It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm SHOCKED: My child says "Big Brother" to be monitoring her classroom via webcam,,,

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I'm not sure what to think about this revelation my daughter informed me of tonight. I plan on getting to the bottom of it tomorrow, but I wanted to put this out now to see if anyone has a child with this situation in his/her classroom...I don't want to jump to conclusions until I talk to her school, but here's what she told me:

A few days ago, she said a "flat screen t.v." was installed in every classroom at her school. The only area not to receive one was the cafeteria. My daughter and a couple of classmates discussed amongst themselves how the school was able to afford flat screen t.v.'s when it didn't have enough money to purchase the basic supplies for the classroom. This discussion led to her classmate posing this question to the teacher, (much to his chagrin, according to my daughter.)

The teacher's response was that the "t.v.'s" were purchased through "parent donations," and that they were going to be used in conjunction with webcams because "Big Brother's gonna be watching you every now and then." He said occasionally a "face would appear in a pop up screen" on the t.v. which would indicate the class was being monitored at that moment.

WTF?

My daughter said there was no mention whatsoever of these flat screen "t.v.'s" being used for remote classroom instruction or for teaching more than one class simultaneously. Also, she said there was no mention of the t.v.'s being used to view instructional videos. Though I never use the term "Big Brother" myself, she has knowledge of it's use in reference to the government and told me she got the impression that her teacher was, indeed, saying that it was the government who would be watching them.

So upon hearing this news, I was concerned about several things:

1. "Parent donations" paid for flat screen monitors for every classroom in the school? I think not. Our city's school district is largely made up of low income families and I seriously doubt they would offer up cash for such purposes. If these screens are a result of "parent donations," what prompted a parent to donate to this cause? There have been no requests for such donations made to parents that I'm aware of.

2. There has been no notification whatsoever that this monitoring system was going to be installed, let alone what it's purpose is. I suspect if the parents were to be informed of this, they, too, would be questioning why such equipment has been purchased despite the fact there have been severe cutbacks to our entire district, even to the point of our classrooms not having all the necessary supplies for day to day instruction.

3. If the classrooms ARE going to be monitored, who is doing the monitoring and for what purpose?

Like I said before, I'm going to get to the bottom of this tomorrow, at which time I'll update. Hopefully, this is not a program that is government-based. However, after doing a little research on the Internet, I tend to think it's going to be just that.

Perhaps this has been discussed on ATS before, but I did find this article dated back in 2003 that reports a school in Biloxi, Mississippi, had installed webcams in every classroom for "security reasons." Here's a snippet from the article and the link:

www.usatoday.com...

So far, Biloxi is the only school district in the nation to install Webcams in every classroom — nearly 500 so far. But school districts in cities nationwide and in England are experimenting with classroom Webcams for security reasons, installing the affordable cameras in hallways and selected classrooms and planning devices for future schools. One security firm says it's negotiating with an undisclosed urban district to install 15,000 cameras so security personnel can keep an eye on classes, hallways and parking lots.

If this is, indeed what these flat screens have been installed for, why all the secrecy? Furthermore how were they truly paid for?

There's also this link to an article from CBS earlier this year involving a high school that was caught spying on students via webcams in numerous school-issued laptops:

www.cbsnews.com...

As stated in the first article, many parents don't mind at all that their child is monitored by webcams because they say they want to know what their child is up to. I just view this kind of thing as a form of indoctrination designed to get our kids accustomed to being under the camera's eye all the time.

Like I said, I don't know if this is, indeed, what is happening at my child's school, but if it is, hopefully you share my concern over the idea of our kids being surveilled on a random basis. Doesn't that task fall under the job duties of the the teacher? Is it now the circumstance that the teacher is not sufficient to handle one classroom to the point we must resort to having the school staff, the police, or some branch of the government spying on them as well?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I found out in 1992 that they where using electronic mind control in schools in london, so i would not be surprised.

You do something even small at school, and they will be using these things on you.

Big bro webcams are tiny to how far they go.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I found out in 1992 that they where using electronic mind control in schools in london, so i would not be surprised.

What? Is this something that was reported in the news? How did you find this out?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
After speaking to someone at your child's school, regardless of their explanation, you should go to the nearest Community Legal Aid (if you have that in US) for some advise on privacy laws.

It may not help, but at least you will know your legal rights and your rights regarding keeping your childs life secure and private.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Andy makes these statements all the time. Yet he has never made a thread about it or produced a shred of evidence.

Are you positive your daughter doesn't know you use this site and it's just some attempt to pull a joke on you?

If this is true, it's very weird and wrong in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

i'm thinking "parent donations" is code for "taxes".

as for webcams in schools, i don't think it is a great idea at all.

that is what i think,
et

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

Like I said, I don't know if this is, indeed, what is happening at my child's school, but if it is, hopefully you share my concern over the idea of our kids being surveilled on a random basis. Doesn't that task fall under the job duties of the the teacher? Is it now the circumstance that the teacher is not sufficient to handle one classroom to the point we must resort to having the school staff, the police, or some branch of the government spying on them as well?

Do you have any idea how many students one teacher has to a classroom? Sometimes classes have more than 30 students in them at one time. A teachers job is to teach, not supervise your child and all the others.

