It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Cancer, Camp Lejeune, And A Government Coverup About To Be Exposed!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Twilite,
Thank goodness for you and yours. That was smart of you, I am curious was this your own precaution, or one supplied to you?

Its really a shame, that this would be allowed to happen. I would have given them the benefit of the doubt if they had corrected things after the study was completely, but knowingly looking the other way, even going so far as to bury the evidence and deny the facts...well that makes them whoever they were...complicit.

edit on 15-9-2010 by burntheships because: punctuate

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I will have to ask him some specific questions because he was in the Marines from 1967 to 1970.

I know he was stationed in Okinawa for part of his tour.

Knowing him though he probably got word and steered clear.

He is just that kind of man, like myself, after him, who gets words of information like that.

And I have to wonder if the Marines got the C.I.D., Criminal Investigation Division involved, or not.

There are so many levels of this that they might have been involved in if they were made aware.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Speedforhire
I was there! 1982 - 1986.........I have received letters from the DOD. I need a good lawyer now. Wait! There are no good lawyers. Anyone know of a class-action taking place?

Well, keep your eyes out it will most likely happen. I would bet on that, there is a preponderance of evidence to support the cause. The hearings start Thursday, tomorrow! In the mean time, you perhaps could get one to take it on the contingency?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I am not sure about the Marine CID...here is an article from today with some specifics.

During a hearing on Thursday, the House Science and Technology Committee will question scientists, military leaders and marine veterans about the water contamination. Investigators want to know whether there should be a presumption that exposure to the poisoned water caused a variety of illnesses.

Congressman Brad Miller along with Senators Kay Hagan and Richard Burr are pushing for legislation that requires the Navy and Marine Corps to help complete studies to determine a link.

As many as one million people were exposed to the contaminated water from the mid-1950s until the wells were closed in 1984 and 1985. Nearly 160,000 people have registered with the Marine Corps to get information about the contamination. Many people believe their cancers and other illnesses are related to the toxic water.
News14

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

That is quite alright and I appreciate you digging into the story deeper.

There are certain circles you have to travel to hear anything in regards to the C.I.D.

Each armed service has a branch that does all sorts of investigations.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Oh, I see that is the insiders then. What is really pathetic about this whole thing is a study was done! Thirteen years ago, and scientists found the link, only someone decided to conveniently set aside that finding, and leave it out of the study. Now, that study has been set aside, and millions will be spent on another one, probably to include the initial finding. Hows that for deception?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I'm not suprised regarding this terrible development; further dis-heartened, perhaps, but not suprised.

Cancer is not the only horrific disease our servicemen and women may have to face, though.

This is a post I made back in 2009 regarding the military's acknowledgement of a confirmed relationship between military service and the incidence of ALS.

posted on 4-11-2009 @ 03:01 PM single this post "quote"REPLY TO:

Veterans at Higher Risk for Lou Gerhig's Disease

A little over three years ago, my step-father died, the result of complications arising from Amnyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as “Lou Gerhig’s disease".

ALS is a relatively rare, hideous, and insidious disease that causes the body to virtually “wither away” while leaving its victim’s mind clear and conscious of a slow, painful death.

The loss of my step-father to this ailment was tragic enough in itself; however, what made his death ever more unreal to his family is that a number of years prior to his passing, my brother’s father-in-law also contracted and succumbed to ALS.

These two men were in no way related to each other, save for their relation by marriage ties, and did not even know each other while they were alive. The factor they had in common was that, at some point in their lives, they both served in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Which brings us to the following notice issued by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 23, 2008

VA Secretary Establishes ALS as a Presumptive Compensable Illness
Cites Association between Military Service and Later Development of ALS
WASHINGTON – Veterans with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) may receive badly-needed support for themselves and their families after the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced today that ALS will become a presumptively compensable illness for all veterans with 90 days or more of continuously active service in the military.
“Veterans are developing ALS in rates higher than the general population, and it was appropriate to take action,” Secretary of Veterans Affairs Dr. James B. Peake said.
Secretary Peake based his decision primarily on a November 2006 report by the National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine (IOM) on the association between active-duty service and ALS.
“We are extremely grateful to Secretary Peake, Congressman Henry Brown and Senator Lindsey Graham for standing on the side of veterans with ALS across the country,” said Gary Leo, president and CEO of The ALS Association. “Thanks to their leadership, veterans with ALS will receive the benefits and care they need, when they need them. Thanks to their efforts, no veteran with ALS will ever be left behind.”
The report, titled Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis in Veterans: Review of the Scientific Literature, analyzed numerous previous studies on the issue and concluded that “there is limited and suggestive evidence of an association between military service and later development of ALS.”
“ALS is a disease that progresses rapidly, once it is diagnosed,” the Secretary explained. “There simply isn’t time to develop the evidence needed to support compensation claims before many veterans become seriously ill. My decision will make those claims much easier to process, and for them and their families to receive the compensation they have earned through their service to our nation.”
- More -
New Regulation on ALS Presumptive 2/2/2/2

