It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male fish now exhibiting female traits due to toxic chemicals and pharma runoff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
September 12, 2010

(NaturalNews) More than 80 percent of male bass in the Potomac River on the U.S. Atlantic coast are producing eggs or showing other female traits, the nonprofit Potomac Conservancy has warned, in a call for more research into the causes of intersex fish.

In a recent U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) report, intersex fish were found in a third of all 111 sites tested across the United States, including in major waterways such as the Mississippi River and the Rio Grande. The phenomenon occurred in 16 different species, but was most common in male smallmouth and largemouth bass.

www.naturalnews.com...

Sources for this story include:

www.guardian.co.uk...;

www.washingtonexaminer.com...;

The Potomac Conservancy has called for more research into the problem.

"We've got to figure out what the heck is going on here," said the group's president, Hedrick Belin. "And we've got to figure it out sooner rather than later because it's clear the longer this mystery continues it's only going to lead to bad things yet to be discovered."

www.naturalnews.com...

This is very disturbing news, if these chemicals are getting into our water and effecting fish and wildlife who is to say it isn't our drinking water, make you wonder why the population is getting so many toxic diseases these days, cancer is on the rise.

A number of years back rivers, estuaries and streams were finding diseased fish along the East Coast of the United States and I haven't heard more about that, it seems to have dropped off the radar like so many other things that could effect our health.

Abstract

The cause of deeply penetrating ulcers of Atlantic menhaden Brevoortia tyrannus has been the subject of significant research efforts in recent years. These lesions and the associated syndrome termed ulcerative mycosis have been observed along the East Coast of the United States since at least the early 1980s. Although Aphanomyces spp. were isolated from these lesions in the mid to late 1980s, similar lesions could not be reproduced by experimental infections of Atlantic menhaden with these isolates

afsjournals.org...(2002)014%3C0001:AIIAMA%3E2.0.CO%3B2

This is one example of findings going back to the mid to late 1980's, I would imagine that it has a good strangle hold by this time. If this kind of thing continues and nothing is done we won't have to worry about population control, it is not happening in America only, seems worldwide, pollution and contamination travels everywhere on the planet.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This has been a phenomenon that has been baffling scientists for a while now. Originally thought simply to be Mother Nature’s way of protecting species on the verge of extinction were those original assessments just a rush to a conclusion or, where they to purposefully obscure the truth about the effects of the chemical runoff into the food supply?

Great find and very interesting story starred and flagged.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Reminds me on the fish in the Simpsons intro!

No really that is a very bad sign! We all should have an eye on that and should do what we are able to support the investigations! I don´t hope it is as bad in europe

Now you even cannot eat fish anymore... What else is now left for my daily energy and nutrition consumption?

Peace

Jim

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Personally I am all for this as I have often thought i wish my fish had larger breasts!! 0.o

(Edited) to make enough letters on the page for the second line.

edit on 15-9-2010 by g146541 because: (no reason given)

(Edited again)
To fill in the new text edited why feature.

edit on 15-9-2010 by g146541 because: text management

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
This has been a phenomenon that has been baffling scientists for a while now. Originally thought simply to be Mother Nature’s way of protecting species on the verge of extinction were those original assessments just a rush to a conclusion or, where they to purposefully obscure the truth about the effects of the chemical runoff into the food supply?

I don't think it take science to figure this out when we all know what kind of waste is going into our water systems, there will be a day and sooner then we may think that eating fish and seafood will be a thing of the past, makes me wonder about the damage in the Gulf that we won't know the results of for years to come.

Thank you for posting my friend.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JimIrie

No really that is a very bad sign! We all should have an eye on that and should do what we are able to support the investigations! I don´t hope it is as bad in europe

Absolutey we should keep an eye out and suppot these investigations anyway we can. Sadly this type of information seems to fade into the sunset.

This is also a problem not only in Europe but world wide Jimline.

Thank you for posting.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It is in our drinking water, these chemicals pass right through the water filtration systems. Not to mention, these fish swim out in the oceans, and end up right on our dinner plates (chemicals and all).

I have yet to understand why so few seem to care about this. I guess they think it won't affect them... Ignorance will be the death of us I swear.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

I have yet to understand why so few seem to care about this. I guess they think it won't affect them... Ignorance will be the death of us I swear.

You are absolutely right, I don't understand it either, apathy is alive and well not only in the U.S. but worldwide, you would think we would not only care about ourselves, what about our children, in fact why have them in the first place if they are going to be doomed. People depend on our corrupt politicians to take care of everything for us, they must be asleep also, the last time I looked they have families too. This is very puzzling isn't it.

Thank you for posting.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Interesting! I remember a few years ago, reading a copy of New Scientist magazine, the front cover story was something like "No future for the male species?"

