It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Lawyer Finds Fresh Wounds on Saddam's Body

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The Jordanian lawyer retained by Saddam's family, said his client had fresh wounds on his body.

This as we find out that legal custody of Saddam will transfer to the new govenment. However, physical custody will remain with the US.

The lawyer representing Saddam Hussein claims the former Iraqi dictator has been mistreated in US custody.

Jordanian lawyer Muhammed al Rushadan, who has been retained by Saddam's family, said his client had wounds on his body.

"There are fresh wounds on his body," he said, citing a Red Cross document he claims to have.

Sky News

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 22-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Reminds me of the guy with 34 stab wounds in his back. Worse case of suicide I ever saw.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yeah, and this comes from the same lawyer making the rounds in the US campaigning stating that Saddams Human rights have been trampled on. Just wait you give it 2 weeks the democrats will jump on this and turn it against Bush.

Saddaam must be freed because his human rights have been trampled. He might even end up in a Condo in Hollywood.

Besides that if it was up to me the lawyer would find Saddam hanging from a noose in the jail cell. But thats just me. So what he has fresh wounds think about what he did.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This basically shows that we are no better than him. I hate how the right-wing news basically tries to downplay the abuse at abu grave by saying well saddam was worse. Two wrongs don't make a right. Aren't we over there to show them that there is a better way of life or just one that was better than saddam?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I agree, DaTruth. This, if accurate, is sickening.

And if it was "up to you", BlackJackal, then the US would be in an even sorrier state than it is now. The American Human Rights record is rapidly losing it's lustre, don't you think? Or don't you care about human rights when they're applied to foreigners? There is more than enough evidence to prosecute Saddam for crimes against humanity and have him rot in a jail cell for the rest of his life - doesn't that sound better than creating yet another martyr?

So what he has fresh wounds think about what he did.

And think about what your boys have done. I doubt you'd be a forgiving if it was all-American heroes being beaten and tortured in the custody of foreign nationals, would you? It's been said again and again, you don't beat an enemy by being like them. You beat an enemy by being better than them. It's time that the thugs and barbarians in the US Army were reigned in, these disgusting acts properly investigated, and the perpetrators punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Attacking a man in custody isn't war, it's criminal.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
It's very simple. I have the answer for both people. His lawyer wants him out, everyone else wants him dead. Ok, set him free in the middle of a crowded street full of people who no doubt have weapons. So there, he gets set free, with the guarantee that he'll be dead within the hour....

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:02 AM
link   
It might depend what kind of crowd you let him loose in. There are many Saddam supporters still. I know if he is let loose in a crowd at the Bush family house, he would probably be given a martini...

J/K

[edit on 23-6-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Maybe a street full of teenagers. As one of them i know i'd like to let some anger and rage out on him...and some others... (cough "bush" cough)

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Alright a handful of soldiers act strip down some Iraqi prisoners and now all of the American Military is guilty of inhuman treatment

It's time that the thugs and barbarians in the US Army were reigned in, these disgusting acts properly investigated, and the perpetrators punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Ok now this is what I don't understand. You will let Saddam "rot in a jail cell for the rest of his life" but you want these US Army "thugs" punished to the fullest extent of the law(which last time I checked was the death penalty).

I may be wrong but you seem to dislike the United States. Anyone who thinks that the Abu grab prison abuse compares to the atrocities commited by Saddam is definetly looking at things in a skewed way. Saddam really tortured not just embarassed. Under his regime athletes were beaten and had limbs amputated for not performing well.

Take off your anti-american glasses and really look at the situation.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Ah yes, the death penalty. I'd forgotten about that particular primitive little practice.
In that case, I think it's long past time that these criminals be punished to the penultimate extent of the law - imprisonment for the maximum period allowed under the law.

Alright a handful of soldiers act strip down some Iraqi prisoners and now all of the American Military is guilty of inhuman treatment

No, if you read my post you'll see I refer to "the thugs and barbarians". I didn't suggest that the entire US Army be tarred with the same brush.

And please, click the "find posts" button below this message, BlackJackal, and have a look through some of my previous comments. You'll see that I am not even remotely anti-American. In fact, I have an enormous affection for your country. I would condemn these actions regardless of who was guilty.

We all know the litany of atrocities of which Saddam is accused - and, in many cases, clearly guilty. That does not justify these cruel, inhumane attacks on him and the Iraqis in Abu Grab. I have not said that Saddam should not be punished - in fact, I was in favour of regime change in Iraq long before Dubya sneaked into office and decided to continue his family's vendetta. What I cannot support is this barbaric behaviour - and I cannot believe that any person who considers himself civilised and reasonable can approve of these acts even for a moment.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Before we get all misty-eyed and moist-palmed worrying about poor Saddam, remember that these injuries are only allegations. If there are injuries, he probably inflicted them himself so that he can work on the sympathy vote.

BlackJackal, if we happen to get lucky enough to capture the beheaders, you will hear the same caterwauling from the apologists for 'humane' treatment.
:shk:

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Whoa Whoa whoa...he didnt find anything...the lawyer has even had any physical contact with Saddam since January...this lawyers basis is from Red Cross reports that he has read....mainly stating him in "good condition"...then having the "slightly wounded" box checked off a few collumns down...its BS...

