It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas officer fired after beating captured on dashcam video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Dallas police file charges against 3 officers and fire 1 after dashboard cams record beating

Three Dallas police officers, including one who was fired, will face criminal charges for their alleged roles in the beating of a suspect, which was caught on video by dashboard cameras, the police chief said Wednesday.

Andrew Collins, 28, suffered bruising and blood clots earlier this month after being struck by officers, who hit him about seven times with their fists and batons. The alleged beating lasted about 14 seconds following a chase.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.rawstory.com...

At least it is good that these officers are facing charges. All too often an officer is just suspended or fired and the people are cheated justice. When an officer is caught beating a civillian, It's not only bad for the victim, but also the public at large and especially the police forces as a whole. It garners hate, distrust and opposition to the police, which ultimately takes away the effectiveness of the good officers patrolling our streets.

When these officers are brought to justice, not only is justice often rightly served and the public protected from brutal authoritarians, but it helps the officers who are good, stay relevant. it is the bad apples that are making it harder for everyone, including the officers who are simply trying to do their jobs and serve the public.

Anyway, here is the video:

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Another video where the police forget they have handcuffs...I'll never get why every police beating video the cops will yell "stop resisting" while beating a suspect that is lying on the ground, and never once reach for their cuffs which would prevent most other further resistance.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
First of all this guy needs to learn to ride a little better. He obvoiusly had enough speed in that bike to outrun the police cruiser. If only he had the expierence he wouldnt have gotten his head beaten in for laying on the ground.

Reminds me of that South Park episode."They're coming right for us" BOOM.

Typical d-bag cops doing typical d-bag cop things.

Im not saying the guy is inocent or anything, im just saying that the beating of a submissive man on the ground is a little unexcusable.

MOTF!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
don't run from cops = don't get your ass beat

Simple enough

Hypothetically speaking - what if this d'bag cyclist caused an accident which hurt/killed your wife/daughter/mother simply because he decided to run from the police. Would you feel so bad?

Also another point to ponder - think this thug will run from the cops again after what happened? What is the point of punishment for crime? Right...to prevent it from happening....again.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
After viewing the video tape and the article, there are a few things to be brought up.
Now in the video tape,the suspect did violate the law, driving over the sidewalks, the question should be, what would have been the public response if he had hit a child or an elderly person or anyone in his reckless drive? Did he deserve to get beaten like that, I do not know, nor can we see if he was struggling, as it dropped right down to below where the camera was pointed, and blocked by the view of the bike. I would say he should count himself as lucky that the officer following him, did not pit maneuver that bike as he would have been in the hospital.
But ultimately this is a case where 2 wrongs do not make a right. The first is the person on the bike, did he deserve to get his ass whooped, yes, as his actions were to antagonize the police persuing him and he did it deliberately, should he have no, as there may be a case of excessive police force was used.
Some have mentioned about the police using handcuffs, well that would require that the suspect be cooperative to put them on, as they have to be put on, and adjusted to prevent any injury to the suspect, and if the suspect is being combative, the question needs to be, what are the police options then to deal with such?
That is a question that has yet to be answered, what exactly should be the police response with force, when it is required? How far should they go, and to what extent, if the suspect is combative or refuses to cooperate, resisting the officer who is trying to make a lawful arrest?

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Welcome to Global Meltdown!

A special forum for the discussion of the global meltdown of financial markets and the possibility of behind-the-scenes manipulation of commodity, financial, and equity markets designed to initiate global chaos.

Source

Thank You
OBE1

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Police officers are some of the angriest people on the planet. "You don't know the stress of my job, man. No one respects us." Cry some more, pu__ies. You don't take that kind of job for respect, well, unless you are a power-hungry and egotistical nut job. With that being said, this guy didn't get beat too bad.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

A cop's job is to uphold the law. He is not a judge and jury, nor is he above the laws that he is supposed to be upholding.

Hypothetically speaking - what if this d'bag cyclist caused an accident which hurt/killed your wife/daughter/mother simply because he decided to run from the police. Would you feel so bad?

There are laws for that and he should be punished if he is guilty, however this doesn't give the officer a right to break the law. The officer then becomes just as bad, if not worse, than the person he is beating. At least the cyclist didn't produce a victim, nor did he commit an act of violence, as the cop did.

think this thug will run from the cops again after what happened? What is the point of punishment for crime? Right...to prevent it from happening....again.

Again, the cop is not qualified to make that determination. We are supposed to be a civilized country based on laws and the idea of due process, something this cop obviously fails to embody.

The police are supposed to uphold the law, not break it or create it. They, of all people, should know what the law is and therefore excuses are valid.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
What happen to 'Protect and Serve'? Or 'Peace Officers'?? I think these folks forget they're public servants... Our taxes put food on their table. We employ them and like any employer we should be able to terminate them if they're not performing their job in the manner expected. Why dont we exercise the right to fire them, to replace them like we would with any person who abuses our tax money? It shouldnt be left up to a police chief or a board of fellow officers. It should be the good citizens who pay their wages and I say fire those who fail to protect and serve.

I think this is almost funny but like anyone who fails to perform their job description they should be replaced by someone who will.
www.icrc.org...$File/ICRC_002_0845.PDF

Kim

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Couldn't have said it better if I tried, spoon.

These guys are not Judge Dredd. You want a bunch of low-IQ dudes running around cracking sticks over your head going "I AM THE LAWWWW!"

He used way too much force for a man who placed himself on the pavement. If you can't control your reaction to the adrenaline that gets pumping during a chase, find a new job. Dude had the high and tight cut too, if he's not military that should tell you about his mentality.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
i would have hit his bike with my cruiser several times. I would have gotten right beside him untill the camera couldnt see him any more then i would have either gotten in frount of him and slamed the brakes or just sideswiped him.

Theres no excuse for the way he was driving that bike... and he should have bitten dust well before the cops had a chance to beat him.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

Simple enough

You mean like this guy who was skipping down the sidewalk??

Oh wait.. he got the tar beat out of him and he didn't do anything wrong. The investigation is still going on. I could give you a number of other examples.

Some cops are some of the finest people walking the face of the earth.

Some not so much.

As they say about the box of chocolates - you just never know if you'll get a nutty one.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
They were just talking about this a local radio station. According to the report I just heard, one of the officers involved in this incident went back to the police cruiser and tilted the camera away from the suspect, so the camera couldn't capture anything else. I hope obstruction of justice charges are brought up against that officer.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

Simple enough

Where?
In Russia?

I'm sorry you have to live in a place where officers take it upon themselves to beat you for allegedly committing a crime, my friend.

I mean what if someone died from a beating just because they ran a red light and didn't stop when the Police wanted them to?

Thank God that above-the-law abuse isn't legal in America.

Originally posted by Frogs
You mean like this guy who was skipping down the sidewalk??

Laying down on the ground after running from officers?
That's a beating.

Skipping down the sidewalk in front of officers?
Oh yeah, that's a beating.

- Lee

new topics

top topics

join