It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High fructose corn syrup seeks sweeter, more positive name name: corn sugar

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowfoot
lets look at the socio economic factors: they quash the entire cane and beet industry for sugar source material, continuing to leave some countries like Jamaica without a centuries long held source for exports, and Oregon for use of the sugar beet.

Yeah, you're so right. We SHOULD definitely use less efficient sources of sugar. After all, don't we owe it to Jamaica?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamCorrect
Not directly. But it demonstrates the fallacy of the notion that some have that all sugars have the same degree of deleterious effects, or that the disaccharide sucrose (table sugar) is just as bad for you as fructose or glucose independently because it is composed of glucose and sucrose.

HFCS is not roughly equivalent to sucrose as if often contended, because it is not in disaccharide form, and the two component monosaccharides are not fused together by a glycosidic bond. Moreover, the ratio of fructose to glucose is increased.

The process of hydrolysis breaks down sucrose into it's respective sugars quite easily. I very readily admitted that HFCS and sucrose are very different in structure and composition; however, in amounts consumed by most individuals, they are metabolically indistinguishable .....as is demonstrated by most clinical studies.

Now, once a legitimate study shows anything different, I'll pay attention....IF the results are reproducible. And if that's the case, I'll gladly admit that High Fructose Corn Syrup's metabolic effects are more deleterious than equivalent amounts of sucrose because there are other, non-metabolic problems with HFCS that are just....well, no bueno.

And I also don't understand your question about naming a product on the market containing only fructose. The rodents in this study didn't consume only fructose. They consumed extra fructose through supplementation in their water. They still had chow with a high percentage of complex carbohydrates.

Just curious.

BTW, what was that about conceding? I'm not gunna just sit back and say, "Oh, you're right, guys." when there is a fundamental mistake being made.

edit on 15-9-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd because: I forgot to bring a towel

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Was just at the store. Only about 3 items in entire gas station were clean. Sad.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I've seen these new TV commercails that are out and took the extra step of recording them on my DVR. Here is the thing. The Law will not allow these companies to lie to you directly. I have broken them down for analysis. I will give you 5 reasons why High fructose Corn syrup is garbage.

1.You will notice that the unaware parent is standing in a corn field with his child.
(this is done to give you the illusion of the product being "natural/organic/from the earth/good for you) get it?
Why don't the Corn processors show the consumer how the HFCS is made? hmmmm I guess watching a chemical process wouldn't seem so natural.

2. You will notice that they use the word "corn sugar' This makes me laugh. No food label says corn sugar. No soda says corn sugar on the label. Go check I'll wait..... Of course the sugar from a piece of corn is not dangerous or bad for you. Corn is okay to eat in moderation, just like peas, green beans, and squash. Eat those veggies.

3. the guy in the add say he "asked" medical professionals about HFCS....I would say okay fine "you feed your family that stuff and only that stuff as sweetners since it is the same as sugar, lol" (Again they try to twist the wording around again by calling HFCS corn sugar..Bait and switch.)

4. The the guy in the add trys to convince you that since he is feeding his child garbage(HFCS) that you should do the same, because some "nutritionist" thinks its okay. This is absurd. This is like telling a person that rat poison is okay to eat in moderation, lol (In my book poison is NEVER okay to eat.)

5. I've been around long enough to know when I am being lied to. I'm 34 years old and I work I healthcare. I also study health related topics and do my own research. Avoid HFCS, artificial sweetners, and excess sugar in general. We already have enough disease going around. No need to contribute to it. I would simply reduce sugary snacks(of all kinds)

P.S. If you have a sweet tooth I have several companies that I recommend for a better alternative than the dreaded High Fructose Corn Syrup. There are many, many products out there and I have taken the liberty of discovering them and compiling a list to folks.(of which I have been doing for years now) If interested just send me a private message.

P.P.S. To make the transition from eating garbage more smooth I would start by replacing any HFCS ingredient with Organic Cane Sugar from the healthfood store of you choice. Then try drinking sodas that have sugar, not HFCS... From there you can reduce you sugar intake even further.

Till next time

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Once the soda in my fridge runs out, I'll see if I can cut back on it. I only drink soda made with beet or cane sugar but I'm starting to think that perhaps it's time to cut back a little. It was the novelty of being able to actually enjoy soda again that had me going for a while.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Also, I mentioned this before, you're citing ONE study showing results in rats when there are multiple studies showing the opposite in humans....

