It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's targeted in US health ad

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

McDonald's targeted in US health ad

www.guardian.co.uk

Unhappy meals: American doctors' TV ad features a corpse holding a hamburger and the line 'I was lovin' it'. McDonald's, which has thrived in the recession, isn't laughing
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
A shot at the fast food giant Mc Donald's by some (concerned?) doctors,.

Cant really tell there is another agenda behind the advertisement, wich basicly sais Mc Donald's will kill you.

I wont embedd the video at this moment as i am not certain whether it contains a real corspe(article quotes that it was filmed in a mortuary) and may distress some.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-9-2010 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I see no problem with this. There are PLENTY of commercials and advertisements for fast food, there should be a balance. However, having said that - I seriously doubt that targeted advertising will affect McD's much. Those who go to a joint like this, would go regardless of health, so why would a few ads and commercials change that?

ETA: with regards to the "go vegetarian" message: I do think that is unnecessary. There are tons of ways to eat meat and fish in a healthy and responsible way.

edit on 14-9-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Unfortunately fast food and namely McDonalds, is the current issue, to try and equate such as bad as smoking. There is a problem with people who are overweight, however, what the federal government and other groups have failed to realize,is that you can not regulate personal behavior. McDonalds, built its business on having a clean reasteraunt, fast hot food that was tasty and good customer service. And this is going to ultimately cause the corperate people at the head of McDonalds take this non profit group to court, as it is bias.
There are several things that many who are complaining about the overweight people and targeting fast food tend to forget: 1) No one forced anyone to eat that burger or go to that store, it was personal choice, as it should be. What we eat and desire to eat, is and has always been a matter of personal choice and discretion. 2) If you ban something, then the more people are going to want it and then start to travel to get to such. 3) Food ain't cheap. There is no cheap food from the grocery store, and businesses like McDonalds, provide a meal that is inexpensive. 4) Not a whole lot of people cook any more, rather they opt for what is quick and easy.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well I think we all have known for a long time that McDonalds (as well as all other fast food) is horrible for you.

Unfortunately I just love meat too much to stop eating it, but most of my meat intake is really lean as my beef is range fed from the family ranch (actually have to oil the pan to brown hamburger as there is almost no fat). I've noticed a significant difference in my overall health after I started eating much leaner meat and actually lost weight even though the volume of my meat intake stayed the same. (I'm a steak and veggies kind of guy)

Personally I do not think it is the fact that we eat meat that is the problem. I think it is the quality of the meat we consume.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I actually find it kind of amusing; in a grisly sort of way. And as a fast food junkie and person who loves to eat in general, I think I may take their message to heart.
That message is...Doctors don't know when you're going to die or how, so you might as well enjoy those burgers while you can. P.S. "Tonight make it vegetarian" but you're still going to die.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Jesus Christ, these guys never stop.

Millitant vegetarians are at it again. Baseless, ridiculous claims are consistently made by this group of doctors....

The Physicians Committee for Resonsible Medicine (PCRM) is the group of doctors and researchers responsible for this outlandish commercial.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is a non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C. which promotes a strictly vegetarian diet, preventive medicine, the cessation of animal research, and encourages higher standards of ethics and effectiveness in research. It was founded in 1985 by psychiatrist Neal D. Barnard of Georgetown University School of Medicine.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has donated more than $1.3m to PCRM.[20] It is understood, however, that PCRM supports a vegan diet for its health benefits and PCRM is in no way affiliated with any animal rights organizations.

This group has close affiliations with PETA and other animal activist groups (some considered terrorist groups). Among those on the board of directors is T. Colin Campbell, the fraud who misleadingly told people, through his popular science book The China Study, that the China Project was clear evidence of meat products causing cancer, heart disease and other chronic illnesses, when, in fact, it was just the opposite.

