It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ubuntu 10.10 beta is out.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I've been having a lot of difficulties getting my newer machine dual-booting windows & ubuntu. I gave up for a few days, but this thread got me thinking of ubuntu again and I realized there was another option to install ubuntu inside of windows. Not sure exactly how that works, but am trying it out.

If it wasn't for the adobe suite I'd leave windows behind entirely. Linux has come very far in the last decade. No more configure, make, make install.. it's all .deb, .rpm, yum, apt-get, etc.. Very easy to get a stable system that can do nearly anything windows can and oh so much more.

Installing right now !!

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

There is a program in Linux called 'Wine' it's a Windows emulator that allows you to run Windows programs on Linux.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Yeah, I've tried using that program for years. It used to be extremely buggy, but now is only a bit so. I still haven't found any program I want to use that is stable under it.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Think our work backup machine runs on Ubuntu, tried it a little and I quite like it. Got given an Asus Eee today by a customer
so decided to install Linux Mint 9 on it to give it a try, quite impressed so far though the Software Manager is somewhat daunting
Any advice on any particular software to install?

- Phoenix

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenix_zephyr

The software manager on Mint9 is horrid. The one aspect I really dislike (as compared to Mint8)... but, other than that (and it's really more of an organizational/cosmetic issue, IMO) 9 has been great so far.

edit on 20-9-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'm just looking at a lot of the packages and going
I have no idea what half of them do or if I need them
Got the basics like open office and the like (I use that on my tower
) just trying to figure what would be useful to a Linux newb

- Phoenix

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
No antivirus crap,
no viruses,
no SLOWness,
no taking ages to shut down and start up.
My ubuntu boots up entirely in less than 15 seconds, (closer to 10)
and shuts down in about 7 seconds.
not ten minutes and 7 minutes, like windoze. lol

the updates are not intrusive like windows,
and they do not DEMAND that you do them, and install useless, unknown crap on your PC,

I dunno, I could keep listing and listing,
and really still couldnt say enough good about Ubuntu.

its amazing.

If everyone did like you, (no updates, no AV) then that wouldn’t be the case for long. Updates are there for a reason. There has already been some viruses attacking unpatched linux servers, turning them into botnets.

Most hackers/security experts have stated that an unpatched linux installation is an open door to a network.

Your combo of no updates for the OS plus no auto update AV is just asking for it.

Heck, there is even a virus that is running through MIPS based linux internet routers.

www.zdnet.com...

On the start up/shut down thing.
My windows installation does a cold start in 24 seconds. It shuts down in 20 seconds.
It sill start up from standby in under 5 seconds or shut down to standby in 3.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
So I tried installing Kubuntu on my Macbook Pro and the install kept crashing when it tried installing GRUB to /dev/sda3 which is where you have to install it. And so I tried installing Ubuntu 10.10 beta and it said I had to manually set up the partitions eh which I'd rather not mess up my whole hard drive. Installing on Mac is hard, the audio doesn't even work on the live cd, you have to set it up manually after you install the OS. Same goes for the keyboard backlight, audio jack for headphones, etc.

Linux installs way easy on PCs though. I never have had a problem doing it. Oh well. I might try again when I have more time.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
nvm - solved.

edit on 22-9-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Here is pic of my Kubuntu set up. It's fun to play around in.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6256b2113924.png[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
So can someone tell me if i install this, will i be able to dualboot with my windows 7?.

I need to play my games.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Yes you can dual boot. It's easy. Just chose to "install them side by side"

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Did not work for my system. I couldn't get either to boot no matter what I did. I tired a windows repair, and all the repair options in ubuntu. Had to start over, and finally decided to just stick with ubuntu.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Kubuntu for some reason does a poor job at burning cds/dvds with K3d and my wifi stopped working on it and I couldn't get it to work so I deleted it. Will just still with Ubuntu because Gnome seems to be more stable and work better than KDE.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Wow, k3b. It's been a while since I was on KDE. Gnome seems to be a bit more stable, but I haven't used KD3 in years, so can't really comment. All I can say is that ubuntu rocks, and it was cake to set everything up in my system.

*sudo apt-get install* is your friend!

Setting start-up apps is incredibly easy, and I've yet to find a single thing I want to do in windows that can't be done in ubuntu.

The system really flies on my meager 1mg cache e3300 overclocked to 3.75ghz 1200mhz fsb. Slicker than win7.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
After I deleted my Kubuntu partition and put the empty space back to Windows 7 I defragged and then went to install Ubuntu 10.10 RC and... the option to install them side by side was not listed. I thought it might be a glitch but after I ran ScanDisk from Windows it seems to have fixed the problem and now Ubuntu allows the side by side install.

Hassle sometimes lol.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Here is my Ubuntu 10.10 Release Candidate with 3D cube and 3D windows effect on the cube. Image

Like my Tux penguin background lol?
edit on 5-10-2010 by TinFoilHatMan55 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2010 by TinFoilHatMan55 because: added minor details.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Emptiness Dancing

Does Gimp do the same things as photoshop? How do they compare?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

Yes they do. You can even use photoshop brushes in the gimp now. when installing it in windows, if you use avgfree, for some reason it tries to call a normal process in the gimp a spyware and tries to block it, which is a bit odd, and on the official forums this was sited as a normal needed process, so it does seem that windows has bought off a few other companies.

In any case, the book Grokking the Gimp is available online and many tutorials.

Also for animation and games, Blender is a wonderful tool, quite Geeky and complex.

Inkscape is great for line art, there are others, such as Xara extreme for linux free. And Scribus and open office for desktop publishing.
edit on 25-10-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Thanks.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join