It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Officer reports illegal police activities, is declared mentally disturbed by NYPD as a result.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
schoolcraftjustice.com...

This lawsuit details PO Schoolcraft’s harrowing experience at the hands of NYPD chiefs and commanders, who plotted a coordinated and concentrated scheme to silence, intimidate, threaten, and retaliate against him for his documentation and disclosure of corruption within the NYPD. Specifically, the NYPD established an illegal quota policy for the issuance of summonses and arrests and instructed police officers to lie on police reports in order to distort COMPSTAT statistics.Like many police officers, PO Schoolcraft joined the NYPD to help people and serve communities plagued by real crime; instead he was faced with enormous pressure to harass law abiding people in order to fudge statistics.

Morally opposed to these policies, PO Schoolcraft refused to follow these unlawful orders and was met with retaliation from the highest levels of the NYPD. This ultimately culminated in an attempt to forcibly silence and discredit him; on October 31, 2009, several high ranking NYPD officials illegally entered PO Schoolcraft’s home, forcibly removed him in handcuffs, seized his personal effects, including evidence he had gathered documenting NYPD corruption, and had him admitted to Jamaica Hospital Center against his will, under the false pretense that he was “emotionally disturbed.”

This is outrageous and makes me wonder about when I see police corruption and everyone tells me "it's just a few bad apples."

It sounds more to me like there's only a few "good apples" if you can't, as a police officer, report police corruption without harsh retaliation like being placed in a mental health facility against your will on the grounds that the police have determined you to be "mentally disturbed."

edit on 15-9-2010 by sremmos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sremmos

Truly disgusting if it actually happened.

Why didn't he go straight to I.A. department though?

That would have been the first place i would have gone.

I also would have duplicated every last piece of evidence i had collected and spread it around in several places.

Another thing, MP3 recorders are dirt cheap, and easy to conceal. Why didn't he record these high ranking officers ordering him to commit crime, and again when they were having a pop at him for not fiddling the books?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
He probably could have done several things differently which would have been more effective and harder to fight against but I'm glad he made the attempt to face this disgrace of police work in the largest (population wise) city in the nation.

When one of the biggest police forces in the country is this corrupt it makes you wonder.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
As a former Police Officer, from the late 80's to mid 90's, I have witnessed much corruption myself. In fact, I would venture to guesstimate that, the Officers I knew, half were corrupt and none were trustworthy, especially with my life. Ultimately, this corruption is what led me to stop any and all activities as a Police Officer. I have witnessed numerous "severe" infractions (use your imagination) and many, many suspension worthy infractions. I also was "ordered" to lie on a police report once. This alone was extremely upsetting to me. But what was I to do, disobey my superior and wait out my inevitable termination? To make matters worse, I didn't even need to lie, it was an open and shut case, however, my superior didn't see it that way. He wanted there to be zero room for questioning (as a result of a search and seizure).

Officers sitting in a bar, on duty, in uniform, weapon in holster, drinking beer (good ole' boy network going on in this little town). In my seven or eight years of law enforcement, I was with four different departments, not happy with either one. I was tired of looking for that "One" good department, and I gave up my search. All I wanted to do was "serve and protect", but that is not what most have in mind. It is strictly and purely about "how much power can I acquire"? It is about, "I have a gun and you don't", "I can do what ever the hell I want, just try to stop me". To this day, years later, I have not met but two Police Officers that I know and trust, with my life. Sad and unfortunate! The ones we depend on to keep our families safe, or at least catch the bad guys after they violate us, are in it for themselves, nothing more, nothing less... Not all, but MOST! So, not having heard the entire story from this Officer with the NYPD, and going off what I know about this case, I feel for the guy. He has a steep uphill battle. Good luck Dude!

I should mention, the public doesn't help much either. We are always trying to catch a crooked cop. Some of this animosity the Officers have is a direct result of having a "thankless" job and the notion that nobody cares about Police Officers and ALL Firefighters are heroes. I remember a time right after the Rodney King incident and subsequent riots (excuse to loot), when everybody, everywhere was on their porch with a video camera, just hoping and praying for that money shot of me screwing up royally. It's funny, I say this on the cusp of the Dallas PD preparing community leaders for the public release of a video of what seems to be Police Officers beating another criminal, and even being heard on tape, "Planning" their attack!

Perhaps, if we cut the cops a break now and again and show a bit more appreciation towards what they do, things might, MIGHT, ease up a little.. Nobody ever asks a Police Officer sincerely, "how are you doing"? We see them and wonder, man, is he going to pull me over? Cops are never heroes for doing their jobs, but Fireman are! why? Forgive me, I'm just playing the devils advocate here.

Peace.

top topics

join