ALS, also called Lou Gehrig’s disease, is a neuromuscular disease that affects about 20,000 to 30,000 people of all races and ethnicities in the United States, is often relentlessly progressive, and is almost always fatal.
ALS causes degeneration of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that leads to muscle weakness, muscle atrophy, and spontaneous muscle activity. Currently, the cause of ALS is unknown, and there is no effective treatment.
The new interim final regulation applies to all applications for benefits received by VA on or after September 23, 2008, or that are pending before VA, the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, or the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit on that date.
VA will work to identify and contact veterans with ALS, including those whose claims for ALS were previously denied, through direct mailings and other outreach programs.
To view the entire regulation published in the Federal Register today, go to: www.federalregister.gov/OFRUpload/OFRData/2008-21998_PI.pdf. For more information on VA’s disability compensation program, go to www.va.gov or contact 1-800-827-1000.

# # #

For the latest news releases and other information, visit VA on the Internet at
www.va.gov...
To receive e-mail copies of news releases, subscribe to VA’s list server at:
www.va.gov...

I want to emphasis the following point:

The Secretary of the VA is citing an “Association between Military Service and later Development of ALS”, a rare, incurable, and inevitably lethal, disease.

The Secretary even states that ”Veterans are developing ALS at Higher Rates than the general population”. And please note that nowhere in the notice does it draw any correlation between dates of service, duty station, duty activities, or even branch of service. No, we can infer, based on the all-inclusive language of the Secretary’s address, that merely having served in any of the service branches is sufficient to have increased your chances of dying in slow agony some time later in your life.

We ask so much of them.

They give so much more than we ask.

But then, all too often, we simply discard them.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This is very scary news! My father was in the marine corp and was stationed there for awhile. My brother was born there. Also, my wifes first husband was stationed there and my step daughter was born there.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by spacecase7717

Spacecase,

Well that is scary then, especially for you and yours! I sure hope that you all are ok, so far?
Here is a link to follow the hearings:
www.science.house.gov...

I did try and post some very comprehensive information in the first post, and my second one. The links are there, and perhaps....I will just post them here also. I hope that gives you a good start!

Home of The Few, The Proud, The Forgotton
Site Dedicated To The Marines/Naval personnel, dependent family members and civilians, and residents

www.tftptf.com...

More Resources for Information, Contacts, Studies, and Help

Camp Lejeune Historic Drinking Water
The Marine Corps encourages all those who lived or worked at Camp Lejeune before 1987 to register to receive notifications regarding Camp Lejeune Historic Drinking Water.
clnr.hqi.usmc.mil...

Department Of Veterans Affairs BenefitsCamp Lejeune Water Contamination Fact Sheet

edit on 15-9-2010 by burntheships because: add link

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
None of them have any major health problems except for my mother. She doesn't have cancer, but just about anything else you can think of. She does have fibermialga (spelling?), a brain tumor, digestive issues, and other problems. I don't know about my wifes first husband, we haven't had contact with him for 14 or so years.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Well, there are a few reasons I am keeping information, and safety is primary.

People, for some unknown reason, keep mistaking that I am anti-Government.

Which is wholly untrue and a common misconception.

I am anti-corruption within Government, Military, and Law Enforcement.

I know what I know due to my stepfather and his being a Marine during Vietnam.

The areas I disagree with are foreign and or domestic policy and National Security.

And due to protecting the the policies, procedures, and protocols of C.I.D. I am remaining silent.

Yes, Government, more so certain people within it, commit crimes, cover-ups, and collusive behaviors.

The C.I.D. and their actions is where I draw the line because they do their jobs.

Discipline, commitment to excellence, and safety are something I admire.

Having not read this specific study I can only speak of prior knowledge of cover-ups.

If you find more detailed information I will be more than happy to give my opinions and ideas.

Here is some information I did some digging up on myself about this story.

Salem News - Marine Corps Busted Over Benzene Contamination at Lejeune

...and...

The Few, The Proud, The Forgotten - Camp Lejeune Toxic Water

...and...

