It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google engineer fired for snooping on emails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Google engineer fired for snooping on emails

www.independent.co.uk...

Google vowed to step up monitoring of its employees after firing an engineer who rifled through children's email accounts and phone records.

David Barksdale, a 27-year-old "site reliability engineer" with access to Google customers' private accounts, was fired after parents and children complained that he had used to the data to harass four minors, including a 15-year-old boy he had befriended.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

www.geek.com...
topnews.co.uk...

edit on 16-9-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: Re do links

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Google up to know good as usual.

Children's email accounts? Why would anyone look through those?

I use gmail as it's now called, but I don't keep any embarrassing or shocking details on there. Mainly because I don't have any, but if I did I certainly wouldn't be sharing them with Google. Seriously this company's privacy record gets chipped away at every month yet the company continues to grow exponentially!

They did the right thing by firing this bloke. But only because he got caught out. How many of these folks have full access to our accounts?

www.independent.co.uk...

edit on 16-9-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: Re do link

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

David Barksdale looks very creepy on that photo.

What was Barksdale's purpose/motivation of harassing these teenagers? It reads like Barksdale was getting high from the power he had over these Google users. But did he try to have sexual relations with these teenagers?

Either way, I hope he doesn't get another job where has this much access to such information.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I bet he plays WoW too. Possibly still lives at home, and is a major loner geek type who felt powerful messing around with people. Or maybe he is a huge prankster who took things too far, or knows no social bounderies on pranking. Who knows?

He sure acted blase in his comments regarding the article

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies folks!

He certainly does look the type. Although I have to say I have always wanted to play WoW, but I know as soon as I do it's goodbye real life! So I have refrained thus far.

It does seem to be a power thing as opposed to anything sexually deviant. But then they are quite lax on providing the details of what exactly he was caught doing. It is definitely a wake up call to anyone who believes there email account is totally private!

new topics

top topics

join