It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High fructose corn syrup seeks sweeter, more positive name name: corn sugar

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

I don't really think so.

Why defend the use of HFCS though?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

They could call it Unicorn Sugar or Rainbow Sugar and I wouldn't touch it.

It's time to end corn subsidies and therefore, quit propping up the HFCS industry in this country. Bring back actual sugar!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Like I said, sucrose breaks down into fructose and glucose. So....I think you may be a lil confused.

I stand corrected.

Yes, I was using sucrose where I should have said glucose so I was a bit confused. I can't find the video I got this info from.
The statements I made are based on a 2 hour lecture from a gentleman who has studied this for years and his results are stated with long multisabyllic scientific prose that gives me cramps.

Yeah, I know the video..I've seen it too.

Your other point about glucose/fructose ratio in HFCS is correcdt but I was talking about the difference in ratio between sucrose and HFCS.

Gotcha. But there really isn't a big difference, until you're consuming massive amounts. The rats in the study referenced in the op were fed extremely large amounts of HFCS and Sucrose per day extending the difference in fructose with each gram.

Anyway. HFCS versus sucrose.......
It does come down to the liver and the resulting chemistry.

The HFCS glucose/fructose combination along with methods of delivery (drinks with no fiber to slow down uptake) and the way the body and specifically the liver react to it are the core problem.

That makes sense when you're talking about HFCS vs. fruits/vegetables. However, according to biochemists and the studies I referenced in my first post, HFCS and Sucrose are metabolically nearly identical and exhibit nearly identical responses by the metabolism.

The argument put forth by HFCS advocates that it is identical to cane sugar are only plausibly valid until the point of ingestion.

Then please explain the multiple studies that address this very issue demonstrating the exact opposite....in humans.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating the consumption of HFCS. I, myself, don't drink sodas because of HFCS, but I certainly wouldn't begin drinking them if they contained Sucrose instead.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I'm not defending it. Not really sure where you got that from. I'm simply correcting a mistake made by the OP and many others. I would love nothing more than to see HFCS disappear from the face of the planet.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

There usually is a noticeable taste difference in products that use cane sugar or even beet sugar. There's less of a chemical taste and in some sodas, more of a crispness.

Still, they're empty calories and best confined to moderation (much like alcohol!) since too much will obviously cause health problems.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

It has nothing to do with emptiness and everything to do with metabolic response. And in the case of glucose/fructose, it's no bueno.

edit on 14-9-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

You can buy soda with real sugar but again, it's best in moderation or not at all.

Some energy drinks are sweetened with what's called "Sucrose/Glucose Syrup" to that extent. I've heard that this is another name for HFCS. Feel free to clear it up.

I don't think you're a shill for HFCS. I welcome a dissemination of the facts and myths, even though I try to avoid HFCS at every turn.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

As I said before, I don't advocate consuming ANY added sweeteners that have a metabolic response similar to that of sugar.

edit on 14-9-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating the consumption of HFCS. I, myself, don't drink sodas because of HFCS, but I certainly wouldn't begin drinking them if they contained Sucrose instead.

No conflict here. We're both looking at the problem given the information we have to work with.

That's part of the real issue with HFCS and other products like it.

We can look at recent history and see the results since the introduction of them onto the marketplace.

We know they are dangerous simply by looking at the big picture but there is so much conflicting information that it's hard to discuss it normally.

On a site like this there are many people that have a hard time conceding a point to another poster even if it is clearly warranted. I try to give credit where it is due especially if I've learned something new in the exchange.

I can say I avoid HFCS as much as possible and am healthier for doing so.

I wish we could have our choice of foods without hfcs and just pay the extra for the use of cane sugar. The results would soon be clearer.

edit on 14-9-2010 by badgerprints because: for the fun of it baby!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Different name same poison, just like what the did to Aspertame aka Nutrisweet, I think the idea behind the name change is to fool some of the people some of the time, but they can not fool all of the people all of the time scenerio. I Do not do soda, and a big fan of cereal, especially the ones with a high iron content so I can pull it out with a magnet, but it is hard to avoid HFCS. I will stick to sugar..

edit on 14-9-2010 by MyStrawMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
cornsyrup and aspartame are good brain primers for programming.

