It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IG investigating the DOJ over the Black Panther polling center incident.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Well, its about time they did something about this. It seems the Inspector General has opened an investigation into whether the Dept of Justice has been biased in its enforcement regarding Voting Section enforcement policies.

Inspector General Investigates DOJ

The Justice Department’s failure to prosecute the 2008 Black Panther voter intimidation case has prompted the Department of Justice’s internal watchdog to launch an investigation into the DOJ’s enforcement of civil rights laws.

In a letter addressed to Smith and Wolf, the Justice Department’s Inspector General Glenn Fine announced his department's intention to investigate the DOJ. “This review will examine, among other issues, the type of cases brought by the Voting Section and any changes in these types of cases over time, any changes in Voting Section enforcement policies or procedures over time, whether the Voting Section has enforced the civil rights laws in a non-discriminatory manner; and whether any Voting Section employees have been harassed for participating in the investigation of prosecution of particular matters.”

However, Fine emphasized that his office does not possess the legal authority to investigate the Black Panther voter intimidation case specifically, but that his investigation will look “more broadly at the overall enforcement of civil rights laws by the Voting Section,” which includes “information about cases such as the New Black Panther matter and others.”

Fine adds that the Justice Department’s Office of Professional Responsibility does have the authority to investigate the Black Panther case, and is in fact “near the end” of its analysis. Likewise, the United States Commission on Civil Rights is in the process of investigating the case.

The New American

Well, it looks like they won't be reopening the Black Panther case but, hopefully, they will hold some people responsible for the reverse-biased enforcement policies.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
While I'm glad they are looking into it, I wouldn't hold my breath for anything to happen with this administration. Sad to say, but our post racial president doesn't really seem that way, and the DOJ sure as hell isn't post racial, they are just post white. Ah well, sooner or later things will balance out, until then things will swing one way and then the other until the inevitable happens.S&F for pointing this out.....

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This was an interesting case because most people believe that nothing was done at all about it, they assume this because of the clip that everyone saw. That this "voter intimidation" went on all day, that people were beaten to bloody pulps for trying to vote by vicious black panther thugs, and that people were terrified to be anywhere near the building.

This is the clip that everyone saw.

This is the video that people missed.

Seems to me that they weren't stopping anyone from voting, and when asked to leave by the police they complied immediately.

So if they didn't stop anyone from voting, how can it be voter intimidation?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Good find, I never saw that 2nd video.

Must be more of that right-wing media bias.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

The funny thing to me is that if you look in the background and ignore the black panthers for a while, you can see people freely going in and out of the building, the guys don't appear to be trying to stop anyone from going in or out of the building at all.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Thanks for the video Whatukno

I am actually curious what these conservative groups hope to gain from making this old non-issue an issue again? Attention? To get the voter based riled up again? To further establish that Obama did not win the elections fairly? So many possibilities.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
heres another video some people missed

this guy isnt a threat but all those whitey teapartiers are the guy will get off simple fact its a crime to be white in america in this day and age.

i can imagine the non stop 24/7 bashing if some teapartier said anything like this and it was caught on video- but wait you wont find that.

but this guy gets a free pass.

edit on 15-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

How can it be intimidation you asked?

Simply by "those" guys standing at the entrance with a club could easily cause certain voters to turn around and drive away and not even vote..

pretty simple psychology

You even posing that question at all gives it away totally which party you belong to...

can see right through that

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
this guy isnt a threat but all those whitey teapartiers are the guy will get off simple fact its a crime to be white in america in this day and age.

I don't understand the point of you or the video? All I see is this argument that this black panther guy is a racist and hates all whites? And? There are 1000's of klansman and other white racist groups all around the country, infact the number has shot up ever since Obama because president. There are also a sizable number of black racist groups, there is a largest black racial group in Atlanta... and? Quiet frankly although I am ashamed that such people still exist in this day and age, they 'exist', they are a fringe segment of the population and quiet frankly they have the right to believe whatever the hell they want. I want nothing to do with them and vice versa, so why should you worry?

i can imagine the non stop 24/7 bashing if some teapartier said anything like this and it was caught on video

Like what? Stand outside a building and yell insults at groups of people? Really? Have not seen a tea partier do something like that? Where have you been?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

How can it be intimidation you asked?

Simply by "those" guys standing at the entrance with a club could easily cause certain voters to turn around and drive away and not even vote..

Wouldn't that just be the problem of the person not voting? Other people came and went without a problem from these guys, white people, black people, not a problem. I mean if a person is a coward then well, maybe rain scares them too.

You even posing that question at all gives it away totally which party you belong to...

I registered as an Independent, always have always will be an independent, so...

It's interesting to me though, you claim to know my political stance by this one question. While many people seem to think that I am some Democrat/liberal/whatever, I actually see myself as more center than anything. I don't believe in gun control. I do believe in the death penalty, I do believe in a woman's right to choose. I believe in lower spending in government, and lower taxes for the middle and lower classes, I believe in eliminating the DHS, the NSA, and the ATF and shunting those responsibilities to either the FBI or CIA. I don't agree with the Patriot Act. But for some reason people mistake me for some liberal.

What do they say about people that assume?

new topics

top topics

join