Inside I read the whole story that explained how female fish were having babies without males. I'm pretty sure they went on to say that this was being displayed in a few other species and predicted this could happen to humans! There was a lab in Australia experimenting with creating embryos with 2 female eggs, and it would be possible.

I have since tried to find the story on the internet but iwith much difficulty, unless I'm just not using the correct search terms, or it was all a dream!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Delicious estrogenic chemicals!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

More than 80 percent of male bass in the Potomac River on the U.S. Atlantic coast are producing eggs or showing other female traits, the nonprofit Potomac Conservancy has warned, in a call for more research into the causes of intersex fish.

If it's doing that to the fish imagine what it's doing to us ...

It would also explain emasculated politicians in DC ... and my superfluous nipple.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

More than 80 percent of male bass in the Potomac River on the U.S. Atlantic coast are producing eggs or showing other female traits, the nonprofit Potomac Conservancy has warned, in a call for more research into the causes of intersex fish.

It would also explain emasculated politicians in DC ... and my superfluous nipple.

I am not sorry for those emasculated politicians but am concerned for SD, what does your wife have to say about this?

Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by viber8

Interesting! I remember a few years ago, reading a copy of New Scientist magazine, the front cover story was something like "No future for the male species?"

I remember stories like this, I just did a search and couldn't find it, also did a search in New Scientist and nothing. Other articles I have read mentioned that in the future we won't need males to have children, I don't know about that, doesn't sound like much fun to me. Maybe the man haters would like it but not me.

I have also read that the sperm count in men is way down, by the population explosion on our planet that is hard to believe.

Thank you for posting and bringing up some good points.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
This is a ginormous issue. Forget about climate change for a second, there are actually more pressing environmental/ecological apocalyptic scenarios unfolding in near real-time !! Yes, this is certainly affecting more than just the fish.

Check out this documentary if you dare:

Google Video Link

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
no wonder. i was wondering why gay and lesbians are popping up all over the world. it wasn't like this 10 years ago, look at it now. i think this is part of the population control agenda. turn people gay. drink the water, its good for you.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by viber8

Sperm Count Decline Confirmed
Monday November 24 1997 4:58 PM EST

Expert: Sperm Counts Falling Around the World

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Modern living is hitting men right where it hurts the most, with sperm counts falling more quickly than anyone thought, U.S. researchers said Monday.

Experts who set out to dispel fears of falling sperm counts found they were even lower than had been reported. "I think this study will change the debate about sperm decline from 'if' to 'why'," said Shanna Swan, chief of the reproductive epidemiology section at the California Department of Health Services, who led the study.

The debate has been bubbling since 1992, when Niels Skakkebaek, Elisabeth Carlsen and colleagues at Copenhagen University reported sperm counts were falling around the world, based on an analysis of 61 different studies. Their announcement caused a flurry of debate, and studies published since have shown conflicting results. British research found that men born in the 1970s had 25 percent fewer sperm than those born in the 1950s, while Harry Fisch of New York's Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center found men there had high sperm counts, with no evidence of a decline.

www.cqs.com...

It says in the above article that this debate as been bubbling since 1992, thinking that the reason for this and why it is still continuing is that in the nineteen sixties they started adding chemicals to everything, I remember food coloring for one, aside from what they are adding to our food today, they are polluting our water supply and modifying food which is killing the nutrients.

People using Microwave ovens is also killing the active enzyme's and nutrients in our food, we are slowly but surely killing ourselves. I am sure you are aware of the warnings not to heat baby forumla in microwave's.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Forget about climate change for a second, there are actually more pressing environmental/ecological apocalyptic scenarios unfolding in near real-time !! Yes, this is certainly affecting more than just the fish.

Thank you for posting the video unityemissions, I will watch it later and comment on it, seems I have seen it before but will watch it again tomorrow.

Yes you are so right, it is affecting every species on the planet including us.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
no wonder. i was wondering why gay and lesbians are popping up all over the world. it wasn't like this 10 years ago, look at it now. i think this is part of the population control agenda. turn people gay. drink the water, its good for you.

Gay's have been with us forever, you don't turn Gay, you're born that way, aside from the fact that Gay's and Lesbians are capable of reproducing if they so choose.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Gay's have been with us forever, you don't turn Gay, you're born that way, aside from the fact that Gay's and Lesbians are capable of reproducing if they so choose.

i know what you mean. i guess what i am saying is the percentage of gays in a population has increased. they can if they want but rarely, thus, population control.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

i know what you mean. i guess what i am saying is the percentage of gays in a population has increased. they can if they want but rarely, thus, population control.

That is interesting, never thought of that way, but I think what you are seeing is more Gays are coming out in recent years not that there are more of them.

<<   2 >>

join