It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC to try banning smoking in parks and at beaches

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

NYC to try banning smoking in parks and at beaches

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK – New York City is pursuing a tough new policy that would shoo smokers out of public parks, beaches and even the heart of Times Square — one of the most ambitious outdoor anti-tobacco efforts in the nation.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration and city lawmakers announced Wednesday that they will pursue a broad extension of the city's smoking ban to 1,700 parks and 14 miles of public beaches, plus boardwalks, marinas and pedestrian plazas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Lawmakers said the goal is to keep people from smoking inside the plazas, not to trick smokers into getting ticketed.

"The point of this bill isn't 'Gotcha,'" said City Council Speaker Christine Quinn. "Our goal is not to get a gentleman or a lady who's walking across the street."

I do not smoke, and personally hate 2nd hand cigarette smoke, but I figure this is going to piss a bunch of people off, and frankly , I do not blame them.

I do not like to be around 2nd hand smoke, and I am aware of the dangers from it and even 3rd hand smoke..... but I respect a smokers right to smoke in public, especially outdoors!

I feel this ban will be hard to enforce. and It is just one more example to too much government.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I live in a area where this is in force, my beautiful beach you cant smoke on and i think its great, its not really enforceable, but it does act as a good deterrant.

More and more Sydney councils are looking to pass this, and I suggest NY do the same, was just there, and I noticed how many people smoke on the streets, maybe a cultural thing, but back home in OZ i have gotten use to being in a smoke free environment for the most of it and that's how I like my lungs to be protected.

I have been a smoker in the past, and am not a anti smoker, all I knowz is someone else
smoking near you is revolting.

I hope it passes in NY, and Im sure non smokers lungs will be greateful that someone cares about their civil liberties...or their right to not inhale.......

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
more of King Bloomberg the fascist dictating to us that we're not allowed to smoke outdoors because he doesn't like it. can we finally get this clown out of office? his terms in office have been nothing but ego massage.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolstarr

I do not like to be around 2nd hand smoke, and I am aware of the dangers from it and even 3rd hand smoke..... but I respect a smokers right to smoke in public, especially outdoors!

What, pray tell, is 3rd hand smoke?

In re: topic, you can't ban smoking outdoors, it's ridiculous; you'd be better off banning car exhaust if you are worried about people's health.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

This is just more freedom that NYC americans will lose. Not only that but this will lead to more freedoms being taken away.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Third hand smoke is residue left over by second hand smoke....

Add a new health threat to smoking: In addition to the harm caused by actually smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke, so-called third-hand smoke may also pose a threat, particularly to babies and toddlers.

A new study reveals that the residue of nicotine that lingers on surfaces can react with another chemical in the air to form potent carcinogens — chemicals linked to various cancers. While first-hand smoke is that inhaled directly by the smoker and second-hand is the smoke exhaled (and inhaled by others), third-hand smoke is the residue from second-hand smoke.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
I live in a area where this is in force, my beautiful beach you cant smoke on and i think its great, its not really enforceable, but it does act as a good deterrant.

More and more Sydney councils are looking to pass this, and I suggest NY do the same, was just there, and I noticed how many people smoke on the streets, maybe a cultural thing, but back home in OZ i have gotten use to being in a smoke free environment for the most of it and that's how I like my lungs to be protected.

I have been a smoker in the past, and am not a anti smoker, all I knowz is someone else
smoking near you is revolting.

I hope it passes in NY, and Im sure non smokers lungs will be greateful that someone cares about their civil liberties...or their right to not inhale.......

If your one worry of the air quality in New York City is cigarette smoke, you've likely never actually been to New York City.

In fact, it shouldn't even be a priority.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

reply to post by eNumbra

Third hand smoke is residue left over by second hand smoke....

Add a new health threat to smoking: In addition to the harm caused by actually smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke, so-called third-hand smoke may also pose a threat, particularly to babies and toddlers.

A new study reveals that the residue of nicotine that lingers on surfaces can react with another chemical in the air to form potent carcinogens — chemicals linked to various cancers. While first-hand smoke is that inhaled directly by the smoker and second-hand is the smoke exhaled (and inhaled by others), third-hand smoke is the residue from second-hand smoke.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

OR They are making this 3rd hand smoking crap up so that they can enforce more laws. This thread makes me proud to be living in the south where we still some freedoms left.

