It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy earns 1 cent a goat in slaughter trade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Boy earns 1 cent a goat in slaughter trade

www.cnn.com

Eight-year-old Boku knows there is a trick to moving a goat from the market to the slaughterhouse. He knows you must grab behind both ears and pull. After two years on the job he has learned the hard way.

Mohammed Hassan, his five-year-old brother, hasn't quite got the knack of it yet. Still, they are thankful they have a job.

"Every day I wake up and go to the market to do my work," says Boku. "When I am finished I just come back home. I have to work, or we don't get food."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Kentucky man kills 5 family members and self over breakfast eggs.
Police arrest man, then give him bike
The Age of Enlightment has started !!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This true story is amazing and sad
at 8 yrs old i was playing with Gi-joe and ninja turtles

This story breaks my heart in a sense that im prood to be a human...
this little boy .. is a miracle to have made a hell of a routine out of his life .. im sure he his thanksfull and dont complaint a bit about it
he have faith that push him to do whatever he can to save his little brother and other familly members maybe to old to work..

from my part i would kidnap all the goats and make friend with them.. this trip is a long way until he reach the slaughter house , im sure he BFF'ed some of the goats ..
i dont know i wouldnt be able to do that thinking that this goat have made his last trip outside

he didnt had any choices or he wouldnt get paid ...
he accepted it
that show a incredibly strong spirited young boy
in a sad story of poverty working is a** to bring home food
but im sure he lives proud and happy anyway with no Ipod

This story make us learn:
NO MORE COMPLAINTS ACCEPTED

Compare yourselfs first to somebody outthere having very less than you...
only this though will heal people from greed

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9/15/2010 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Cnn Story with sad details:

The brothers work in the chaotic and trash-strewn market of Kiamaiko, Nairobi. Adult traders finger through wads of cash and haggle over goat prices, around each trader the kids gather for work. But this is no place for a child.

Boku and Mohammed will earn less than one U.S. cent for each goat that they deliver up the hill to the Kiamaiko slaughterhouses. The market provides meat to restaurants across Nairobi, and it is awash with child labor.

The slaughterhouse owners, who wouldn't give their names for fear of arrest, told us that hundreds of children work inside their buildings cleaning entrails, collecting blood and mopping the floors.

As they pick their way through the slum between the market and the slaughterhouses, Boku and Mohammed are frequently robbed by older boys and harassed by kids going to school.

"I try to protect brother. He is so small and young," says Boku

The brothers also face arrest.

Child labor is illegal in Kenya, but police rarely target business owners for hiring children in the slums. Community activists say the police get a cut of the thriving trade.

A senior police officer, who wouldn't give his name, denied this but said that arresting the market leadership is "complicated."

The police say they are doing their best to solve the problem, but that the numbers of kids working and the 'freelance' nature of their job makes its difficult for suitable law enforcement.

So in Kiamaiko they arrest the children. Each month the police will round up between 20 and 50 kids. Children who came from outlying areas are trucked out of the city, but they will almost always end up back at work, say the police.

The little money they can earn is a big draw. Most of the children work in Kiamaiko so their families to survive.

Boku and Mohammed's father died five years ago, and after their mother's shop burnt down, she became ill. So at six, Boku became the breadwinner, and soon his younger brother followed.

Their story is tragic, but by no means unique.

This is why again ..Earth need us to Enlight ASAP
look at how its upside down
Rich are getting richer and the poor ..they gets to die of young age.. because of no food or they are ill
if everyone though about themself to be egual to anybody else in the world
the boy situation would not be like that ..

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
kids just trying to make some money. give them a brake. It looks like that penny brings food to the table so whats the big deal?

Child labor you say. i see it as a kid helping his family out, great story

edit on 15-9-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I took a cruise to Mexico once. It was my first time visiting the place. When I got there, I was greeted by a bunch of kids that couldn't be older than 6 years old trying to sell Chiclets (gum candy) for 5 dollars. In the USA they only cost like 50 cents. I thought it was sad.

