It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope warns of "atheist extremism" on visit to Britain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnactedEgoTrip
I sincerely hope someone manages to get to this piece of # and murder him. Its disgusting that the tax payer is paying for this subhuman scums protection. The Vatican can afford it, the bill should go to the catholic church.

Yeah I dunno about that man, I don't think calling for his death is really a very decent or moral thing to do.
The guy is a despicable character and a complete asshole... but calling for his death is certainly as disgusting as anything he has done.

I'm certainly not a fan (as my thread and comments indicate) but calling for his death is wrong man.
You should take that back.... It's easy to hide behind a computer and call for peoples deaths... real clever.

edit on 16/9/10 by blupblup because: Because I can't spell

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by OurManInGlasgow
I have to disagree...the sense of spirituality/religion is a guiding force to the way that peoples choose to live their lives...If someone says to me that God, (or spirituality, or some 'higher power'), doesn't exist then to me they are basically saying that morality doesn't exist

The Idea that religion or religious beliefs and morals are somehow inextricably linked is actually not only ridiculous and fallacious... but just absurd too.
The amount of incest and murder and just downright amoral behaviour in the Bible is quite alarming.

If anything, the Bible has influenced evil and wrongdoing far more than any lack of belief ever could.

, I really resent being told by athiests such as them as to what the 'moral' way to live my life should be...

Not that atheists do tell you how to live your life..... but what about religious folk getting involved in peoples relationships and sexuality... and many other social issues?

I think as we live in a secular society, then that's how it should be.

Live and let live man.

But don't plaster this crap all over the TV. The hype that this Paedophile protector has created.... both good and bad, and the money this visit is costing... is just ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

If someone says to me that God, (or spirituality, or some 'higher power'), doesn't exist then to me they are basically saying that morality doesn't exist and are probably making an excuse for themselves for some sort of wrong they are planning to commit against me.

Morality is not the domain of a cloud guy...morality is a offshoot of society preservation..do not murder..good plan, else the human species will deteriorate into nothing...do not steal...true that, I don't want people taking my stuff therefore dont take other peoples stuff, etc...cavemen can figure out the basic tenants of morality...and they did, else we wouldn't be here today.

As far as an excuse...consider this. Jesus forgives sins...confess and your absolved of all your wrongdoing and voila...a magic wand made all your naughty actions disappear....
a athiest has nobody to confess sins to, nobody to absolve themself from their wrong doings...all they have in their mind is their legacy to pass down...therefore a athiest would logically be more careful about their actions. A fanatically religious person can (and often has) murder people in the name of their faith, only to wash away the sins later on. History is littered with examples of this.

For every one atrosity a athiest has done, there are mountains religious people have done.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

The amount of incest and murder and just downright amoral behaviour in the Bible is quite alarming.

If anything, the Bible has influenced evil and wrongdoing far more than any lack of belief ever could.

But don't plaster this crap all over the TV. The hype that this Paedophile protector has created.... both good and bad, and the money this visit is costing... is just ridiculous.

I actually agree with you to a great extent...

But there is also something more fundamental going on here I believe (and this is something that the Pope alluded to in his speech), and it is that there is a real attack being made on religion and spirituality by athiests in Britain:

A parade of celebrities - many of them Left-wing atheists - have signed up to an orchestrated campaign against the Pope's state visit to Britain.

In the concerted anti-religious protest, comedians, authors and prominent academics, including Stephen Fry and Terry Pratchett, have joined forces in an attempt to whip up public opposition to the pontiff.

The provocative move comes amid deepening hostility between the Vatican and secular campaigners in Britain.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Is it just a coincidence that the U.K. is a fortress of social engineering?

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Hhhhmmm Your philosophy seems to be "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Interesting... I knew a man who believed that exact same thing. He was against the church, or synagogue at the time, and he lived his life and died for this belief.

Too bad, another church usurped his teachings and shrouded them in the same veil of pontification as the one he rebelled against. Perhaps if they had not done that, more would understand the meaning of his message.

Thank you for sharing my Brother. I learned a lot.

Judge not, Love all, be at peace.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Re: OurManInGlasgow

You wrote:

"Yes, there's nothing wrong with a bit of athiestic Nazism, Communism et al...better add athiest social engineering as well to that list (social engineering in fact being the dominant ideology in the U.K. today)."

So people not FOR you are AGAINST you. Then you can put them in one of YOUR small pigeonholes and congratelate yourself of having won an intellectual victory. Did you learn this kind of brilliant logic in sunday-school, or are you just an autodidact philosopher?

You also wrote:

"There has never been a culture found on Earth that did not have a relligious/spiritual belief...

Unless you're a Darwinian and are referring to the monkeys that predated Man and from which he supposedly developed from...personally I think aspiring to the belief system of monkeys does not seem a sound basis... "

So religion came first? But social engineering didn't turn up before godless commies and 'gott-mitt-uns'-nazis arrived at the scene? You MAY have heard about the inquisition, and all what it implied.

And please, ....pleeease tell me the victims of the inquisition 'had it coming', I love hearing fundamentalists say this kind of things out loud. You can bring down 'christianity' all on your own without any outside help.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

But there is also something more fundamental going on here I believe (and this is something that the Pope alluded to in his speech), and it is that there is a real attack being made on religion and spirituality by athiests in Britain:

I don't see these protests as an attack on religion per se.... mainly an attack on the Pope himself.
He allows millions to die of aids around the world and allows babies to be born into poverty and disease because of his views and instructions on contraception.

His attitude towards homosexuality and towards women in the church.

All of it.

