It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Children's Book Coming from President Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

New Children's Book Coming from President Obama

blogs.abcnews.com

As part of the book deal then-Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., inked in 2004, Random House today announced the publication of a children’s book by the president, “Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters.”

The book will be released on November 16 – roughly two weeks after the midterm elections -- with a 500,000-copy first printing.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I guess we can all figure out why the nation is in such a sorry state. Between parties, vacations and golfing the POTUS has been writing a new book.

The optics on this, let alone what it says about how he actually spends his time are fantastic.

If he did not write a word of it, he is being disengenuous.

If he did actually write it, even if it was just sitting for interviews with a ghost writer he is neglecting the obligations of his office.

This gent is simply not serious about actually doing this job. He is just not serious

blogs.abcnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

If you look in the other thread on this topic you will see that the manuscript and deal were written before he was President.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

It's bad enough our presidents have become celebrities who appear on Saturday Night Live, Jay Leno, Oprah etc but now they have to become authors too?
Not to mention the Photo-Ops of them swimming in the Gulf , swinging a golf club, vacationing in Hawaii, riding a horse and visiting the Cape while 1 out of 4 of us are unemployed, 1 out of 10 of us are on food stamps and a slew of us are homeless or about to become so!!

They are SUPPOSE to be leading, protecting and helping to get us out of this mess!!
This just sickens me. This entire country is a joke.

So yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let our LEADER write a book now. I'm sure the revenue will go towards some worthy cause like, the endangered white rattle snake of South Dakota or something.

UGH! Please make this madness stop. Please?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
If he did actually write it, even if it was just sitting for interviews with a ghost writer he is neglecting the obligations of his office.

Where does it say, is it even implied or expected, that this man should dedicate 24 hours a day to his Office?? Do you think sleeping is inappropriate?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Just as a side note... I have a two-year old daughter. I made up a story the other night that I thought was pretty good. I wrote it up, dedicated ideas to pages, drew some things using Microsoft Paint, printed it, and the whole thing took at most 4 hours of my time.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Much as I hate to say anything positive about our Prez; if you read the article or rather blog apparently the proceeds will be donated to a scholarship fund for the children of disabled or fallen U.S. troops. So, let's give him some credit where it's due; if the blog is accurate the money will be going to a worthy cause.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It's okay for POTUS to write books, even for kids
but only the presidents that aren't war mongerers

would you let your kid read a book written by a war mongerer?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Like the first poster after the OP already stated, it was written before his presidency.

It was written in 2004 when he was a senator.

Personally I think he can do whatever he wants on his off time when he is off duty.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Originally posted by dolphinfan

If he did not write a word of it, he is being disengenuous.

Sorry but I think this is a totalitarian statement. Do you not a allow yourself to deviate from work? Certainly Bush (and most of the presidents before) were known for displaying a lot of free time.
Anyway writing a children’s book is hardly as brain-time consuming as studying, electron shell density, of the periodic table. And if he did do something that complicated it would be good. The only bad thing is to do with time, is nothing.

Also few people vote for someone to (pretend) to be work donkey, most just vote someone who will listen-represent public opinion (whilst providing pragmatic moderation, against any of its short-term, lunacies). That’s the main requirement of a leader, unfortunately it’s also what many powerful Demo-Rep’s supporters invest against.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
He's only doin what he does best !
Tellin fairytales !

Only now he's not just tellin 'em
He's sellin 'em !

edit on 073030p://09America/Chicago14 by ProRipp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I don't even know what to say about this. A part of me wants to say "oh, it's okay, he's just showing he has a heart and cares about children, etc." But then part of me wants to vomit because I know a lot of children will read this book, written by then Senator, Obama. The fact that the proceeds go to soldiers charity is nice...but come on! There are a lot of other children out there whose parents aren't killed or injured in war and still can't afford school. What about them? Are they saying if we do not serve for the country that we aren't worth having our children receive a good education? Don't get me wrong - I owe a ton of thanks and I will never forget those who serve and die, but don't their families get compensation anyways? Sorry...I just think the money could go to something else and again, not to sound insensitive or ungrateful either.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I see no problem that he wrote a book in 2004 - I just wonder why its being made public now (perhaps hoping it would help his image?) - just sayin!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Being Commander in Chief of the armed forces, who are on actually on duty 24/7, he should be attending to his duties like the men who serve under him do. Our armed forces represent our military on the battlefield, in the barracks or on leave.

Getting a CHILDRENS book published while still in office just shows you his character and his character being is he can't communicate with the voting adult population so he's got to communicate with kids.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time acknowledging his actions. He's never had any credibility with me.

edit on 14/9/10 by Intelearthling because: corrections

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Wow. I am no fan of Obama's ... but are you actually complaining about a CHILDREN'S BOOK? Seriously? That's just sad. You have plenty of other material to choose from ... and you choose ... a children's book?

Why not focus on the REAL issues at hand?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

It has little to do with the "book". This country is in dire condition. We have soldiers dying daily, the economy in shambles and a foreign policy that is at best adrift.

The President needs to demonstrate that he is fully aware of the situation and that he has some empathy for the people he leads. The soldier getting called away from his family for the third time to go to some hell hole and some folks who are blowing out their retirement accounts to feed their kids. In case you have not noticed, 60% of the people in the country don't approve of the job he is doing. They don't approve because they don't think he is actually doing anything but sucking up the massive benefits of his office and making a bunch of stump speaches.

Comming out with a book at the present time underscores that he is disconnected with the circumstances that millions of Americans find themselves. That is why the book is a problem. The book further makes people feel disenfranchised from their leaders and that is never a good thing.

No, I don't think that he should be spending a minute on this tripe. As for you, if you were going to lose your job for poor performance and spent 4 hours writing up a story instead of spending the time figuring out how to not be fired, shame on you.

Many people deride and disparage Nixon. Some of that is for good reason. Nixon actually had doctors work with him to see how little sleep he could get by on. Why? Because he felt that the President should spend every minute he could leading the nation and doing the job of President. Is that a healthy perspective? No. Is fooling around on vacations, golf outings with sports stars and tossing partys with aged rock stars a good perspective when close to 10% of the folks in the country are unemployed and can't afford to take their kids to the movies a good perspective? No. I'll take Nixon's perspective over Obama's. This gent is simply not serious.

Its not like this gent does not spend any time with his family. He's been on vacation the entire summer and tosses a party twice a week. He also has dinner with his family just about every night (a good thing).

new topics

top topics

join