It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Beck says "Let fat people die", Alan Grayson was right!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by mnemeth1

Jumping to conclusions once again, aren't we?

Fear knows no bounds and I'd love to smash Glenn over the head with that chalkboard.

Currently the government thinks it can ban me from smoking outdoors if it wants to.

I don't think its too much of a stretch for it to be banning burgers or fining people for being overweight.

The government currently has no limits on its power.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
The government currently has no limits on its power.

Oh it has limits, it just ignores them and people are either too apathetic to care or convinced that it's just 'for our own good'.

As for Beck, if you listen to what he's actually saying he isn't advocating death to fat people. He's advocating personal responsibility instead of government mandated behavior when it comes to health and obesity.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Hey, let's give it a shot. I'm a little soft in the gut myself, but I think as bad as things are these days, we should put all options on the table.

Let's go ahead and take the Glenn Beck approach for just a couple of years (in food, healthcare, and all other areas). Make everyone 100% responsible for themselves, and 0% responsible for anyone else, no ifs ands or buts.
You can buy any quality of food you want depending on how much you are willing to pay, and if it makes you sick you can have any quality of healthcare you want, depending on how much you are willing to pay, and if you die, that was your choice, because clearly with so much freedom you could have chosen to make a little more money and get healthier food or a better doctor, right?

Ditto for education by the way. You can spend thousands to get your kid a good education, you can spend hundreds to get him out of your hair for the day and get him a little practice socializing, or for about 30 bucks out the door you can get the kid a knife and a bus pass and tell him everything he needs to know is out there somewhere (probably at Glenn Beck's house). And that's no threat to Glenn. Glenn will empty both barrels into that kid before that knife even gets opened, cause he knows the score. The kid was no good, otherwise his parents would have bought him a nice education. You can't expect Glenn to spare children whose own parents admit they are a lost cause.

Naturally in the course of this experiment with pure capitalism our nation will collapse into several regions of varying stability, our economy will basically go away, and there may even be violence, but that's the whole point. That will kill everyone who can't pull their own weight, causing some kind of libertarian Utopia to almost automatically assemble itself for us, so that we can again come together as a nation, around the graves of people like Glenn Beck and thank them for inspiring us to stop supporting shiftless excusemongers like themselves out of some misguided notion that life remains sacred after the third trimester.

Too heavy on the irony?

edit on Thu 16 Sep 2010 by The Vagabond because: punctuation error

edit on Thu 16 Sep 2010 by The Vagabond because: added parenthetical in 2nd sentence for clarity

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
lets see

the government has told people they have too much money so they take yours
the government is now telling you you have too much fat so now we are going to tell you what you can eat

banning transfats
banning salt
tylenol products cant be sold off the shelf anymore
mcdonalds give people heart attacks.

wow people how the hell did i ever live so long without the federal government taking care of me? bah

simple fact as you get older you put on weight and theres nothing you can do to stop short of starvation but maybe thats the idea less people around means that many people wont need healthcare.

i am surprised they dont ban smoking or caffeine or alcohol and sex all those are unhealthy too...

please liberals save me!!!!!

edit on 16-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i am surprised they dont ban smoking or caffeine or alcohol and sex all those are unhealthy too...

They're working on the first, failed on the third, and quit giving them ideas with the other two!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Actually they tried caffeine as well... it was almost included in the controlled substances act.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Went a little bit extreme there, didn't you? What exactly is so wrong with expecting people to take responsibility for what they put in their mouths? If I eat nothing but junk food, it's my own fault when I gain weight from it. No one else should be responsible or have choices taken away from them because I can't moderate my junk food intake. Just as I shouldn't be responsible or have my choices taken away because of someone else's bad decisions.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Ah, I missed that one then. Thanks for the heads up, I stand corrected.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Haven't they already started food control with the whole trans fat thing? I could be wrong but I know my fries taste different these past few years

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

You do know that they can't enforce everything, right?

And if they tried to ban people from eating burgers? Do you honestly think that the fast-food industry is going to sit by and let that happen?

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

So you choose the asinine extreme of Glenn Beck's lunacy as a way to counter that fat people should take care of themselves or suffer the consequences they caused themselves?

I mean, anyone who thinks everything Beck says should be applied to policy is a god damn idiot.That's insane.

But in this case, it isn't any other persons responsibility. It shouldn't be. And we shouldn't be able to tell people how to live their lives if it doesn't truly affect another person.

edit on 16-9-2010 by SpectreDC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Curiousisall

But, wouldn't they be a diminishing burden anyway? The morbidly obese folks will take care of the problem on their own if they don't take care of themselves.

I have to lose weight and that's why I took offense to Beck. Beck does not have that problem and he has more money that most Americans. Who the # does he think he is to go after those who aren't as fortunate as him? It's a good motivator though. When I lose weight, I can kick his scrawny ass.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well, in your old age you are getting a little more vulnerable, so it may be the perfect time to switch to a big government- none of the taxes when you are young but all of the benefits when you are old? Your kids get the bad end of that deal, but don't you like you grandkids better anyway? Every other generation can have it made. The rest... I guess G-dub would say let them eat reduced capital gains taxes.

But seriously, I don't know where this paranoia that the government is going to "tell you what to eat" came from. Liberals want you to eat whatever you want, just like right now, except they want it to be safe for you to do so by making it impossible for them to sell you snouts and industrial waste and tell you it's an appetizing and healthy meal. And if you really really want the meat that dare no speak its name fried in mystery muck, I'm sure there will be some kind of permit for that, either immediately or after the SCOTUS rules on a haggis trial.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Perhaps I have been misunderstood. Clearly what you KNOWINGLY and WILLINGLY put into your body is your responsibility.

But when people are putting dangerous things in your food to cut costs and lying to you about it, and the government is either to inept or too corrupt to do anything about, then I say this is a shared problem.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

hahaha

I don't think they get it yet.

What Beck is saying is that you could be FINED or INSTITUTIONALIZED or PENALIZED for being fat.

Since everyone is paying for your fatness, government will claim the right to make you pay your fair share.

We get it. Well, I get it, was there really a need for explanation? In any case, we all already pay for the excessiveness others indulge in by way of higher insurance premiums.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Yep, I misunderstood you. I stand corrected.. Again. (Twice in one thread, I think it's bed time for me... Never let it be said I can't admit when I'm wrong.
)

I agree that it's a shared problem if we are being lied to about what is in the food we eat, or if public safety isn't taken into consideration in the preparation of said food.

edit on 16-9-2010 by Jenna because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Yeah, I can safely say that was the best post on the thread, right there.

You can't lean too heavy on the irony with Beck - he invites it.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Whimsical

Glenn Beck and his chalkboard, again. Isn't he the epitome of health and vitality?

Ha, ha! Those were my thoughts exactly.

He's arrogant and hateful.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

the paranoia comes from stuff previously mentioned.

as to my old age if i live that long i will live exactly as i have dependent on noone but myself

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Self Loathing at its finest. Beck is a fat slob himself. Will he just go away?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join