It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Doctor Writes a Letter blaming "Culture Crisis" not "Health Care Crisis"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Here is a young physician by the name of Dr. Roger Starner Jones. He wrote a two-paragraph "letter to the editor" blaming it on a "Culture Crisis" instead of a "Health Care Crisis"..

Dear Sirs:
During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one pack of cigarettes every day, eats only at fast-food take-outs, and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer. And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture" a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
ROGER STARNER JONES, MD

While I do agree with what he is saying, I am also concerned about the millions of people who lost their job and really do need healthcare. But, it does make me angry that there are people abusing the system..

How can you possibly distinguish between who really needs it and who doesn't?
Example, someone loses their job, however while they had a job they were able to get tattoo's, gold teeth ect. But now they need help. Just because they look like they are abusing the system doesnt mean they are and it doesn't necessarily mean they were irresponsible.

Tough to judge a person unless you live in their house..

snopes

edit on 14-9-2010 by earth2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

the doctor does make some convincing observations. as for the "culture crisis" i would suggest we compare her to her own generational demographic in the area in which she resides. Are these "luxuries" and accessories the norm? Has she been "conditioned" in a society in which she feels the need for these things in order to "fit in" with what her immediate culture requires for status symbols and fashion?

perhaps it is a psychologically enduced imperative that causes her to think such things are necessary for her to have in her immediate environment?

i say move her into that doctor's house and neighborhood for three years, and move the doctor into her house or apartment for three years.

see what the doctor would have to do to "fit in" or if the doctor would be required to make personal compromises to his life style in order to be acknowledged and recognized as a member of her demographic and societal background.

i do think this doctor is a little bit judgemental, but his observations do have merit.

these are some of my thoughts on the subject, but i doubt i would write a letter to the president to share my input with him.

thanks for sharing this OP. S&F,
et

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

The doctor made some very good points and so did you.

I don't know what the perfect answer to this problem is but maybe we should fund a single payer health care system with a "sales tax." At least that way the guy would be paying his share for health care when he buys his gold, tennis shoes and tattoos.

Who knows, maybe even collect a little tax on his Escalade parked in the E.R. parking lot, you know the one with the fancy gold plated mag wheels and a stereo system that will vibrate you out of your seal belt, three lanes over.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Do you have a link to the letter? I mean I don't doubt it but just asking. I have family that work in the ER as well and I have heard untold stories like this through the years and there is usually a repeat patient that uses the ER as a Dr.s office rather than just going to a regular Physician.

This practice alone is reason for skyrocketing medical bills, they have to charge more because in order to receive anything back from the system they charge everyone the same.

Also:

When asked who their regular Physician is, they say whoever is on duty when they come in. Many times when they come in and are told that the child simply needs sleep, hydration and Tylenol, the family will claim that they need an RX as they have no money and yet are sporting cans of soda and cigarette packs in their shirt pockets.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Actually its a viral on facebook that I read today and I didn't even think about a source at the time. However, I googled his name and found out it really wasn't a letter to the President as the facebook viral suggested, but rather a letter to the editor in a newspaper column.

This is the doctor who wrote the letter none the less, though.
Not sure if I should try to correct the title or not...???

Here is a link to snopes, but there are many other sources if you google the doctors name. Dr. Roger Starner Jones

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Probably fine as it is but I am not always the best judge on these matters, lol. Hopefully the point is far more important than the source. People are being pushed and pulled and the more it is discussed the better we all will be. I dont want to wake up one day and say "Oh yeah, it's always been this way."

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Narcissism and complete idiocy of the credit generation.

Oh, I will pay for it later is one of the major parts.

Now, this is not the fault of the people, the government has been pushing this for awhile. The ever increasing debt bubble allowed the government to extend the problems as long as it could. The health care bill and the cap and tax was supposed to allow them to kick the problems down the road again for a few more decades.

ObamaCare is JUST another scheme just like social security was, just as medicare was, just as the income tax, ad infinitum.

The SOLUTION is for people to quit being a narcissistic society. Self indulgence. NO planning. NO savings.

What about me?

Sorry, never used credit my entire life, never will. Think about that. Instead of paying a bank 30 years for your house, why not save for 10 and own it? Oh, THAT IS JUST CRAZY!

I feel sorry for no one that has any modern luxury and would complain about not having the basics. Period.

