It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roman Face mask found in Cumbria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Using a metal detector someone has found a bronze Roman face mask in a field in Cumbria. This is such an exciting find, I can't imagine how one would feel after digging it up.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

In its original condition the face would be white and the helmet and curls bronze coloured. I was watching the television series 'Spartacus - Blood and Sand' recently and greatly admired the female masks they had made for the show. This genuine article is a real treasure.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/898ed64eb3b3.jpg[/atsimg]

The mask is thought to have been worn with an elaborately painted shield, embroidered tunic, thigh-guards and greaves.
The helmet is one of only three of its kind discovered in Britain since records began 250 years ago.
The only other two helmets that have been discovered complete with face-masks are the Ribchester Helmet, found in 1796 and now in the British Museum, and the Newstead Helmet, found some time around 1905 and now at the Museum of Antiquities in Edinburgh.

Related article:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

edit on 14-9-2010 by berenike because: Edit to add picture, text and new link

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Here is an article about the Roman fort at Newstead, and the mask found there in about 1905, as mentioned in the Daily Mail article above:

www.scran.ac.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ad1aed98c16.jpg[/atsimg]

Not in such great condition, but still very beautiful. This one was made of iron.

Here is an article about the face mask found in Ribchester in 1796, also mentioned by the Daily Mail:

www.ribchesterpc.co.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3a0b7d87f590.gif[/atsimg]

The helmet itself is an extremely refined piece of work. The mask depicts a youthful but stylised face with curls of hair that end in snakes’ heads. The helmet is decorated with scenes of combat. Originally it is highly likely that helmet was gilded and the mask silver-plated. This type of helmet was worn during displays of military horsemanship. Some Roman cavalry sports may have resembled medieval jousting.

Here is a British Museum article about the Ribchester helmet and a better picture:

www.britishmuseum.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/96597ad31eff.jpg[/atsimg]

Seeing the condition of these two, it makes the new find even more amazing.

edit on 14-9-2010 by berenike because: Edit to add pictures, more links and text

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Its amzing what is still in the ground in the UK. As to how I would feel pretty pissed off as any treasure in the ground in the UK over 300 years old belongs to the crown and is treasure trove.

Sure they will decide how much cash you will get for finding it but man it gets me wound up that the crown feels they have an automatic right to any treausre in the ground that is older than 300 years.

Slightly off topic have a look at the mines royal act. The crown also owns any and gold and silver in the ground.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
WOW! These masks are amazing - what did they use them for?

Was it plays, operas, or disguise? Or for fun?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I studied Latin at University and I never heard anything about masks.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

These particular masks appear to have been used for "parade or ceremonial purposes" and may have had streamers attached to them.

There are some Roman gladiators masks pictured at this site and they are far less ornate:

www.sheshen-eceni.co.uk...

Murmillo Roman Gladiator's helmet - 1st century AD:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47058a52c24c.jpg[/atsimg]

Besides the Roman helmets there is a nice selection of helmet from other ancient cultures and a couple of interesting stone masks.

edit on 14-9-2010 by berenike because: Edit to add link and picture

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Thanks, bere.

These masks are pretty spooky.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

I was thinking that some of these masks look like ones you'd go into battle with. Having a face mask makes you look incredibly scary as well as protecting the face from cuts and whatnot.

Some of them do look purely ceremonial though.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBloodRed

I agree.

If I met any of these masks I would run screaming.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Yeah, you cannot see their face to judge their movements and emotions so it is quite a good tactic to wear a face mask in the first place. Though I imagine they would be quite expensive and only the wealthy leadership or whatnot may be able to afford custom face masks.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Here is a great site for masks and helmets:
www.romancoins.info...

Scary and beautiful - a remarkable combination

edit on 14-9-2010 by berenike because: Edit to take out picture - it was far too big

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

And the glads - so their faces would not be wrecked before they had the thumbs up or down.

The Roman civilisation was totally brutal, which I believe is why Rome fell.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

This is a conspiracy site so don't get me started on reasons for the collapse!!

@berenike: Thanks for the link!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Imagine putting one of those masks on and looking through the same slits that someone else looked through thousands of years earlier.

Truly beautiful!

new topics

top topics

join