It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam And Muslims in America - The Growing Issue of Perceived Extremism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
A Video that everyone needs to watch!

On the 9th anniversary of 9/11, the fault lines between the US and the Muslim world seem to have expanded.

The election of Barack Obama, the US president, raised hopes that he would improve US relations with the Islamic world on the basis of mutual interest and mutual respect.

But the audacity of hope has recently been eclipsed by the reality of war and the politics of fear, polarising the US and confusing the rest of the world.

The tragic 1993 and 2001 attacks in New York seemed to reduce thinking about the Middle East to a simplistic clash between the US and Islam.

On the 9th anniversary of 9/11, the fault lines between Washington and the Muslim world seem to have expanded into America's heartland.

Interviewees
Ibrahim Hooper, Council of American-Islamic Relations
Prof Akbar Ahmed, American University, Washington DC, and the author of Journey Into America
Prof Karim H Karim, the author of Islamic Peril
Prof Melani Mcalister, George Washington University
Betty Buchhoz, Carter House Museum
Bob Garms, Elkader Mayor

And partisan discourse and media coverage have fanned the flames of extremist narratives in both the Muslim world and the US that end up reinforcing each other.

As America's internal cultural wars begin to affect its foreign policy, what are the options for President Obama?

Which is the real US: The one that fights for Muslims in Iraq and Afghanistan, or the one that considers US Muslims as the enemy within?

And have Osama bin Laden's hopes of driving a wedge between the US and the Muslim world become a reality? Has his "trauma doctrine" worked and could it eventually define the decades to come?

english.aljazeera.net...

The youtube link is good and the above link is of higher video quality.

This is an excellent video in my opinion that we should all watch and we should also relate it to other threads like "the islamification of America" in this same section.

I have watched a large bit of it and it's a great video and would love to have a scholarly discussion about it, if you could all watch it and comment I would very much apreciate it.

Thanks
MA

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think it's very interesting, as well as sad and concerning that despite not one major or even minor terrorist incident, the Country is as if not more riled up against Islam in general as it was in October of 2001. Maybe even more so than then which is very troubling considering the only thing that has occured is a whole lot of media manipulation that has led to that end.

Great thing to point this all out to people.

Big star and flag.

join