It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The scariest video you have ever watched in the name of science.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

This video contains no special effects, and no fancy stunts. But it will scare the crap out of you. That's because you're watching from a head-mounted camera as an engineer scales an antenna tower over 1,000 feet high.

Stairway to Heaven

Climbing Towers

---------------

You got to be kidding me. I honestly was a bit scared (lol). I mean just when you think the destination has been reached, think again. Im not afraid of heights, but this goes way beyond that.

You really need to check this video out. It's only a few minutes, and you get to learn some stuff.

-Enjoy.

edit on 15-9-2010 by Oozii because: Added Text.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
OMG!

I don’t know what kind of money those guys get paid, but its not enough.

There was an episode on TLC, NatGeo, or Discovery, where they had folks climb up a tower to weld something. I believe it might have been the show Dirty Jobs, or something very similar (extreme jobs, dangerous jobs, ??). Anyway, they started climbing first thing in the morning, and barely made it back down before sunset. If I recall correctly there was even some concern that one of the hosts was not going to be able to make it back down off the tower.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
OMG!

I don’t know what kind of money those guys get paid, but its not enough.

There was an episode on TLC, NatGeo, or Discovery, where they had folks climb up a tower to weld something. I believe it might have been the show Dirty Jobs, or something very similar (extreme jobs, dangerous jobs, ??). Anyway, they started climbing first thing in the morning, and barely made it back down before sunset. If I recall correctly there was even some concern that one of the hosts was not going to be able to make it back down off the tower.

Yeah! I remember watching that. I wouldn't call it a "Dirty Job" but more of a "Life Taking Job"

I don't know how these guys do it, but man it's incredible. And Especially when they take breaks. Use one hand, and rest the other for a few seconds. And your right, I don't think they get paid enough. But must be a good amount if they're doing it.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I watched this video on the non conspiracy part of ATS last night...

This is what I figure, once you're up about 90-feet or so, if you fall you're probably gonna die. To climb any higher than that, the fear is already gone.. you were already gonna die at 90 feet so climbing higher doesn't add to the fear.

It's still pretty cool, and yeah, they should make big bucks for doing that. I'd bet they don't even make as much as a doctor.

edit on 15-9-2010 by sticky because: I like editing my posts!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of scary video's...but that one takes the cake.

Just watching that guy casually climb to the top of this thing was unreal. I experienced some pretty intense verdigo watching that.

That guy has balls, lots of them.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
It'd really help make it easier to get down if they got to wear backpacks with parachutes in them hahah. I imagine it'd be kinda fun on the way down too. But in all seriousness, that looks like a very nice scenic, yet unbelievably scary job (to me) cool video!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Jeez, that was very intense, especially with the way the camera was placed.

I agree, having parachutes would be a good safety precaution.

This was a spooky but incredible video.

-SES

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
"Inside" the tower is cake, once he stepped outside and began truly free-climbing I could barely watch it. You've got to be a little nuts to do a job like that, I started getting a touch dizzy when he kept looking around.

Friend of mine wants a job working on the high-tension power lines because of the pay and benefits they get; so these dare-devils must be compensated well.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusty moon
It'd really help make it easier to get down if they got to wear backpacks with parachutes in them hahah. I imagine it'd be kinda fun on the way down too. But in all seriousness, that looks like a very nice scenic, yet unbelievably scary job (to me) cool video!

Oh that would be awesome. But it'd probably add another good 30-40 pounds of weight and then they might not fit through part of the climbing procedure.

But still cool idea.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
wow, that is scary, youve got to be fit for a job like that.
i bet OSHA wont be too happy about not using their safety clips the entire time and
OSHA loves to give tickets.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Those guys are hardcore MFs. I take my hat off to them. They deserve every penny they get, and then some.
Good vid. Thank you OP.

edit on 15/9/2010 by TheLoneArcher because: Even the smallest of posts I end up having to edit for spelling. Damn!!!