You know how they inject you with dye before they hit ya with a medical imaging device so they can see better?
Somewhat similar.

I'll have a Whopper with cheese, large fry, and a diet coke please.
No ...make that a regular coke please.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Soon instead of calling the cigarette anything but a cancer stick, they will rename it,.
tobacco love or menthol joy,,
I believe they have already renamed Nutrasweet and are calling it a natural sugar or something.
Sugar keeps us stupid

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I'm not defending it. Not really sure where you got that from. I'm simply correcting a mistake made by the OP and many others. I would love nothing more than to see HFCS disappear from the face of the planet.

What mistake did I (the OP) make? You keep stating there is no difference between consuming sucrose vs. HFCS but the Princeton study shows otherwise. There was no difference in the caloric intake between the rats that ingested HFCS and the rats that ingested sucrose. In every single case the rat given the HFCS gained excessive weight. How can you explain that if there is no difference?

A Princeton University research team has demonstrated that all sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. The researchers say the work sheds light on the factors contributing to obesity trends in the United States.

"Some people have claimed that high-fructose corn syrup is no different than other sweeteners when it comes to weight gain and obesity, but our results make it clear that this just isn't true, at least under the conditions of our tests," said psychology professor Bart Hoebel, who specializes in the neuroscience of appetite, weight and sugar addiction. "When rats are drinking high-fructose corn syrup at levels well below those in soda pop, they're becoming obese -- every single one, across the board. Even when rats are fed a high-fat diet, you don't see this; they don't all gain extra weight."

www.princeton.edu...

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I remember watching a video on youtube about the dangers of hfcs. I remember I typed in: the truth about sugar and the search brought up a video called: Sugar, the bitter truth. I think it was an hour maybe a little longer but very informative. Made me stop eating hfcs as much as possible.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
ok lets pretend for a second that there is no difference on how the body digests hfcs vs.cane sugar what about the mercury in it?!?!!

www.washingtonpost.com...

Several chemicals are required to make HFCS, including caustic soda, hydrochloric acid, alpha-amylase, gluco-amylase, isomerase, ilter aid, powdered carbon, calcium chloride, and magnesium sulfate.

Caustic soda and hydrochloric acid are made through the same processes that produce chlorine. It can be done in one of two ways. The first involves pumping saltwater through a vat of mercury. The stuff produced this way is known as "mercury grade."

if they need all these chemicals to turn something as simple a corn into a cheap sweetener.... i'll pass, thanks.

slightly off topic but related (sorry, the topic of food additives is something im a fanatic about) earlier in the thread we were talking about "new names" given to the poison they put in our food i wanted to let people know that if you avoid "hydrogenated oils," the new name is now, "mono and diglycerides"

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
sorry off topic i know but,

i had to step in and laugh because i just pictured devo working out in a corn field

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
my thing with HFCS is its from genetically modified corn. thats just weird man.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
August 2010 - University of California Los Angeles Study:

Pancreatic tumor cells use fructose to divide and proliferate, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a study that challenges the common wisdom that all sugars are the same. Tumor cells fed both glucose and fructose used the two sugars in two different ways, the team at the University of California Los Angeles found. They said their finding, published in the journal Cancer Research, may help explain other studies that have linked fructose intake with pancreatic cancer, one of the deadliest cancer types.

Link Here

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

I will tell you about my own experiment. I had a baby almost a year ago and I have always been pretty thin but I was having trouble losing the last 10 lbs. I decided to quit drinking pop and the weight fell off. It was easy.

QUIT DRINKING POP=LOSE A LOT OF WEIGHT

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
@ erasurehead

Sorry, didn't meant to reply to you. I hit the wrong reply button.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join