It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, explain THIS, bilbical scholars (prove to me, it's not all hogwash)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

The word for create in the Hebrew Torah may mean "to let come forth", "reveal" or similar, it would depend on what branch of theology you'd support. The whole Torah is written from a geocentric point of view, as what Man living on Earth would observe, and the Lights in the sky obviously wasn't visible as Sun, Moon and Stars until the third aeon (or Heb. Jovm, the same word etymologically, see link below) from the ground, possibly since there was too much CO2 and water vapour in the air. However there was light enough to differ between day and night since before the dawn of the first aeon.

www.biblestudytools.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Let me say this. You will find that Islam, Hebrew, Christian, pre-dynastic Eqyptian, Sumerian and countless other religious texts have a hauntingly similar story. Some of the characters are different but they contain common themes and events such as the great flood. Events that can and have been proven by archaeologists and other sciences. Remember that everything we thought we knew 50 years ago has been proven wrong or placed in another context. One of the conclusions you may draw from these texts is that god is an extra-demensional being. They also contain stories of a "destroyer" or wormwood star. Have you considered that these are historical texts and that the cultures, having in most cases little or no contact with each other and existing at different points in time, have very similar stories? Perhaps god sent different conveyers of his message at different times to different cultures, or perhaps not. But pay attention to these texts, particularly the Bible. One of the things we take from our limited knowlege of science is that there are other dimensions, and I see this as proof of God's existence, although prior to this knowlege I believed as well. God asks us to have faith, as he knew that as humans we have limited ability to understand the true nature of things. I think you should take his word for it.
There are those in the religious community who see science as a threat to religion. As a christian, I see just the opposite. Science has confirmed the existence of god. One of the most compelling things to me are the stories of near death experiences. Most report a similar story, pulled into the light and witnessing all that ever was and will be in one place. This, to me, represents going into another dimension and stepping out of time, where we can see that the young us and the older us and all versions inbetween exist simultaneaosly across the dimension of time. It's compelling. Take take God at his word and listen to the advice Jesus gave us.

edit on 23-9-2010 by astrogolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by astrogolfOne of the most compelling things to me are the stories of near death experiences. Most report a similar story, pulled into the light and witnessing all that ever was and will be in one place. This, to me, represents going into another dimension and stepping out of time, where we can see that the young us and the older us and all versions inbetween exist simultaneaosly across the dimension of time. It's compelling. Take take God at his word and listen to the advice Jesus gave us.

I'd rather look into the chemical blast that happens in people's brains when they die. Heavy amounts of the highly halucinogenic compound '___' is released, and people who have experienced '___' on their own either recreationally or experimentally report of exactly the same visions of tunnels of light, dead relatives welcoming you or warning you etc. This is why in many cultures where '___' has been used in rituals etc. it is said that it is kindof a stargate into the realm of the gods. Wouldn't do it if I were you though, for like McKenna explained it, it was like being hit in the face with a hammer.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

1. Don't assume that particular translation is 100% correct and faithful to the original.
2. It seems to me that the Old Testament is an amalgamation of Israeli tribal law, legends, and fables. The New Testament seems to be an amalgamation of stories about this guy named Jesus, his disciples, and this guy named Paul.

Biblical literalists take the Bible way too seriously, I think. The Bible, like any holy book, is a far cry from a scientific text. I guess my advice is that when I remember what it actually is, taking it seriously is a lot easier for me.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

The Hebrew word for day meant period of light between two periods of darkness, or a prolonged period of time,

The writers of the bible set themselves apart from other creation myths by seeing the celestial bodies for what they were, instead of gods.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

DinoSAWRS? Try reading Job when he talks about the Leviathan and the Behemoth. Personally, I can't name another animal with legs like bronze pillars AND a tail like a cedar tree, unless you look back far enough. Also, the
Bible is all about man and God.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join