It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to examine a flying object on a video? Was it the ISS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I've captured something strange flying past in the sky on 30th August this year. I've just uploaded it to my computer now and had a proper look but as it is so small, it's not a very good video at all (filmed on a digital camera).

I wonder if there are any ways to examine this object on the video, as people do with photos?
Also, I am currently on the heavens above website, trying to figure out if it was the ISS crossing our paths that night. I've managed to get the ground track plot image and found that the ISS was crossing the north of France 25 minutes earlier (I was in the West Midlands UK) so this seems unlikely.

The object I filmed seemed like it was directly above us, it was going faster than any normal satellite, and not taking the normal path. It wasn't flashing like a plane or glowing like a chinese lantern.

If anyone could help me figure out what this was I would appreciate any help, thanks!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I realise you probably want to see the object before commenting so I've uploaded it to YouTube. They are only short, and zoom is poor on the camera.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
There really isn't anything in the video to "examine". It's just a point of light.

I'm not sure what you mean by "normal path". Satellites travel in a multitude of different orbits. According to Heavens-Above the ISS made two passes (very bright ones) over the West Midlands on the 30th. One at 20:43 and one at 12:18.

At 21:07 the UARS (a research satellite) made a pass at magnitude 0.6 which is quite bright. Its track took it from the southwestern horizon to the east-northeastern horizon. It took 6 minutes to make entire pass. Could that have been it?

edit on 9/16/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
As noted above, there is nothing in the video to even bother with (I would imagine you understand this, since you are also keen enough to use the internet to search for potential ISS/Satellite crossings). So I have to form an opinion based on your description of the event, and my option is that there is nothing unusual about this sighting, and nothing we need to get all hot and bothered about.

Keep looking up!!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Thank you both for the input

I think it was most likely to be the UARS as you describe it, as my video was at 21.05.
It's like nothing I have ever seen before, so bright and it seemed really low, so at the time I didn't think it could be a satellite.

When I am at this location I see many satellites taking a regular path from south to north, I just thought they kept the same path, silly me. This one was extremely large and taking the opposite path so I was kinda freaked out. Also I like to know what I'm looking at in the sky

Cheers

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I appreciate the OP's manner of presenting his videos. Posting videos with claims of "YEA THIS IS PROOF" only serve the purpose of annoying the 'skeptics' (i really mean believers who are not too gullible). That being said, i really dont know what to make of the video either. I will be monitoring this post to see if we can come up with a conclusion

top topics

join