It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artist rescues statues from closed Catholic churches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Artist rescues statues from closed Catholic churches

www.cantonrep.com

Lou McClung of Lakewood is opening a museum to house statues he rescued from closed Catholic churches and monasteries. The Museum of Divine Statues will be housed in a former church. McClung said restoring the pieces not only helps preserve history, they’re inspirational works of art.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I think it's great that some people know and understand how much these works of art mean to catholics, and this is one man who is doing a monumental task of love.

I hope that other artists and catholics can find these beautiful pieces of art that was truly inspired by God,
and rescue them before they are all gone.

www.cantonrep.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
did he buy them, or steal them? how much he going to charge at his museum? good for him, but if he stole em hes selfish and greedy.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
As a fellow Artist I think its a great idea because if you take them out of there normal environment "ie a Church" an give them an other setting it makes the observer look at them in a whole new way an hence appreciate the Art form for what it is,,I like it!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starbug3MY

I think it's great that some people know and understand how much these works of art mean to catholics, and this is one man who is doing a monumental task of love.

I hope that other artists and catholics can find these beautiful pieces of art that was truly inspired by God,
and rescue them before they are all gone.

www.cantonrep.com

Why didn't the Catholic church see the inspirational value of these works of art? They just abandoned them for someone else to rescue. You would think with the incredible wealth of the church they would have made some kind of provision to at least warehouse this art.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This is great.
I'm glad to see art preserved, as should relics of the past in general.
I'm a big booster of saving history for future generations.
Good find, very worthwhile.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Where did all the statues go.
The poor church goers have to become overly rich off the back of the downtrodden
to afford a big home and purchase the statues they once saw in churches before
being renovated by some agenda.
There might be a craftsman issue though.
I came across this issue on the supposed death mask of Shakespeare renovated
by computer.
Something to do with the original mask process not being available in England at that time.
Provenance ignored perhaps.

edit on 9/14/2010 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

top topics

join