last. I'd be surprised if there wasn't one today though, even if it was brief.

edit on 16-9-2010 by Shadowflux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I was on the phone with someone in NYC when this happened. Another participant was in NJ and asked if they were getting slammed with rain yet. She said no, but it just got realkly scary dark. I'll have to check to make sure they are ok.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
A friend of mine who lives in Bushwick was outside when the thing came through, said he managed to escape any injury but a friend of his did get hit by a shopping cart. I got to admit when I saw his update on facebook about the tornado my brain went into super-panic-mode since I work in disaster services and NYC is pretty much the core of our nightmares where disasters are concerned. Also if anybody wants to check out a few of the aftermath pictures check out this link.

top topics

join