It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military's new motorised skateboard... Yes really

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It looks like the cross between a small tank, a Segway and a skateboard.

But this odd-looking contraption is being touted as the next must-have vehicle for U.S. soldiers in warzones.

The DTV Shredder can handle any kind of terrain at high speed and its low centre of gravity ‘makes it ideal for reconnaissance, rescue/recovery, mobile surveillance, and medical evacuation operations’, it is claimed.

I want one!

That doesn't mean I think it's a good idea for the military though.

I think you get the idea with the videos. However what the videos don't show is the upgraded version.

According to the manufacturer the DTV is customisable and its configuration can be adapted depending on how it being used. There is also an option for equipping it with machine-guns and other weapons to turn it into a formidable attack vehicle.

I want one.

The tech has only been proposed for military use so far, and I think at this point it is unclear whether they will be purchased on any significant level by the US military, but I'm sure the thought has crossed their minds.

Pretty cool if nothing else I think you'll agree.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.thetruthseeker.co.uk...

edit on 14-9-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: To correct grammar in the ole title.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

The military has such cool toys,That would be a blast to ride!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
A dirt motorcycle will out perform that piece of junk any day.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This thing looks cool as hell. But like one poster said, I'd take a YZ450F (dirt bike) over it any day of the week.

Gotta give props to the video's author for using Pendulum for the music!

edit: That thing sure is loud. I wonder what type of power plant it's using? Sounds like a 2-stroke engine.

edit on 14-9-2010 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Oh man, I could so get hurt with one of those......they need to sell me one. Those things are cool as hell, I can see them having a good selling point in the civilian wworld just for camping etc........

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Cool indeed, I want one too.

Too loud though for recon. Maybe an electric version?
It has excellent traction for a lot of terrain.
I wonder about the mud in a down pore or the Afghanistan sand..

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Its like a seguay on steroids

nice find

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I wonder of they'll ever make a model for seniors.

I'd like to have one to use in lieu of muh skooter.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
When the SHTF this is what ya want to use for transportation. Hook up one of the trailers it showed and you can just about go anywhere...notice, I said, "just about". I'm sure that there are some shortcomings...but in the whole picture, looks like it would be quite useful...

~holly

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
wow thats awesome.kinda scary in some ways.

is that even practical for military use?

edit on 15-9-2010 by IDKWTB because: messed up spellling, added some stuff.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

EXTREME military! Watch as USA ollie 360's IRAQ who counter attacks with a indy kickflip just as FRANCE 50-50 grinds it's way into the center of the action!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Thanks for the great replies!

I was trying to find someone selling them last night so I could post it up, but alas nowhere appears to be! Plenty of other news outlets carrying the story though. If I find a seller I'll make sure to post it!

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
eleven years of running every damn day, and all that marching in basic and tech school, and now they have these things?

maybe the chAir Force has a reason to get up from those desks now?

it almost makes war look fun, doesn't it?

peace,
et

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I can certainly see some merit in a vehicle like this. Flexible, light, agile, portable and fast. The remote option is a bonus! Range is certainly limited by fuel capacity but I liked the idea of it being able to tow a litter. I'd like to see it tricked out with a Mk 19

It will probably end up with more use in the civilian market though.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Looks pretty convenient. Unfortunately I can run faster than it on more rugged terrain while gaining a significant amount of adrenaline in my system to make me feel like I'm actually doing something with purpose.

new topics

top topics

join