I don't know about you, because our SHOCK values must be different.

Things like this, shock me:

schoolshooting.org...

Take a gander at the link above, and then wonder again why you are "shocked" over this. You ought to be glad that the school is concerned about the safety of your child, and that of the classmates.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
All those rumors you hear about US schools becoming communist training camps are true.

Schools putting cameras in bathroom.

www.homelandstupidity.us...

School uses laptop to spy on kids.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Here's an example of how schools can spy on your kids through their laptop live.

www.youtube.com...

Combine all that with how kids have to go through metal detectors, in some cases sniffing dogs, and I'm sure you can quickly realize something is wrong.

edit on 15-9-2010 by American_Soviets because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
"Big Brother" is an overused and generic term these days. I imagine that the teacher was playing. And here's why...

The installation of a web cam based surveillance system does not require TV's to be put into classrooms. It would only require small cameras in them. So the TV's are there to serve another purpose.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Take a gander at the link above, and then wonder again why you are "shocked" over this. You ought to be glad that the school is concerned about the safety of your child, and that of the classmates.

Blanca, you are comparing apples to oranges. So I'm not allowed to be shocked by something that isn't the equivalent of what's in your link? Please....

You're here on ATS often enough.. . . yet you cannot see the bigger picture, can you? There's some coffee brewing, Blanca, time to wake up and get a whiff of that aroma.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

The installation of a web cam based surveillance system does not require TV's to be put into classrooms. It would only require small cameras in them. So the TV's are there to serve another purpose.

Actually, Hefficide, you are right on all counts. But regardless of any other purposes the t.v. may serve, I want to find out what the "Big Brother" deal is about. The whole this is very odd if you look at it from the standpoint of the budget cuts to our schools. Plus, I think it's rather odd that the teacher wouldn't have just said that the flat screens were for viewing instructional videos or for getting video messages from the school staff. Why say "Big Brother's gonna be watching you?"

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
How old is your child?
I was wondering if maybe the class is going to be learning 1984 and they are trying to do it in an alternative way..

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

"Big Brother" is an overused and generic term these days. I imagine that the teacher was playing. And here's why...

Could it be Big Brother Obama wants to speak to your kids? Without you listening.
Second line Bah~

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
There are cameras every where. I'm sure they're doing it for "security" reasons. It's sad, living our lives, all under some one's watchful eye.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver

Could it be Big Brother Obama wants to speak to your kids? Without you listening.
Second line Bah~

I wouldn't doubt it a bit. But it wouldn't be anything new.

When my daughter came home from her very first day of school, about twelve years ago, I asked her what she learned that day (as I did every day for a long time) and she told me "I learned how to have the policeman arrest you if spank me."

Big brothers been speaking to the kids for a long, long time.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by American_Soviets

Combine all that with how kids have to go through metal detectors, in some cases sniffing dogs, and I'm sure you can quickly realize something is wrong.

American_Soviets, I have no doubt that we're gonna be seeing more of this kind of thing over time as long as our current government powers remain as they are. However, I'll be the first to admit, there are many schools in America that have become so overrun with the criminal element that the implementation of the things you mention above is warranted for safety's sake alone. I attended a middle school for a year where the teachers couldn't perform their jobs out of fear of the students. There were knives, drugs, and god knows what else brought to school by the students, who ran amok causing fights, stealing, and commandeering the classrooms every day...and that was back in the 70's! Today, it's 10 times worse!

However, I have seen cases where the schools used the metal detectors, sniffing dogs, etc., and it resulted in the school way overstepping it's boundaries--a problem inherent with extreme preventative measures such as those.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Ha, ha! No kidding...

That's exactly what I'm afraid of is the Obama "message, " be it subliminal or otherwise...

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Webcams.. huh
Call me oldschool someway but im not using webcams personally, and even if i would use 1 in my appartment,
i would unplug it immediately after use. i dont like the idea someone "authorized" looking trough my webcam..

I suggest that if you own a webcam, after using it, unplug it.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

Blanca, you are comparing apples to oranges. So I'm not allowed to be shocked by something that isn't the equivalent of what's in your link? Please....

You're here on ATS often enough.. . . yet you cannot see the bigger picture, can you? There's some coffee brewing, Blanca, time to wake up and get a whiff of that aroma.

Sorry, don't agree. Something is brewing, and you are correct. Scenario's of children bringing weapons to school, to not only kill teachers but also classmates is on the rise. A teacher has their back to the class quite often, and they do not have eyes in the back of their heads!

Perhaps you should be more concerned over the level of violence perpetuated by school aged children, rather than wondering why schools need to monitor the kids who should be in class to learn, rather than on a killing spree. Did you look at the link I provided? School shootings are happening at the middle school level.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

When my daughter came home from her very first day of school, about twelve years ago, I asked her what she learned that day (as I did every day for a long time) and she told me "I learned how to have the policeman arrest you if spank me."

Hefficide, having a previous law enforcement career, I can tell you that does not surprise me in the least. I have witnessed many children who've been indoctrinated into the, "spankings are child abuse" theory. Unfortunately, those reports are quite common with today's kids, who have no idea what the ramifications are for the accused parent.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join