It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methionylthreonyl...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Methionylthreonylthreonylglutaminy-
larginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenyl-
alanylalanylglutaminylleuc

Titin - the longest protein we know of yet has the largest name we know of yet. Over 189,800 letters long and a ridiculous thing to try and pronounce (I've yet to see someone try and I've heard guys state Pi to ridiculous ranges).

What exactly does it do and how might it have been of use to us in the past?

Just seems like a big un' to me - but my biology is short compared to others.

Here's a YouTube of an artificial voice pronouncing it, sounds almost alien eh?

Think they're trying to say anything to us?

Any and all thoughts are welcome!

-m0r

edit on 15-9-2010 by SkepticOverlord because: fixed the overly long single word in the thread title

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
can you post the whole word in a post so you can at least TRY to look it up and find out some info? lol thts crazy, when you watch it the only thing that comes to mind is DNA dunno why.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
It sounds to me like there is some kind of hidden message with the way with whomever it is is pronouncing it. I heard the letter 3 mentioned many times and you can make out other words as well. I also find it funny that the person pronouncing it is pronouncing it at a very very fast speed, granted it is a long word. I know that when I or someone else tries to pronounce something that is hard for other people we take our time. In conclusion, I think there is something to it. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This......sounds like a non human protien because what human can pronounce this?
any clue what its for or where its from. You gotta probably speak this telepathically to make sense. Deep S&F for exercising the brain matter.

edit on 9/15/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

It's obviously a piss-take.

Whoever wrote this ridiculous 'name' for a protein was either stoned outta his/her chops and thought it would be a hoot when they emailed it in!

Look at the still from your inserted video...even that small section has several 'La la's' in it!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

en.wikipedia.org...

Titin, also known as connectin, is a protein that in humans is encoded by the TTN gene.[1][2] Titin is a giant protein that functions as a molecular spring which is responsible for the passive elasticity of muscle. It is composed of 244 individually folded protein domains connected by unstructured peptide sequences.[3] These domains unfold when the protein is stretched and refold when the tension is removed.[4]

Titin is the largest known single polypeptide.[5] Furthermore the gene for titin contains the largest number of introns (363) discovered in any single gene.[6]

Titin is important in the contraction of striated muscle tissues. It connects the Z line to the M line in the sarcomere. The protein contributes to force transmission at the Z line and resting tension in the I band region.[7] It limits the range of motion of the sarcomere in tension, thus contributing to the passive stiffness of muscle. Variations in the sequence of titin between different types of muscle (e.g., cardiac or skeletal) has been correlated with differences in the mechanical properties of these muscles.[1][8]

It appears to be a huge protein with an important function in muscle contraction. The name is a result of the many different layered proteins and stereo chemistry involved in its structure. It is "folded" and it unfolds and refolds according to the actions of the muscle. The reason DNA comes to mind is that DNA is also folded and layered and extremely long. This Titin compound is actually closer to RNA than DNA.

top topics

join