I especially find folks posting on the internet with a $1100 computer paying $50-100/month for HSI and they tell me they cannot pay for their own damn health care. Not to mention their other hedonistic practices. Have you been out to a restaraunt or bar within the last two months? Smoke? Drink? Got cable? Dish? Two cars instead of one?

Since the beginning of this downturn, many places started telling people to get out of the credit and spending debacle they were in. That this is the main problem with their debts. Some listened, some did not.

Things are only going to get worse. This spiral of increased taxation (which is what the HC bill is) and increased spending by government is only going to get worse.

Take a GANDER at this table-www.treasurydirect.gov...

2009 $383,071,060,815.42
2008 $451,154,049,950.63
2007 $429,977,998,108.20
2006 $405,872,109,315.83
2005 $352,350,252,507.90
2004 $321,566,323,971.29
2003 $318,148,529,151.51
2002 $332,536,958,599.42
2001 $359,507,635,242.41
2000 $361,997,734,302.36
1999 $353,511,471,722.87
1998 $363,823,722,920.26
1997 $355,795,834,214.66
1996 $343,955,076,695.15
1995 $332,413,555,030.62
1994 $296,277,764,246.26
1993 $292,502,219,484.25
1992 $292,361,073,070.74
1991 $286,021,921,181.04
1990 $264,852,544,615.90
1989 $240,863,231,535.71
1988 $214,145,028,847.73

That is the INTEREST payments we have made on the debt since 1988.

TELL ME, how much does that ADD up to?

And the spending only spirals out of control. What are we going to do? Are we going to go out and buy some more BAUBLES?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'm so glad that that doctor who has the luxury of a great education is so competent to sit in judgment on others who may have come from a background where eating at McDonalds was one of life's only pleasures since babyhood...

The PERSON with the gold tooth may not have ever been educated much past a punch or slap a day and growing UP in a family where reliance on the government was the norm. Who has health insurance when no one has a job?

In that sort of way, YES, it is a culture crisis, but I hope to heck some judgmental BUTT like that is never my doctor, because there is no understanding or compassion in that little statement.

It won't be solved by blaming people for not taking care of themselves. Giving people resources and knowledge is what elevates them, not judging and condemning them because all you understand is your OWN blessed life's experience.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Here is a young physician by the name of Dr. Roger Starner Jones. He wrote a two-paragraph letter to the President blaming it on a "Culture Crisis" instead of a "Health Care Crisis"..

Dear Mr. President:
During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one pack of cigarettes every day, eats only at fast-food take-outs, and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer. And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture" a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
ROGER STARNER JONES, MD

While I do agree with what he is saying, I am also concerned about the millions of people who lost their job and really do need healthcare. But, it does make me angry that there are people abusing the system..

How can you possibly distinguish between who really needs it and who doesn't?
Example, someone loses their job, however while they had a job they were able to get tattoo's, gold teeth ect. But now they need help. Just because they look like they are abusing the system doesnt mean they are and it doesn't necessarily mean they were irresponsible.

Tough to judge a person unless you live in their house..

Dear Dr. Jones,

I am a medical biller by trade, I would be the person who would collect your money for you when you want to get paid for that retched piece of humanity you treated. The problem with healthcare in America is the cost of healthcare in America. Maybe your Hospital can implement a lay away plan so that I can see you, you are nice guy and I am sure that you will accept my 15 excess cans of soup I have stockpiled, I also have two pairs of shoe I no longer wear. Please make your signs more visible in the hospital so I know where to go when I need to negotiate with your establishment. I understand that medicine is an exotic thing and I am sure glad there are wonderful doctors like you about who care about people, regardless of their follies.

Maybe you should question why Insurance companies pay you at a discounted rate and charge the insured actuaries at the rate you bill them in the first place? Clearly you do not want to rock the boat and bite the hand that feeds you, but I wonder why you did not mention the fact that insurance companies take about half of the money that should have gone to you and your hospital? Thank you for the solutions and suggestions, no access to modern medicine for the the people who cannot afford modern medicine is best for all. I hope you enjoy working twice as hard to support the corporate structure that takes a large portion of money that should go to you. Maybe in the future we can put these low life people on an island or dispose of their kind at birth; because they certainly do not belong to the human race.

God Bless you!

P.S your so hansom taa hee hee!

edit on 14-9-2010 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Well Saltheart, you make valid points...

