reply to post by badgerprints
I think it used to be far worse.
However, I agree. It is still far too common.
imho . . . there are two
"OUT-GROUPS" to use a Freud term . . .
which virtually AUTOMATICALLY AND INSTANTLY attract
typically very mean-spirited, relentless, hostile, vicious, harsh, personal assaults, character assaults etc.
1. Christians--particularly evangelical and Pentecostal types who believe in miracles, the 2nd Coming etc.
2. All those who dare to assert that Islam's founding documents affirm and encourage violence and genocide.
3. A 3rd OUT-GROUP but at much lower levels, typically, are those Americans who dare to patriotically stand up for, speak out in behalf of the USA for
virtually any reason and any significant degree.
4. I'm trying but haven't been able to think of any other CHRONICALLY routinely OUT-GROUP on ATS.
5. I suppose you could say that JW's and/or Mormons could on occasion be cast in an OUT-GROUP role but they rarely start threads asserting their
6. Oh, there is another OUT-GROUP that tends to get a LOT of flack and hostility but it's become much more civil and respectful given the increased
modding and raised bar on civility in that forum. And that's the group that believes that UFO craft and critters are real--regardless of what they
believe that they are.
7. Sadly, there are individuals who BEHAVE AS THOUGH
A) they are paid a high salary to be hostile to such an OUT-GROUP &/or
B) their ATTACHMENT DISORDER has been so shaped and colored that they are COMPULSIVELY ADDICTED to attacking such an OUT-GROUP in order to feel safe,
smug, proud, have bigger muscles etc.
C) their response to one or more posters in the OUT-GROUP is addictively and compulsively tied to VERY HORRID UNFINISHED BUSINESS with some abusive
family member the poster reminds them of and so they are unconsciously or barely consciously (one hopes it's not conscious) constantly engaging in
PAYING BACK THE ABUSER by attacking the other poster that reminds them of the abuser.
8. Sadly, such chronic derailing and sabotaging of threads is still a common occurrence. That grieves me a lot and leaves me either leaving many such
threads or avoiding them entirely from the beginning. I believe that robs me of what should rightfully be reasonable for me to expect--to be treated
with civility and mutual respect regardless of the topic being wedded to some immature or emotionally handicapped stalker so given to being
chronically hostile on such threads.
9. No, I don't usually alert. . . . unless it gets repeatedly super outrageous in a short time and I'm particularly disgusted with it.
A) many mods come across as in sympathy, far too often, with the assaulters. So why bother.
B) A high percentage of the membership and a majority of the mods are experienced by most of those in my value orientation as being hostile to us to
begin with--and thereby, largely in sympathy with the attackers. So why bother.
C) We are likely to get told to get a thicker skin; vigorous argument is what ATS is for . . .etc.--which most of us agree with to begin with. WE JUST
DON'T LIKE A DOUBLE STANDARD that can still too often seem to be applied--though far less so than was the case 5 years ago, say.
D) That is, such attackers get away with things 3-10 times worse ROUTINELY, than we can ever get away with. That may be somewhat of an exaggeration
now but not totally and it certainly was no exaggeration a few short years ago.
10. All of which to say . . . some of us are KEENLY aware of the BOARD OF THE FLIES phenomenon because we are chronically and routinely on the short
end of the stick of that phenomenon--with essentially no recourse but to continue to take it in the groin, heart and head. Folks routinely attack our
characters, our IQ, our sanity, and our personhood. Yet when we even slightly satirize some aspect of THEIR IDEAS or commentary--we get punished as
though we'd insulted THE PERSON. That kind of DOUBLE STANDARD hurts and sometimes outrages us. But we essentially have no recourse but to slink away
and forget it.
11. That's sad to us. That is NOT an example of ATS living up to its best criteria, standards and goals. That is NOT denying ignorance. That is
flaunting it and exalting in it, imho.
If I've overstated it, I hope the relatively few Christians hereon will speak up and tell me so. If I've told it more or less like they've
personally observed and experienced it, I hope they speak up and tell me so and/or star this post.
I'd truly like to know their perceptions about the above.