edit on 16-9-2010 by Ancient Champion because: Typo

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The problem with this, is that it confirms to the general population what is being stated about the local and federal governments are quickly starting to become the Nanny State, treating people like children. Oh you may think that this is not the case, but isn't it? They are following a set of guidelines, that starts out with a nudge saying you should not do something, then slowly start to make it more and more difficult for a person not to do something, till you get to the point where it is banned outright. Oh right now it does not seem like this is a bad idea, but consider the following:
NYC was the first to go after fast food, heaven forbid that someone should eat something that is high in fats and calories, so they demanded that nutrition be put out, and every one from the east to the west did such. Then it was well lets ban salt from public eating establishments, and they are still working on that. Now it is a person cannot smoke outside in parks or other public areas, next will be that people who smoke can't work a particular job, or live in certain areas. And in this case, they are agressive with going after the users of tobacco, raising the tax rate on a regular basis, along with making it more and more difficult for such. Just wait the ban/prohibition of such is right around the corner. They are taking baby steps, and if no one calls them out or takes them to court, they will keep continuing on with these actions till they can dictate to the people what they believe is good for them, only to create more of a mess.
And then what will you do with the gap in the budget and the number of businesses who go under cause of these laws? After all alot of convience stores, the majority of what they make the money on is the sale of tobacco, alcohole and salty products.
One of these days, if we are not careful, the very ability for us to choose may quickly become eroded to very few choices.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

sure, i just thought id lie about being there a week ago lol.
every bit counts cleaning up the air...i'll go back to enjoying my smoke free beaches..... no big to me what ny does

edit on 16-9-2010 by zazzafrazz because: spellingzzz

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

The leading cause of skin cancer is exposure to sunlight

Hoperfully we will have laws banning sunlight soon, too.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

What, pray tell, is 3rd hand smoke?

In re: topic, you can't ban smoking outdoors, it's ridiculous; you'd be better off banning car exhaust if you are worried about people's health.

3rd hand smoke is when one non smoker tells another non smoker about having to breath in someone else's second hand smoke and he gets so upset about it that his lungs spontaneously collapse.
The people attending his funeral all have to put up from the effects of 4th hand smoke caused by him being cremated.

Damn dirty smokers

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz

how many laws are there now, zazzafrazz?

what is the number of mandatory expectations (laws) one has to conform to in order to be FREE IN AMERICA????

can any child born today live long enough to learn them all? friends and family do not tell friends and family that they must obey more rules than they can learn in one lifetime in order to be friends and family.

and if you are not my friends and you are not my family, then what are you?

being born an american is like sitting a bunch of 2 year olds down to play monopoly and slapping them in the face when they don't play by the rules. maybe not a fair analogy since children in warzones endure more than just being slapped in their faces, in the spirit of "freedom".

zazzafrazz,

if america locked up all the supreme court justices in a big plush hotel room with all they needed, and all the pens and paper required ..... and did not let them out until they wrote down from memory word for word ALL existing laws, ... do you think they would live long enough to finish the job?

-et

edit on 16-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: because i changed something

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

liviing in a smoke free environment, really isnt that dramatic.
It went smoke free when i was a smoker, and as I said, noone i know who smokes really cared, they know its a bad habit that kills you and others, the civil liberties thing didnt really come up....maybe thats an american worry...anyway.
good luck yall

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I'm assuming that the tradition Australian beach BBQ is also banned along with cigarettes then?
Can't have people suffering from second hand barbecue smoke and all of those carcinogens in the burnt burgers.
Not to mention all of that nasty skin cancer coming from the Sun
and then theres the Jelly Fish.

I'm starting to think we should ban anyone from ever visiting a beach at all without supervision, those places are just dangerous

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I'm starting to think we should ban anyone from ever visiting a beach at all without supervision, those places are just dangerous

And they're worried about New York beaches; have you seen the trash all over New Jersey's beaches?

...and I don't just mean the litter.

Also toolstar, Third Hand Smoke

The term "third-hand smoke" was recently coined to identify the residual tobacco smoke contamination that remains after the cigarette is extinguished and secondhand smoke has cleared from the air.[56][57][58]

It's not contamination and residue, it's just the smoke from a smoldering tobacco product not inhaled or exhaled.

edit on 9/16/2010 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Maybe they should ban cars too, and even farting, as we all know the effects of greenhouse gasses on the environment.
illseed.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Yeah, I was just trying to point out, I subscribe to the thought of this is just too much government control, even though I personally don't smoke, or like to be around smoke.

Back to the ol' Ben Franklin quote "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This is just more ridiculousness from an increasingly ridiculous city. With all the problems Bloomberg could worry about I think it's pretty telling that he focuses on something pointless like this. He doesn't have to worry about crime, property values, taxes or education because he's one of the richest men in the country.

All this serves to do is make it easier for places like the Central Park Precinct to fulfill their arrest and ticket quotas and will give them more reason to stop and frisk people in the park. Of course, all the money from the new tickets will go right into the pockets of the corrupt politicians.

I've lived in NYC for 30 years and I honestly can't wait to move.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join