But let me ask you - how does a person making $1500.00 a month supposed to see a doctor here???

CREDIT
???

You point to one side of the corruption of society, but what about the other side of it?

It's a Doctor, it is not a Ferrari or a TV - Its a basic thing, likely the first and last thing all of us will encounter.

So what do we say about ourselves when we cannot even ensure this??? We just let the monster grow and grow?

This person reckons the cost will reach nearly $5,000,000,000,000.00 in ten years that FIVE TRILLION per year. I have done the math myself and I think that is fair if your consider this last decades inflation.

www.dotmed.com...

Five Trillion is nearly half the current GDP is it not?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

Yeah, as for the debt, we are done. There is NO way to pay off the debt.

Not unless we wipe out 1/2 of our current expenditures. Even at that rate, it would take a long time to do it. Unless we can expand the economy greatly. Which is my idea, eliminate income and property taxation and implement consumption taxation only.

As for the cost of medical, I know a lot of people would say it is my choice, but I would NEVER spend vast amounts of money to save my own life. Life was never meant to be a sure thing. Hell, I deal with extreme arthritis, take nothing for it. The leaf helped a little but not much.

Anyway, I have always thought that we need to step back from the monstrous hospitals with their $25 million pieces of equipment. Go back to the small doctor's offices. That is actually what I use. Costs me a whole $50 when I go in. The last time was 2 years ago. I think, it may have been longer.

Prevention smention. When my time is up, you know.

Anyway, it is all coming down one way or the other.

Did you notice the drop in the payments in 2009? Some would say that is a good thing. Oh if they only knew.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Where do we start with this doctor's letter?!

How about the first line?

"I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient ..." The doctor sounds arrogant and sarcastic from the very beginning.

Next:

"While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as 'Medicaid.' "

Yeah, right: "happened to notice" ? This guy is checking to see how he's getting paid from the get-go.

Then:

"The patient informed me that she smokes more than one pack of cigarettes every day, eats only at fast-food take-outs..."

How about you stop thinking about yourself for a second and warn her that she is endangering her health.

Yeah, he "just happened to notice" her Medicaid-payment status.

I also see a crisis of culture. It's a culture contaminated by doctors that only got into medicine to make money, without any concern for the the patient's well being. It's a crisis of medical-price inflation that could could be remedied very quickly by bringing in vast amounts of doctors, at least as talented as American doctors, from other countries that don't just go in to medicine to make a dollar.

Put just-as-talented foreign doctors that work for less in the ER. Also let's have insurance companies save money by promoting and paying for medical tourism for patients to cut costs.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I've heard that letter before, I received it in an e-mail. I understand where the doctor is coming from, It appears that this person ( I could be wrong ) Is playing the welfare system like a lot of people do now a days. In other words, If the person could afford all the jewlery and tattoos and such than they wouldn't normally qualify for welfare. I lost my job and I don't qualify for welfare and Its hard for me to put food on the table, hell, I'm behind in child support
for the time being. If these people weren't playing the system than the people that actually need it to help them get through to the next job ( which are very few of in my neck of the woods ) would actually qualify for assistance. In my honest and humble opinion, playing the welfare system is STEALING money from the hard working Americans. Theft is a crime punishable by the law. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

Yeah, as for the debt, we are done. There is NO way to pay off the debt.

Not unless we wipe out 1/2 of our current expenditures. Even at that rate, it would take a long time to do it. Unless we can expand the economy greatly. Which is my idea, eliminate income and property taxation and implement consumption taxation only.

As for the cost of medical, I know a lot of people would say it is my choice, but I would NEVER spend vast amounts of money to save my own life. Life was never meant to be a sure thing. Hell, I deal with extreme arthritis, take nothing for it. The leaf helped a little but not much.

Anyway, I have always thought that we need to step back from the monstrous hospitals with their $25 million pieces of equipment. Go back to the small doctor's offices. That is actually what I use. Costs me a whole $50 when I go in. The last time was 2 years ago. I think, it may have been longer.

Prevention smention. When my time is up, you know.

Anyway, it is all coming down one way or the other.

Did you notice the drop in the payments in 2009? Some would say that is a good thing. Oh if they only knew.

Well as I said I can agree with your idea on taxation, I don't think it could hurt to try something new.