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
When I was training tower climbers
we had a spotless safety record for the full two years.
We always free climbed. We'd never let him wear a watch.
Man some of these towers are so tall you have to pack a lunch.
The pay was really nice, a little bit extra for every foot climbed.
We took on all types of tower, High power river crossings,
cell, microwave relays, nuclear plant distribution lines.
The most fun were the jobs on the skyscrapers in
New Orleans business district, and trade mart.
Freaking broadcast roof on top of a restaurant
that rotates. Nice view of the river though.

David Grouchy

edit on 16-9-2010 by davidgrouchy because: bluishness < > business

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
It takes some nerves of steel to do a job like that. I'm not afraid of heights or anything but the last part getting on top where the beacon light was made me a little nervous.

My hats off to these guys.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Holy! I would laugh at horror movies, but this video just scared the crap out of me

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Absolute, incontrovertible madness. I'd do it though, if I was younger. hee.
According to the tubes, rope access worker is about 46K, transmission line electrical about 100K, another high altitude guy said he was paid 10K a month. However, his crew got 12 bucks an hour. And the turnover was high.Plus he got docked like 2K for a mistake up there ! No bathroom, no lunch. hm.
Props.
love.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
OMG I'm still shaking........I hate heights, those guys are absolutely nuts. Health and safety on construction sites has gone crazy here in the UK, even at 20 ft scaffolders have to wear harnessess.......I'm a little disturbed by that vid.....logging off now

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I have nothing to add but shear astonishment. How does anyone do that? No amount of money is worth it. How could it be the thrill factor either its just too much?!? I have ridden motorcycles since I was nine. When i ride I am always on the throttle, doing wheelies and when its safe going super fast. My ex-profession has had me doing things that are scary as hell too. I like to think of myself as being brave.

But these people...I really cannot fathom how they do it.

edit on 16-9-2010 by LoneGunMan because: of clarity

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Im glad you guy's enjoy'd it or found it amazing

I still don't know how they can do this. I can only imagine what they are saying in their heads while climbing up the 1,600 ft + tower. Or how there emotion changes once they get out of that safer level of climbing area.

I felt my chest tighten up a few times watching this. It really is scary.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
MATE, DO YOU WANT TO SEE TRUE AWSOMENESS, AFTER WATCHING THIS YOUR VID IS LAME.
THIS IS BY FAR THE SCARIEST HEIGHT A HUMAN HAS EVER HAD THE BALLS TO TRAVEL... WATCH WHAT HE DOES AS HE REACHES THE EDGE OF SPACE..ONLY SEEING IS BELIEVING SO WATCH AND BE AMAZED

RELAX AND WATCH IT ALL! YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT WHAT HE DOES AT THAT HIGHT

MANY MORE SCIENTIFIC ANGLED VIDS TALKING ABOUT GRAVITY ETC CAN BE FOIUND ON YOUTUBE.
this is a shorter video which has annoying music and a bit hard to work out what is going on

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by theAymen
MATE, DO YOU WANT TO SEE TRUE AWSOMENESS, AFTER WATCHING THIS YOUR VID IS LAME.
THIS IS BY FAR THE SCARIEST HEIGHT A HUMAN HAS EVER HAD THE BALLS TO TRAVEL... WATCH WHAT HE DOES AS HE REACHES THE EDGE OF SPACE..ONLY SEEING IS BELIEVING SO WATCH AND BE AMAZED

RELAX AND WATCH IT ALL! YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT WHAT HE DOES AT THAT HIGHT

MANY MORE SCIENTIFIC ANGLED VIDS TALKING ABOUT GRAVITY ETC CAN BE FOIUND ON YOUTUBE.
this is a shorter video which has annoying music and a bit hard to work out what is going on

Sorry the lame video I posted didn't spark your interest.

The two video's you posted are in my opinion entirely different. You see the guy in your video's just had to layback and wait till he reached maximum altitude then freefall for a few thousand feet and release his parachute.
While the guys in the video I posted had to climb up to there destination. And climb back that aswell. Not to mention when they got to where they were needed, they had to carry the 30lb tool bag up with them and actually do some labor.

Eitherway thanks for posting those videos, very cool nonetheless.

edit on 16-9-2010 by Oozii because: Just Cause.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join