BOYD PRESSES DEFENSE DEPARTMENT ON CAMP LEJEUNE WATER CONTAMINATION

Hope that adds some depth to your knowledge I know it did for me.

Keep digging deeper if you really want answers.

Here's the address and phone number for Congressman Allen Boyd.

Contact Information : Congressman Allen Boyd

Washington, DC Office
1227 Longworth HOB
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-5235
(202) 225-5615 Fax

You might be surprised what they will send you if you send a request for information.

edit on 15-9-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth To The Post.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I just want to add that there's the same problem going on near a military base where I am. The Canadian Forces Base Valcartier in Quebec used TCE in the 70s as a grease cleaner. TCE eventually managed to get into the underground water and into the water supply which was feeding the nearby town of Shannon of around 4000 people.

A couple of cases have been reported in the citizens of the town and a collective recourse is being built. The stance the CF have taken regarding this matter is that the event is not as dramatic as citizens are making it to be. tehy are also questionning a lot of studys and investigations regarding the TCE contamination.

I could put up some links but they're all going to be in french.

For good measure : www.quebecoislibre.org...

edit on 15-9-2010 by Wowbagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Bhadhidar,

Yes, it is quite true that our men and women who serve and protect are often exposed to great risks, and known dangers. They are brave courageous souls that deserve our respect, our honor and our best care.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Yes, it was always touted as so safe, right? As I said, we drank bottled, and then we switched to reverse osmosis...
Not like the town water would have been any safer, truthfully. With all the contaminants from hog/ chicken farming, the Pfiesteria onslaught, nitrites from fertilizers with tobacco/ corn/ etc... farming... added to the crap that filtered in from all the military ops around the county...

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wowbagger
I could put up some links but they're all going to be in french.

For good measure : www.quebecoislibre.org...

reply to post by Wowbagger

Thanks for your contribution to the thread! I used your link with google translate -

Google Translated

The municipality of Shannon is located north of Quebec City and has between 3,900 and 4,150 inhabitants according to sources. She has for many years, the scene of groundwater contamination by industrial degreaser, Trichloroethylene (TCE). This product got there because a weapons factory and a military base (Valcartier) have rejected in a pond in contact with groundwater.

Today, 200 people believe that this contamination gave them cancer, while 1,200 additional attribute to various ailments. However, there are too many problems with the statistical treatment of data in order to affirm. This case, in my opinion, is a fine example of misuse of scientific data.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Now this gives me pause. Only because my father died after a valiant 7 year battle with ALS in 2003. He was 53. They, of course, have no idea what caused it, though my mother swore it was his addiction to Diet Pepsi (i.e. the aspartame) that did it. He never, ever got sick, not even a cold before this.

That really, really makes me burn that the military was denying benefits to veterans in the face of an incurable, terminal illness. Perhaps they were banking on them dying before they could appeal the decision. ALS usually kills quickly, between 18months-2 years. My father was one of the "weirdos" that lived longer than they expected... in fact he went for a long time every few months for blood tests so they could see if there was something in his serum keeping him alive longer.
It gets very expensive, and it is the most horrific disease to ever watch anyone die of. I would not wish it on anyone, not a single soul on earth.
God have mercy on those heartless people who turned their backs on those veterans and their families.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

Your mother, as the surviving spouse of a vetran with ALS, may be eligible for benefits (up to $1,100.00 US) per month.

Contact the phone number referenced in the article.

Add: U2U me if you have questions regarding the application process. I'll check and get back to you by U2U. Might take a few days, though.

edit on 16-9-2010 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Benzene is a pretty toxic chemical and it is a known carcinagenic substance. It's considered unsafe to drink water with levels over 0.005mg/litre.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

S&F

...A bad apple, like a base commander lining his pockets? Or bigger, as in an integral part of the military-industrial complex? (Which treats grunts like, well... grunts.)

Note: Members of the military-industrial complex likely had lots of chemicals to be disposed of, and those safe-disposal fees can be a killer...

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The same thing is happening on Fort Drum, though the older section of the base that has the [old] water tower. There have been multiple cases of cancer for the few soldiers and airmen living on that sectoin of the base. The base commander ordered an internal inquiry (nothing formal) and boiled it down to either the esbestos in the WWII era buildings or the brid-droppings in the water tower. After this inquiry, most of the soldiers were moved off that section of the base, though National Guard, Reserve and Sheriff SWAT are still housed there for their training. It was kept under wraps too.

I think cases such as these are more of a Base and/or Garrison Commander's failure to do their job, more than the Military's fault, though ultimately it is the government's fault for putting assigning the inept commanders in the first place.

--airspoon

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join