I am citing this one study plus the fact that ever since HFCS replaced sugar in food products in America back in the 1970's we have been getting fatter and fatter. I think that also provides pretty good evidence that the stuff is bad for us. Yes I agree all sugars are not healthy but HFCS is worse than table sugar.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

The Irony is that while high fructose syrup is not the same as regular sugar is still the problem of Americas high processed food diet and carbs that the body will turn into sugars and fats.

If you look at the statistics since the introduction of sugar free sodas they have not change much when it comes to the increasing obesity in the US, meaning that even sugar free sodas are making America fat.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Sucrose and fructose are processed differently by the liver. BUMP there basically the same 99 percent refined simple carbs only diffrence really is that the body processes them diffrently and that the lab rats had diffrent genetic make up and it didnt sound very controlled there was no measurements of dosage sounds like the rats had a bowl of water and just dinked it when ever

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimnal

This was a controlled experiment. The rats were given equal caloric amounts of HCFS and table sugar. They didn't just drink the water whenever. The rats that ingested HFCS became overweight, every one of them.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

I am citing this one study plus the fact that ever since HFCS replaced sugar in food products in America back in the 1970's we have been getting fatter and fatter. I think that also provides pretty good evidence that the stuff is bad for us. Yes I agree all sugars are not healthy but HFCS is worse than table sugar.

There's no doubt that it's worse (mercury, etc.)

Yeah, since the 70's we've been getting fatter and fatter, but we've been getting fatter and fatter long before the 70's. It's also worth noting that the obesity "epidemic" is grossly over-estimated.

Saying HFCS is worse than table sugar is like saying a head-on collision at 70mph is worse than one at 50mph. I'd rather not have an accident at all....

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Don't try to argue science with some people because they'll use their anti-intellectual voodoo on you. I can't name the many instances where I've seem people try to debunk scientific experiments using Penn and Teller's "Bull#".

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

Don't try to argue science with some people because they'll use their anti-intellectual voodoo on you. I can't name the many instances where I've seem people try to debunk scientific experiments using Penn and Teller's "Bull#".

Don't confuse arguing science with cherry picking studies.

One might also consider reading the full-text of a study before posting the conclusions.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here's another article on High Fructose Corn Syrup:

High-Fructose Corn Syrup Getting Rebranded as Corn Sugar
www.livescience.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I just watched a commercial advertising "corn sugar". It was a guy walking with his daughter through a corn field and he says, "cane sugar... corn sugar... it's both sugar, your body can't tell the difference. I feel ok about giving it to her."

Really?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by casijones

I saw the commercial too, that is why I looked for this thread, so sad that Americans hook on sugar water and processed foods (that mostly have high fructose "solids" in it) will fall for it, but they can not fool most ATS members here, we have done our research and we know what is going on with corn syrup, after all they have a multi billion dollar of processed corn syrup to defend and just like big pharma and their killer remedies they will kill anybody for profits and the law protect them.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I see my thread has been revived. I also have been seeing the TV ads lately and just shake my head in disgust.
The sad thing is that many Americans will fall for it because "if they said it on TV then it must be true".

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I am very, very saddened today. I just found out some news that has me wondering about this practice with HFCS.

I buy honey from a local beekeeper and have for several years. He used to come around selling from time to time and I'd buy up a few and give some away as gifts. It was a great way to support a local businessman and get some of the best honey I've ever tasted. Now I may know why!

It has been a while since I purchased some from him and honestly (since he hadn't come around in while) I had forgotten his name. I did a quick search knowing he used to have a website and although I didn't find it, I did find a mention of his name and apiary. I opened the page and scanned down seeing his name in the article. It was the minutes of meetings with all the local beekeepers, monthly or quarterly meetings I assumed. What bothered me was toward the bottom of the page was 2 of the members (my guy included) who were placing an ad for others who wanted to buy HFCS. I thought "what tha..." Reading on, the 2 members say that they purchase 55% food grade HFCS and have it shipped in warmed steel containers and transfer it to their warmed containers until you can come with your own containers and gather it. It goes on to encourage other beekeepers to buy this as a food source for their bees because this way, the bees don't have to convert it to sugar. WHAT!? This is crazy! It then says to buy some because it is CHEAP at only $.26/lb. He then adds "try it , you won't ever go back to sugar".

Again, I was saddened to be reading this coming from the person I had been buying mine from. Now I know why it tasted so sweet and good.

So..I am wondering is this a common practice among the apiary community? Bees convert it to honey/sugar because that is what they do naturally and to feed them HFCS is just insane. Time to find another source but I'll investigate this time. Now I'm wondering could this somehow be linked to the decline in bees if indeed this is a common practice.
edit on 23-12-2010 by dreampsi because: edit

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join