They're nothing more than an advocacy group pushing their ideologies instead of pushing real, unbiased science.....move along.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I stopped eating at McDonald's for 3 years and lost 15 pounds. I did nothing else to diet. Now I have gained back 10 pounds because I started eating there again.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

ahh they are vegetablists(as am i) thought there was something odd about this.
you can eat meat and be healthy, there is no need to resort to this kind of psyops to try and convert people to vegetarianism

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The other day I purchased:

1 head of leaf lettuce
1 bunch of radishes
1 tomato
1 cucumber
1 sweet pepper

That cost me more than a big mac deal. Sure I could get more than 1 meal from the salad combination but the point, and its no surprise to anyone, is that eating good will cost you. Ultimately it is a choice, the obesity problem in the US is a combination of poor parenting, ease of access to junk food and a lack of nutritional guidance. If people want to eat at mcdonalds let them, its not my body and not my problem. I just wish the cost of eating healthier had more of an incentive money wise.

brill

edit on 14-9-2010 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I always thought a great commercial for McDonalds would be a guy in a recliner who is so fat he cannot get out of it watching TV. Meanwhile a clown sits on his chest forcing greasy burgers down his throat as the man's wife stands by eyeing the clowns size twenty shoes with approval.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

I gave you a star just for the cat in your avatar. I have one just like it. He is not a vegetarian either.

edit on 9-14-2010 by groingrinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well its a bit harsh on McDonalds I think. At the end of the day its never going to be the place to go to if you want to eat healthily. Plus they're menu has become much better in recent years anyway.

And of course it isnt going to kill you. Whats going to kill you is not realising that you should have everything in moderation. If you're putting weight on then the answers simple - eat less junk food and do more exercise.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

You're right, but if people had the common sense to realise this themselves then there wouldn't be a problem. A far better option is to ram it down people's throats like so much mechanically recovered meat-esque substance.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

I just dont think shock tactics are the way the go with this, nor victimizing a particular brand who do in many ways try to encourage healthy eating, and much more so than some other fast food chains.
Plus, Im pretty sure those lacking in common sense wouldnt believe that McDonalds can kill you either.. well, not unless its all you eat and all you intend to eat for the forseeable future.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I though it was funny as hades lololol.
by the way did any one else notice the dead guy had a smile on his face?
Now see don't we all want to die with a smile? lolololol .
eating Mc wont kill you lol only over eating anything will and excersise daly

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This ad will be pulled within the week, if not already. Nobody messes with the Golden Arches in this country, ever... there is too much money behind good ol' Ronald McDonald and his food, irregardless of any ethical, obesity, CAFO, or any other issue involved. Period. Then they will sue.
That is the history. Even people (surnamed McDonald) who have tried to use the word "McDonald" for personal fundraising have been legally blocked by this Corporation. A nasty, "unfounded" ad? These folks are toast. The "Cheeseburger" Bill makes it all ok if people are fat and certainly not their fault.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle
reply to post by Soshh

I just dont think shock tactics are the way the go with this, nor victimizing a particular brand who do in many ways try to encourage healthy eating, and much more so than some other fast food chains.

Most people are impressionable morons and shock tactics work on impressionable morons. I don't think that going all out on McDonalds alone is a good option either but it's a good place to start at least. Despite selling salads and other supposedly healthy options McDonalds is still the symbol for fast food culture and that is what they are trying to attack, not so much McDonalds itself.

Plus, Im pretty sure those lacking in common sense wouldnt believe that McDonalds can kill you either.. well, not unless its all you eat and all you intend to eat for the forseeable future.

I wouldn't be so sure!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
To me the ad is a bit humorous. Yes, I know I have a dark humor about me.

I have a problem with them singling out one company above the others though. I am not one to go about eating fast food all the time maybe once a week or every two weeks. When I do eat something like that, I chose Arby’s or Subway. I do not like McDonalds and the last time I had Hardees the crap was so greasy I had to throw it away it tasted terrible and was making me sick.

Still the ad is a bit humorous. Oh and OP that is not a real corpse in the ad no need to worry about linking it up.

I love meat and vegetables, sorry vegheads you can put all the stuff like this out you want I am not giving up my meats.

Raist

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think it is a lame commercial, and if I were McDonald's I would sue for using the M, really it is a legal question.

And it is lame because the lady was a poor actress and no one sits in the morgue like that with a nasty half eaten burger in their hand.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join