It is not really religion that most people, and certainly these protesters have an issue with, It is with this archaic and unnecessary man coming over here to spread his crap.

There is no concerted effort by atheists worldwide to rid the world of religion.

I just think atheism, agnosticism and all round.... "Don't give a crap one way or the other", are all on the rise because people are slowly becoming more and more enlightened, intelligent and are thinking more critically and honestly about the role of the church and organised religion in their lives and the role it plays in society.

It may be apathy... it may be that people just aren't interested in it so much any more.

But Britain is indeed a secular society and one, if the polls are to be believed, that is becoming more and more Atheist & Agnostic.
Or as I said... they just don't care one way or the other.

edit on 16/9/10 by blupblup because: spelling, as usual

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I don't know why the pope would even expect a warm welcome in Scotland or England as neither of them are Catholic countries.
The majority of Scottish churches are Calvinist which has nothing to do with the pope and England has "The church of England" which is mainly based on holding jumble sales and baking cakes..

He deserves no more respect on these shores then some radical Muslim cleric preaching intolerance and hatred..

Why he even bothered to come here is beyond me,.

edit on 16-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Double post

edit on 16-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If someone requires transport with bullet proof glass, what does that say about how his time on this planet has been spent?

I am so sick of people who insist that every life is important, yet fail to realise by allowing certain people to exist they are endangering and destroying many many innocent lives.

The millions of pounds of British tax-payers money could go a long way to helping people in actual need, rather than to protect someone.

To quote Ambassador Spock "The needs of the many outwieigh the needs of the few"

There are many in dire poverty, many who die of hunger, or disease, yet this disgusting man is the head of one of many organisations on this planet that hoarde the resources so a few can live lavishly. So tell me, exactly how is keeping people who have no regard for the lives of anyone other than themselves alive for the benefit of humanity?

This country is going through a bad time at the hands of corrupt people, and here comes another one from outside to take away even more of our money, amidst all the spending cuts and people going without what they rightfully have earned as a result.

There is hope for some people, who go to jail or are punished in other ways for their crimes, yet these CEO's, bankers, religious leaders, politicians etc are all exempt from the laws everyone else has to follow. They are extremely dangerous people who's continued existence is destroying not only human lives but all life on and including the planet too.

So yes I call for his death, and the death of every other person who fits the bill.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by EnactedEgoTrip

Fair enough then,

If that's how you feel and call for his death then who am I to say otherwise.
You put together an interesting argument/case and while I may disagree about the killing of this man, almost anyone really.... I don't think death is the answer, I still respect your right to voice your protestations.

The guy is completely abhorrent.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Well exactly,

en.wikipedia.org...

The reformation parliament of 1560, which repudiated the pope's authority, forbade the celebration of the mass and approved a Protestant Confession of Faith, was made possible by a revolution against French hegemony under the regime of the regent Mary of Guise, who had governed Scotland in the name of her absent daughter Mary, Queen of Scots (then also Queen of France). The Scottish reformation decisively shaped the Church of Scotland[and, through it, all other Presbyterian churches worldwide.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Im no Catholic, but the guy deserves a little more respect for the sum of his lifes work than to be vilified as a pedophilia-endorser by an anonymous internet-goon who worships Batman. Read up on the guys achievements, then compare them to your achievements, Batman-Fan.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

Yes... Batman is my God, all worship at the cape of Batman.

Yes, a truly great man he is.
en.wikipedia.org...

You can respect him all you like and attack me all you like.
I am attacking the Pope, along with many others, for actual real reasons.... he causes the deaths of many, many people.

What is it (apart from have an avatar that you dislike) that I'm supposed to have done?

edit on 16/9/10 by blupblup because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

An attack on religion and spirituality? Or an attack on the bigoted anti-christ from Rome?

I don't recall such public outrage when the Dalai Lama visited Britain. Or even Billy Graham.

(the fact this tour is costing the tax payer so much doesn't help)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lucid eyes

Could you list some of his achievements as so far all I'm finding is
Joined the Hitler Youth
Went to University
Wrote quite a lot of religious books and articles.
Became Pope
Decried material goods and consumerism while sitting on a solid gold chair and drinking from a gold cup
Said that gay people were destroying humanity

I don't exactly see any major achievements on this list, maybe we have different definitions of the word achievement.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hm. Have to say I find the guys speech offensive. 'Atheist Extremism' indeed. oooh, touchy.

However, I recognise he has the right to say so without being threatened. As the spokesperson for Catholicism Inc he has just as much right to peddle his wares as Islam Inc or Scientology Inc.

I'd rather the money spent on the visit went elsewhere but its an obligation of a nation state to look after visiting heads of other states. Vatican City is a nation state and the Pope is therefore the head of state. Thats why he is being treated accordingly at UK taxpayers expense.

A feel sorry for him in some ways. Captain of a sinking ship and he knows it. In the end unless he starts levitating or throwing bolts of divine lightning from his fingers I expect the vast majority of people in the UK will just give the whole thing a damned good ignoring.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I've watched some of the coverage today and I just feel sick. So many crazy people who are in awe of this man and his church. I was born too early. I should have been born in the future, preferably at the the time when the religious are viewed as the mentally ill people that they are.

edit on 16/9/2010 by DSSONE because: (no reason given)

edit on 16/9/2010 by DSSONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DSSONE

And when was that?

We are by far less religious now than we have ever been!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I guess causing death and suffering through views on birth control, criticising people's sexuality and so are to be seen as achievements?

His letter was an achievement I guess..
en.wikipedia.org...

To be fair to the guy.... he speaks out for refugees and migrants... so hey, that's something I guess.

edit on 16/9/10 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join