It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope warns of "atheist extremism" on visit to Britain

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by mr-lizard
He's a joke.

Somebody should tell him that atheism is the OLDEST belief on the planet.

I'm fairly certain Adam wasn't an Atheist.

Given that we know we didn't come to be just by Adam & Eve reproducing...it doesn't really matter what Adam was. He's a fictional character, just like Harry Potter

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

He's a joke.

Given that we know we didn't come to be just by Adam & Eve reproducing...it doesn't really matter what Adam was. He's a fictional character, just like Harry Potter

It takes a male and a female to create a child.

Adam is a male.... Eve is a female.....

Maybe you should rephrase your statement. And thanks for your opinion on whether Adam existed or not - considering over the last 5000 years there have been plenty of Adams in history. Would you like to debate which ones did or did not exist? I think we'd both be fools to argue what we were not around to witness ourselves.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Well, if he's talking about the Genesis Adam...that's clearly just a story. Unless Adam's a metaphor for a single cell organism that lived billions of years ago of course

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

He's a joke.

I'm fairly certain Adam didn't exist.

You linked a Hitler quote from a public speech the man made. You should link what he told private pro-nazi personal friends as regards to Christianity instead. the man played the people for fools, he most certianly was no Christian and acted like one whenever speaking to the public.

This is the mentality that really gets me, if someone doesn't conform exactly to your beliefs and interpretations, then they're not a Christian...

He most certainly was a Christian, just because you don't agree with what he did does not mean he was an atheist. So Pope Pius XI and XII weren't actually Catholic?

So are you saying that the Christian public supported the extermination of the Jews? You're simply shifting the responsibility from Hitler onto the public.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

LOL, even secular Anthropologists say we all came from a single woman.

Try again.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

Try again.

Oh really...how 'bout you get us some quotes as proof?

We most certainly did NOT come from a single woman, sry to burst your bubble

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The Pope is a defender of child rapists world wide.

For all I care, he drop dead on a bed of nails.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

reply to post by MrXYZ

Try again.

Oh really...how 'bout you get us some quotes as proof?

We most certainly did NOT come from a single woman, sry to burst your bubble

en.wikipedia.org...

But NOTurTypical's argument is just a straw man, a misrepresentation in order to make the idea seem ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jerry_Teps
Both Pope Pius XI and XII (not very original are they?) were anti-semetic and actually supported the Nazis. Perhaps you should base your interpretation on historical facts, rather than religious dogma?

Mr. Pot? There's a Mr. Kettle on the line...

You might want to take your own advice and look into the actual background of Pope Pius (XII) and the holocaust. I'd suggest that you start with Rabbi David Dalin's The Myth of Hitler's Pope.

The very worst that can be said about Pope Pius was that he didn't do enough. That's debatable. That he continuously acted on the behalf of the Jews during WWII isn't.

Eric

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Where did I say I was a Theist or atheist? The blind faith and at times blatant ignorance of agnostics at times never ceases to amaze me.
Your assumption that I speak from religious or non-religious conviction just reinforces that view.

Do you deny that the Germans, a Christian country, supported the Nazi party throughout WWII?

If I was to offer a quote from Hitler stating that he had no intention to invade the whole of Czechoslovakia after he had been gifted The Sudetanland would you thus assume that all subsequent reports of his expansionism as false?

No, it shows that policy changed, and before you turn this around on me, you actually have to prove that Hitler was an atheist. Which apparently, the fact he kill 3 million Catholics for political reasons is proof enough. (so I suppose that the Catican was also atheist? Or that it was atheist during the inquisition?)

And the FACTS are that 3million Catholics died in Nazi death camps and that many Catholics, along side some Protestants and even some Atheists I dare say, were actively involved with the underground movement.

What's your point? You are only showing 3 million Catholics died. That does not mean he is atheist, that is a non-sequitur.

Hitler may indeed have used Christianity as a tool to help justify his anti-semitism, but it was one of many.

Which is just shifting the religious justification from Hitler onto the people.

The Vatican's stance during WWII is unforgivable.

Something we can both agree on.

But that does not mean that all Catholic's of the day supported Hitler or that those that followed are Nazi sympathisers.

I never said that. You are putting words into my mouth.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerry_Teps

This is the mentality that really gets me, if someone doesn't conform exactly to your beliefs and interpretations, then they're not a Christian...

He most certainly was a Christian, just because you don't agree with what he did does not mean he was an atheist.

Speaking of "straw men"... I never claimed Hitler was an Atheist, I stated he was NOT a Christian. He also was not an Atheist either. He was a "deist", meaning he believed in a general creator. Jesus said to "beware of wolves in sheep's clothing.." and I think Jesus knew what he was speaking of, i.e. people claiming to be followers of Him, but who were not. Jesus never said to "beware of wolves in wolves clothing.."