Their parents were probably at home, being lazy, making more kids, so they can use them to slave for the family.

edit on 15-9-2010 by illumin8ed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by illumin8ed
I took a cruise to Mexico once. It was my first time visiting the place. When I got there, I was greeted by a bunch of kids that couldn't be older than 6 years old trying to sell Chiclets (gum candy) for 5 dollars. In the USA they only cost like 50 cents. I thought it was sad.

His parents were probably at home, being lazy, making more kids, so they can use them to slave for the family.

I remember 15 yrs ago where my parent took me to Venezuela
this little kid with a dirty red ripped off shirt
he had a little monkey on his shoulders making cash for pictures
another proof that poor childrens of young age can be very ressourceful to help their famillies
what makes me smile .. they always come with a proud positive attitude and talk to strangers
they dont need any materialistic stuff or any electricity to pay
they work only for food they dont care about anything else

imagine taking a children from a situation like that bring the boy in NYC in front of the empire state building
he will have a cardiac arrest lol
but he wouldnt want to stay..his priorities would be at home

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
kids just trying to make some money. give them a brake. It looks like that penny brings food to the table so whats the big deal?

Child labor you say. i see it as a kid helping his family out, great story

Take any rich country ... NO KIDS WORK AT THIS AGE...
like i said .. i was playing with GI-Joe when i was 8 yrs old

i was working at 15 to buy a old rusty car ..my salary was 7$ an hours
what can you possibly buy with 1 cent a goat

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

You forget currency exchange rate I believe is 1 Kenya dollar equals .01 American dollars. So the kid brings in 10 goats a day he can feed his family. This is just the MSM spinning it and making you feel sorry for the kind and make you hate yourself because you’re an American with advantages.

This is what some counters have to do to eat. The kids is working and helping his family then going to school. Big deal.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
reply to post by Ben81

You forget currency exchange rate I believe is 1 Kenya dollar equals .01 American dollars. So the kid brings in 10 goats a day he can feed his family. This is just the MSM spinning it and making you feel sorry for the kind and make you hate yourself because you’re an American with advantages.

This is what some counters have to do to eat. The kids is working and helping his family then going to school. Big deal.

Nice try

and yes i know the currency xchange are very low in certain country
in some country 1000 dollars something = 1 dollars US
i just feel respectfull to the boy spirit and yes i feel sorry but proud of him in the same time
he is 8 yrs old and he have to bring the food to his familly and especialy is little brother
im sure he do many kilometer a day just carrying goats to a slaughter house
for 10 goats he can probably buy enought bread and milk/water maybe not much .. but enought
even if 1 goast could egual 100euro .. letting a 8yrs old kid working all day for his familly ...
thats desperated ... which is the case over there
they are mostly in the same inhuman situation
while us here .. some restaurant throw food in the dump if they didnt sell it
they especially dump it in a manner that nobody will ever eat it .. even in the dump
so please ..
for once the MSM are showing us real news .. not propaganda news ..
dont debunk this news plz if you are respectfull

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I wish the boys had a yard and their own goats and farm. They would still slaughter the goats once in a while, but it would be different.
Totally unnecessary lifestyle run by controllers.
Thanks for the info.
love.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CestLaVie
I wish the boys had a yard and their own goats and farm. They would still slaughter the goats once in a while, but it would be different.
Thanks for the info.
love.

You just resumed everything this thread is all about

why is it so much hard today to CARE a little bit
no ones care anymore .. its me, myself and me again

i hate Greed

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I understand your view.
Greed in all forms is so pathetic.
Will people ever learn it is not the way?
Much love and blessings.
PS: If I get rich when a giant meteorite lands on my car and I sell it,
I hope to help some victims of greed.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CestLaVie
reply to post by Ben81

I understand your view.
Greed in all forms is so pathetic.
Will people ever learn it is not the way?
Much love and blessings.
PS: If I get rich when a giant meteorite lands on my car and I sell it,
I hope to help some victims of greed.

Its nice to meet with people who care
hi buddy

people who dont think they are superior or inferior to others
people that spread kindness and love

2012 is coming for that reason
the entire population of earth need to open their soul for the enlightment...especially their ideas
somebody quoted .. spirituality will save mankind .. well i beleive that indeed good will prevail at the end
but like i said it has to worsen to get better ..sadly

2012 will remove greed on earth .. damn i cant wait

no greed = HEAVEN

top topics

join