It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb alert: AFP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb alert: AFP

news.yahoo.com

– 5 mins ago

Police evacuated the Eiffel Tower and the park surrounding the Paris landmark Tuesday after a bomb alert, an AFP journalist said.

A police officer said about 25,000 people were in the area at the time of the alert but added that they left calmly shortly before 9:00 pm (1900 GMT).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

The officer, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the alert was sounded either after a threat was phoned in or following the discovery of a suspicious package.

The people evacuated, mostly French and foreign tourists, were asked to stay on the nearby Seine river banks, and the tower area and Champ de Mars park were declared off limits.

Wow..i think its been a long time since they made a bomb evacuation there
the last evacuation was :

22 July 2003
At 19:20, a fire occurred at the top of the tower in the broadcasting equipment room. The entire tower was evacuated; the fire was extinguished after 40 minutes, and there were no reports of injuries.

Eiffel Tower Wikipedia

Imagine if a well positionned bomb strike one of the legs
thousand of metal tuns will fall done shacking the ground in a 100 km radius
the news just release moment ago ..i will follow the updates on this

its always a 50/50 chances of something happening on not..we cant underestimate that breaking news
if the effel tower is attack ... France will go to war with somebody.. thats for sure
President Sarkozy doesnt seem to have a good temper

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9/14/2010 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
How do 25,000 people evacuate calmly? All of the MSM is reporting the same thing.

Anyway, I hope this is either fake, or the bomb dogs find it before anything bad happens.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
On CNN, they said the French police are calling this a "routine" evacuation and search for a bomb.
To me, though, it doesn't seem routine otherwise it wouldn't have even warranted comment by the press.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Another thought I just had...is this bomb threat because of the French Senate passing the Muslim women veil ban?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
the rarety of this event..is NOT routine
i have heard it on CNN (Tv) and i was

its the Statue of Liberty of France
how do you think President Sarkozy will react if the Effeil tower is attacked

hes gonna say loudly
NOUS ALLONS EN GUERRE EN AVANT MARCHE

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Latest from the BBC:

A police cordon has been set up around the tower, and about 1,000 people still in the area have been moved to the pavement on the banks of the nearby River Seine, according to French TV channel TF1.

The alarm was raised after an anonymous call to the company which runs the tower, the channel added, citing police.

The French government increased security at certain sites between 2 August and 15 September, partly due to threats from al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, the report said.

Police with sniffer dogs are carrying out a search of the area, French media reported.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Well, I hope it is a false alarm / prank. Wouldn't want anyone actually injured or killed there.

Alas, though, the is the first thing I thought of: Team America: World Police - Eiffel Tower

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Wasn't there something in the media today about the French banning Muslim headscarfs?
Yep I was right heres the story.
www.foxnews.com...

edit on 14-9-2010 by jaynkeel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
Well, I hope it is a false alarm / prank. Wouldn't want anyone actually injured or killed there.

Alas, though, the is the first thing I thought of: Team America: World Police - Eiffel Tower

Pranking the Eiffel Tower ... ?? lol

they will get severy punished
but if somebody wanted to attack France ...they would want to blow up the France embleme

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

I thought of that too. Also France has been getting criticized for making 8000 Roma leave the country.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
On the news so must be true.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think it will turn out to be a prank, all be it a bad one.

But does anyone have any info on this:

The French government increased security at certain sites between 2 August and 15 September, in part because of threats from al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, French TV channel TF1 reported

This was said on the BBC website.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Peace.
ALS

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think this is a prank too. If someone wanted to bomb the Eiffel Tower they wouldn't tell them beforehand.
It's not like they'd be "Death to the West, Death to infidels, praise Allah. Oh and by the way we are going to bomb the Eiffel Tower, but we're letting you know so you can prevent it."

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Keep an eye on the tower with this web cam www.paris-live.com...

two viesw on this one www.paris-live.com...

edit on 14-9-2010 by tarifa37 because: too add more info

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Superman 2 movie plot. Terrorists sneak a nuclear bomb to the top of the Eiffel Tower. Of course Superman saves the day.
en.wikipedia.org...

Just sayin'...

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Wow .. you guys were right about the fact that the France government just voted today a new law banning the burka for arab womens

so this prank/bomb was obvioulsy related to that new law
i have heard the tension in France have increased vs Alqueada radical extremist people recently..
especially the fight against having these kind of laws

personaly i dont agree with the burka myself .. covering a woman like that... is awfull
but its their rights.. if they want to wear it because of a religion its their rights
only in voting center when the officials need to see the face should be allowed
i think it would be better for everyone like that

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
Keep an eye on the tower with this web cam www.paris-live.com...

its night

thanks for the link ..i love the view

edit on 9/14/2010 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I'm getting this from the cam at the moment.

Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999.

Peace.
ALS

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

I am using this one www.earthcam.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join