When Hitler was speaking to the German masses he knew they were heavily Christian, and he played them like a fiddle for his own purposes. Here is another Hitler quote speaking about PROPAGANDA:

"To whom should propaganda be addressed? … It must be addressed always and exclusively to the masses… The function of propaganda does not lie in the scientific training of the individual, but in calling the masses' attention to certain facts, processes, necessities, etc., whose significance is thus for the first time placed within their field of vision. The whole art consists in doing this so skilfully that everyone will be convinced that the fact is real, the process necessary, the necessity correct, etc. But since propaganda is not and cannot be the necessity in itself … its effect for the most part must be aimed at the emotions and only to a very limited degree at the so-called intellect… it's soundness is to be measured exclusively by its effective result". (Main Kampf, Vol 1, Ch 6 and Ch 12)

Now, let's see what hitler had to say about Christianity behind closed doors to his trusted aides: Many of these were recorded by his secretary and published in a book called "Hitler's Table Talk" (Adolf Hitler, London, Weidenfeld & Nicholson, 1953)

"The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity. Bolshevism is Christianity's illegitimate child. Both are inventions of the Jew. The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity....Let it not be said that Christianity brought man the life of the soul, for that evolution was in the natural order of things." (p 6 & 7)

"Christianity is a rebellion against natural law, a protest against nature. Taken to its logical extreme, Christianity would mean the systematic cultivation of the human failure." (p.43)

"The best thing is to let Christianity die a natural death.... When understanding of the universe has become widespread... Christian doctrine will be convicted of absurdity....
"Christianity has reached the peak of absurdity.... And that's why someday its structure will collapse....
"...the only way to get rid of Christianity is to allow it to die little by little....
"Christianity the liar....
"We'll see to it that the Churches cannot spread abroad teachings in conflict with the interests of the State."
(p 49-52)

"The reason why the ancient world was so pure, light and serene was that it knew nothing of the two great scourges: the pox and Christianity."

"Christianity is an invention of sick brains: one could imagine nothing more senseless, nor any more indecent way of turning the idea of the Godhead into a mockery.... ....
"When all is said, we have no reason to wish that the Italians and Spaniards should free themselves from the drug of Christianity. Let's be the only people who are immunised against the disease."
(p 118-119)

"There is something very unhealthy about Christianity." (p 339)

and finally:

"It would always be disagreeable for me to go down to posterity as a man who made concessions in this field. I realize that man, in his imperfection, can commit innumerable errors-- but to devote myself deliberately to errors, that is something I cannot do. I shall never come personally to terms with the Christian lie."
"Our epoch in the next 200 years will certainly see the end of the disease of Christianity.... My regret will have been that I couldn't... behold ."
(p 278)

Deny YOUR Ignorance

edit on 16-9-2010 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
As someone who is open minded, I concede, I was incorrect.

---

Rather than just not posting, I acknowledge that I was incorrect, I really hate it when people just stop posting after you refute their argument.

I am also non-incredulous (if that's a word, too tired to think), I am willing to listen to a well presented and logical argument.

edit on 17-9-2010 by Jerry_Teps because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I'm fairly sure Adam was an Allegorical story... and never actually existed.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I just hope that the dirty old Zionist Pope doesn't bring a trail of pedophile priests along, and lace Susan Boyle's drink with '___', put her in a compromising postion, then blackmail the hell out of her for the rest of her life.

I have no use the for the Zionist Illuminati, no matter the supposed religion....Zionism is Satanism.

(Maybe I am just crotchety because I can't get my music into the mainstream, because the Illuminati "control" the venue.
:flame

edit on 17-9-2010 by canadiansenior70 because: misspell

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

the UK was in the grip of "a new and aggressive atheism"
More like, the UK is in the grip of "a new found common sense".
2nd

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I know man.

As I said, It makes me smile to know that people over here are now feeling like this.... and they see religion for what it truly is.

This is just scaremongering by the head of a dying religion.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jerry_Teps

:O

You're rare on this website. I'm just thrilled you read the quotes and link and found out you were in error the first time.

And sorry I appeared wroth, I hate when people claim that Hitler was a Christian because of what he said in his speeches.

I do find another Hitler obscure fact interesting/absurd...

Hitler also thought of himself a "moral person" because he rarely used swear words, Can you imagine that???

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

Maybe you should rephrase your statement. And thanks for your opinion on whether Adam existed or not - considering over the last 5000 years there have been plenty of Adams in history. Would you like to debate which ones did or did not exist? I think we'd both be fools to argue what we were not around to witness ourselves.

5000 years? Can you say the last 250000 years? Maybe there have been Adams and Eves even longer than that, who knows? Certainly not those people who wrote the bible, they had no clue. Some probably even thought the earth was flat at the time. We just don't know, we will never know anything for sure for that matter. And that's ok. Part of life. When we die, we will know, but what's the use then?

Joe

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S
reply to post by blupblup

the UK was in the grip of "a new and aggressive atheism"
More like, the UK is in the grip of "a new found common sense".
2nd

Hopefully this will be the very last visit ever from Rattigan from the Vatican, and his frocky friends.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
How do you tackle the rise of atheism in this country. How can you convince intelligent and sane individuals that any religion is the truth without providing one iota of evidence? All I see is insecurity within religion, insecure that your beliefs have so many holes in them, knowing you have to take a leap in logic to justify your beliefs.

I would like to see some examples of extreme atheist activity in the UK, I've never heard of any, so if someone has some evidence i'd like to see it.

Is Peter Thatchell atheists no.1 extremest? Hardly a danger really is he.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join