It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

capturing the atomic bomb on camera from 1945 to 1962(ive never seen anything like this before

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com... link to article and amazing slideshow that i hope no one ever sees in person

so i came accross these pictures not sure when they were originaly posted but i know most of them were taken with black and white but still some of them are things ive never heard of or seen and as as far as i know no one died directly making these and they are strangely beautiful in a horrible scary way

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
great images. I'd never seen most of those before. Great find and thanks for sharing

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
WOW
Just a couple of pictures in it shows a pacific ocean blast. If you look in the middle of the water tower you can see a huge warship standing straight up. That kind of made me realize the awesome power that these bombs hold. Way to much power for any man or country IMHO.

MOTF!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
pretty cool , but really scary considering that its so destructive !

hope i never get to see one in real life

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
yeah i think i speak for all of us when i say we only wanan see pictures of tests in our life never the real aftermath of a nuke the shock waves and the ones taken right as fission was occuring(thats what its calleld right?) were pretty stunning

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Here's three images from the selection. The first two are bizarre-looking...almost organic or like a microscopic image of bacteria? The third one captures some of the complexities of the technologies...beauty, power, source of energy. At the same time, these photographers very likely received a death sentence and a legacy of illness for their children...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46d24a4a8328.jpg[/atsimg]

images copyright to Peter Kuran@ NY Times

I've never really understood the need for continued testing of these things...hundreds of tests to this day. What's wrong with keeping the equations on paper? The initial concept was presented on paper and proven with the Trinity Tests. Shortly after, they were displayed to the world at Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

How many should it take to work out the cost, effect and benefit?

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Nice presentation OP. I noticed the BUS pic did the tires not get destroyed during that experiment. They look still inflated. Interesting non the less.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
How many should it take to work out the cost, effect and benefit?

There was a political agenda also don't forget, sure the tests all yielded new data, but that was the point, brinkmanship with atoms.

When the various agreements got made there was a flurry of testing that was about to be prohibited under international law, and even after that... Did you know America seriously intended to nuke the moon as an 'experiment'?? Sure it would have given us untold spectrography and seismic data - but it was pretty much the last place the Americans could show the world how good they are at putting a nuke where the heck they like.
Project A119

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Wow
those were devastatingly good pictures. Humans truly have out done themselves. We should be so proud of our "progress"

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The one thing I though about while looking at those photographs is that no matter how good our HD TV or 3D movies get, a 50+ year old photograph can still blow your mind.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
did anyone try the pictures with the audio option my speakers are blown but i bet that sounded pretty crazy and to the above post yeah i only saw one camera man in a radiation suit so mostlikely all the unsheilded people taking those photos are now dead

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Yhea get your self a set of headphones, there is a good commentary. He mentions that while he is in good shape a lot of the photographers have died.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
no regrets

edit on 16/9/2010 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
absolutely amazing photos!!!!!

such a shame its a weapon!

peace

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
superb photos..

But we need them as a deterent..
This was the very weapon which prevented all out war durin cold war era,,
And Indo-pak/china war in the recent past..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Watch, 'trinity and beyond' if ya interested in the atomic bomb story. It is narrated by william shatner and the footage is all newly released (in the 1990's) of testing from the first to the biggest one let off known to man (57megaton I think it was, by the russians on their own soil). The footage is breathtaking and kinda scary at the same time. I own a copy and watch it every now and then. Makes your heart skip a beat.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This show's the M65 280mm Atomic Cannon in action. Atomic cannon

edit on 09/23/2009 by D3nyIgnorance because: (no reason given)

edit on 09/23/2009 by D3nyIgnorance because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I am sure alot of you know already, but in the "organic" looking photos the strange spikes you see coming from the main fireball is actually the guide wires that helped steady the testing towers vapourising.

top topics

join