It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklo: Ancient African Nuclear Reactors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Oklo: Ancient African Nuclear Reactors

The remnants of nuclear reactors nearly two billion years old were found in the 1970s in Africa. These reactors are thought to have occurred naturally. No natural reactors exist today, as the relative density of fissile uranium has now decayed below that needed for a sustainable reaction. Pictured above is Fossil Reactor 15, located in Oklo, Gabon. Uranium oxide remains are visible as the yellowish rock. Oklo by-products are being used today to probe the stability of the fundamental constants over cosmological time and distance scales and to develop more effective means for disposing of human-manufactured nuclear waste.

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov... [Picture here as well!]

Lecture on this subject:
netfiles.uiuc.edu... .pdf

Wiki:
en.wikipedia.org...

Also another interesting quote I found:

A physicist I met recently shared a theory he had that there's a naturally occurring nuclear reactor in the center of the planet, which both generates our internal heat and creates the magnetic field. Switches in the direction of the magnetic field supposedly occur because of the expansion and then collapse of the material. His theory expanded to say that Mars and the moon both also had these cores, but they've run out of power, and that Jupiter still does.

I'll admit, I'm a little skeptical, but the only argument I could think of was why, then, would the fluctuations in the magnetic field be so irregular over time instead of periodic. If anyone has any ideas about his theory, I'd love to hear them!

This is the Georeactor theory: en.wikipedia.org...

The georeactor is a proposal by J. Marvin Herndon that a nuclear fission reactor may exist and operate at the Earth's core and serves as the energy source for the geomagnetic field. Herndon had earlier proposed the existence of fission reactors at the centers of large gaseous planets such as Jupiter and Saturn.

The georeactor hypothesis modifies the widely accepted dynamo theory. The georeactor hypothesis explains how convection can occur and power a dynamo, even though the solid rock of the crust insulates the core and should stop the convection. Georeactors may also explain apparent excess heat produced by the core of the Earth and certain gas giant planets.

Also for something amusing, someone connected it to this: en.wikipedia.org... saying the reactor is what powered the machine.

Manna Machine is a theory by George Sassoon and Rodney Dale that a machine device was given to the Israelites, when they went on their 40 year journey in the Sinai Desert.

Credit to the guy who found it, it was on reddit along with the other links I found there:
www.reddit.com...

I thought this whole thing was interesting, so I'm sharing, if you have not already heard it or seen it already.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I heard about the reactor in Africa a while back, but it was being linked to an advanced, ancient human civilization that fell (Atlantis-type story). I also saw it being connected to the ancient astronaut/alien theory.

I flagged this thread because I haven't seen the African nukes being linked to normal planetary forces until now. Makes for an interesting possibility.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodLuckCharm

Actually I know about this, I wrote a paper on this in my college chemistry class back in 93. At the time I wasn't into ancient civilization, I just thought it was a geological anomaly. But after getting enlightened into the possibility of ancient science and technology, anything is possible.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Great post! Good break from all the political stuff that has been dividing all of us lol. But yes, Africa has a much more advanced history than is known to most. They are one of the continents that is mentioned minimally in the education system. They invited lots of things (university's, coffee, etc). Africa helped get Europe out of the middle ages and created many forms of medicine. Also remember that Africa contains Egypt! Many mysterious things about this wonderful part of the planet.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The theory about the reactor in the center of the earth if silly. It is a well accepted theory that isotope levels in the earths core are certainly high ennough to this day to generate significant portions of the earths heat. No sci-fi stuff there.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Great post. I think there are way too many things that archaeologists are finding that can't be explained in context with everything else, and that are simply getting covered up.

I believe that Africa has a lot more to offer than what it's been given credit for, both historically and in the modern day.

top topics

join