I guess there will be a point when society contracts... To think we advance and advance to the point were
we can create these modern miracles of medicine, only to be too poor to use what we have invented.
For me personally I don't care if I pass, I would just like it to be without too much suffering. I think
"allowing" for assisted suicide in this society would help at this point, we can't get it together and hopefully
we can all agree that suffering can be mitigated.

For me it is the things that can be managed that piss me off, it also pisses me off that money has become a dictator for all, determining what you can and cannot do to the point were our individual existence can be threatened. On the other hand one cannot manage freedom... It could be that there is another system mankind has yet to discover... Either way I do not like either, both are flawed IMO, balance is built into nature, yet we cannot except this simple observation. We are nature; we thrive and suffer because we contest nature as a way of life.

By the number are you referring to decreased revenue?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Sadly, this "doctor" is 90% of the problem. He has the right to his opinions and ideas...but I hope his medical knowledge and abilities is a lot better than his opinion of the people he chose to "help"...then I had one just like him accuse me of some of the same things, including being a druggie because, though I worked, I never made enough to AFFORD the next great American dream....Medical Insurance.

Then again, Haven't met many doctors that when I get bad enough and need one (have bone cancer, always thought it was nothing more than really bad arthritis, took them three years to even suggest an MRI because I couldn't pay Cash and I was down to my last nerve with the pain) seems none of them really care, even though they say they do. Of course, not going to ever work again, because, if I did even try on my good days and weeks...they probably wouldn't get the MONEY they get by being paid by the State.

As long as the system remains as it is...without any major shake up such as wiping the slates clean and beginning from scratch...nothing will get any better. Obama can put all the BandAids on the problem he wants to...but he will NEVER be a doctor.

~holly

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

No, what I meant was the 2009 interest on the debt. Notice how the number went down instead of up.

You would assume that it would go up if you had more debt.

Good sign? No, that means the treasuries are not paying out as much in interest, so why not a correlary rise in commodity prices?

I call it a systemic dysfunction. Almost like the law of gravity has been reversed.

There has been a slight rise is commodity values, but not what you would see when treasury interest values decline as much as they have. Been spending a little time over at Tyler Durden's hang out reading on the total manipulations of the market, currencies, commodities, etc. It is becoming so blatant now, it is ALMOST funny.

I still think the stimulus package was used mainly for the manipulation of the markets. Would explain much.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I think the guy might be wrong about the "expensive" tattoos"...
by what I see in my neck of the woods, the poor have no problem getting affordable tattoos and I wouldn't be surprised if those tattoos send a few of them to the er really...
I know a few people who will tattoo for free, or a pack of smokes, or whatever...

as far as the rest, well, you can't judge the state of the healthcare system, or the country for that matter, on the grounds of what the gov't can (and does) provide to the poor that they deem worthy of help. I think there are still plenty of not so poors, who don't qualify for crap as far as help, who are visiting food pantries and such to avoid near starvation diets. there are people out there that can't afford to feed their families decently, let alone buy the overpriced insurance...let alone the overpriced medical care. they are just working hard, paying taxes, so others don't have to work, surviving to work another day!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

I'm beginning to wonder if the plunge protection team hasn't run out of metal to dump on the market though...
it's been a couple days, and they still haven't plunged those gold and silver prices. usually, if silver gets close to $20, it's get's knocked back down.....doesn't seem to be happening this time...
maybe they figure they have bigger problems at the moment like bailing out the cities (Pa had to bail out Harrisburg), or something...

either that or the rich don't know which way their money should go again... and found out that bonds from Harrisburg, and probably alot of other cities...ain't such a good place to be!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

I still think the stimulus package was used mainly for the manipulation of the markets. Would explain much.

Thats the point... it is meant to facilitate the flow of capital, howe ever you can only control/manipulate a market so much... The "outward" explanation is exactly what you said; it is like a giant loan-bet,,,

I read up on Keynes, you would get it more, the presented theory at least - now wether or not it creates
theft is another matter....

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Yeah, I did not know that the interest on the debt had gone down in 2009 until just a couple days ago.

I knew about a few bonds from different cities and different states were on the brink of being reset to a lower grade.

Sorry, when bonds and treasuries are not any good anymore, the only step left is to raise IR.

That is the beginning of the end, because that interest payment in 09 will triple in cost. Welcome to Wiemar Republic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join