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I say good. I don't give two $*its if Saddam has "small wounds" on his body. Screw that. He's a bloody tyrannical dictator for Christ's sake, and people are crying over a couple of abraisions (if they're there, anyway). That is frigging ridiculous! If the Dems pick up on this and blame it on Bush and try to get sympathy for Saddam, I'm going to be infuriated, and that'll probably be the straw that breaks the camels back (and sends me wholly onto the conservative side).

I don't think anyone should feel any shred of sympathy for this man. He is a beast, he's inhuman, he shouldn't be given the dignaty of sympathy. And I feel bad for anyone who would offer it to him. I don't even think he should get the death penalty, because that's too forgiving. Let him rot in the worst jail for the rest of his life, maybe periodicly subjecting him to the same torture he put women and children to under his regime. That would make me happy.

Oh poor Saddam... He has some bruises... Screw that.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Well, I guess when Sadam was in power it was Sadam justice, now we have to give him the rights that he denied his own country men and women for so long.

Leave it to US human rights and foreign lawyers that knows well the weakness of American laws and yes he will be free in some south American country with the money that his family managed to take away from Iraq when the fleet the country.

To me, US have hold him for to long he should had been hang in the streets of Baghdad by the people of that country, but occurs who can forget that the political gain that this country got by this administration when he got capture is to sweet to let go.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
I don't think anyone should feel any shred of sympathy for this man. He is a beast, he's inhuman

You're right, and it's not at all ironic that you punish the beast by becoming the beast.

As has been observed, we don't know if these reports are true - but the posts on this thread suggest that if it's not true now, it will be soon. This, after all, is the only reason Saddam is still in custody and not being tried for crimes against humanity - poor old Dubya wants his pound of flesh.

Saddam should never be freed, and should pay for his crimes in a manner judged acceptable by civilised society. But he should not be target practice for over-testosteroned squaddies, and he should not be a punchbag for moronic rightwingers who feel they have to prove their patriotic zeal by beating up foreigners. The minute you treat him the way he treated others, you lose the moral authority to hold him, and the minute you regurgitate the same tired "enemy of the States" Bush-inspired propoganda, you lose the right to call yourselves civilised.

I guess some people, on both sides, can only understand violence. I'd be more outraged if I wasn't so utterly depressed.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by StrangeLands
You're right, and it's not at all ironic that you punish the beast by becoming the beast.

Oh give me a break. Me wanting him to rot in jail is not the same as him murdering and torturing thousands of his people, sorry. It's not the same, and it will never be the same.

Like I said, I don't think he should get the ease of execution. He should rot in the worst jail imaginable.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This is merely propaganda. Please read the article completely. Here's an excerpt from MSNBC:

URL: www.msnbc.msn.com...

Excerpt:
The document in question, produced by Rushadan on Sunday shortly before the lawyer left for New York to lobby the U.S. media, actually turns out to be what the ICRC calls a "capture card," a form that detainees fill out and which authorities use to report their detention to the Red Cross, which makes inspection visits and carries letters for prisoners. Apparently signed by Saddam and dated January 21, 2004,�more than five weeks after U.S. forces pulled him from a spider hole near his hometown of Tikrit�the card carries two check marks in the four boxes listed under the heading �Internee�s/detainee�s health.� One of the selected boxes lists the prisoner as being in �good health;� the other notes that he is �slightly wounded.�

So, these fresh wounds are from a standard card that is now five months old. I think the title of this thread should be "Sensationalist Lawyer Alleges Fresh Wounds on Saddam's Body". This shouldn't even be in ATSNN.

[EDIT]: The headline on sky.com reads 'WOUNDS' ON SADDAM'S BODY. Are we stooping to the level of Micheal Rivero now with misquoting headlines?

[edit on 6/23/2004 by titian]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This guy is something else. He has no idea if they are "fresh wounds." What a crock. Take a look at the evidence here:

"Rashdan showed one page of the ICRC report, on which various boxes can be checked to indicate the physical condition of a detainee.

"Good health" and "slightly wounded" are marked to indicate Saddam's condition."

For all we know he could have a limp from bumping his knee, he is an old man. This guy admits:

""He's being abused, just like the prisoners of Abu Ghraib were abused."

However, the attorney had no proof of any abuse.

Rashdan has never spoken to or seen Saddam, despite making several requests to do so, he said."

This is a big propaganda peace to gain support for a man who committed 1st degree murder 300,000 times. What is his lawyer doing, trying to lobby for a position as the new Iraq information minister?

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 23-6-2004 by J0HNSmith]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Strangelands,

I also beleive that the ones responsible for the Abu Grab abuse should be punished. However I infered from your post that you wished to have these people sentenced to death while Saddam sat in a jail cell. If this is not the case then I apologize.

As for Saddam you and I look at the situation totally different. Apparantly you do not beleive in the death penalty, I do. I say an eye for an eye, Saddam killed more than enough people to justify his death.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
As you surmised, BlackJackal, I would never condone the death penalty under any circumstances - but this is not the time or place for that debate!

I'm pleased these stories have turned out to be false, but I can't help but wonder about Saddam's ultimate fate - and whether we in the West will show ourselves to be enlightened, civilised people...

...or no better than those we've deposed and imprisoned in the name of "freedom".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join