It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, explain THIS, bilbical scholars (prove to me, it's not all hogwash)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
[I put this in Aliens and UFOs Forum, 'cause, if you consider the subject matter...]

Here's one small tidbit from 'The Good Book' that deserves closer scrutiny - directly from Genesis:

16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day."\

(Man was not created until the 6th day. (So, this is not a fallible translation by man))

This passage was authored (or interpreted/transcribed) by someone with a very specific viewpoint - one who had a very primitive view of the 'Universe', that is to say, extremely limited - to be blunt, from the perspective of Earth being the center of everything, and with nowhere near the understanding of the solar system & cosmos that we have today!

I mean, we know how the earth was created with the rest of the solar system and universe - to suggest that the earth was created before the 'lights' were thrown in the sky (sun, moon, and stars) shows a complete lack of understanding of how things were created.

You have to at least get the beginning right, if you expect people to swallow the rest of the bull#.

Don't fight the science, man.

Counterpoint?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
You make great points but forget that science is an evil tool created by Satan to lessen our faith in God...

Being totally sarcastic, by the way. You make a great point.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

It's a good point.

Although I disagree that it can't be a bad translation.

If you're going to rewrite the Bible, then you'd probably want to do all of it. Considering if you got enough people to believe in your version, there'd be that many more people doing things EXACTLY the way you want them to.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I've run the accretion methods
and it's bull dookie, colliding dust particles
don't even build mud. They build nothing.
Instead of running a lot of physics
I'll just prove it by analogy.

How many times do I have
to toss a ping pong ball against the wall
before it sticks?

That's right.
It _never_ sticks.

Accretion is not possible without chemistry.
Stickiness is a chemical property
that exerts influence on the
behavior of compounds.

And the theory on
how the earth
was created
is silent
here.

How does accretion make compounds again?

Oh

And thank you for conceding that one _can_
find the actual unvarnished word in the old book
if one looks hard enough.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Moses, a dear friend of God, wrote that passage and the first five books of the bible.

We are still trying to figure out how everything was created, but I dont think in this lifetime we will ever
know.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz
Counterpoint?
I mean, we know how the earth was created with the rest of the solar system and universe - to suggest that the earth was created before the 'lights' were thrown in the sky (sun, moon, and stars) shows a complete lack of understanding of how things were created.

u know this cuz uwere there when it happened wright?
[snip]

edit on 15/9/10 by masqua because: Removed personal attack and trimmed quote

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Then why not just use the 4.5 billion years vs. a week argument?
Also you post this in the aliens ufo area, so then maybe you subscribe to the ancient alien theory, and perhaps the bible contains historical events "lost in translation" over the years.

Great argument though, keep up the work

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

you have taken your quote out of context. have you tried viewing that quote in context with the rest of the book?

certainly you don't think that book only reads from left to right ..... do you???

eden [phonetically and reversed] nude
*yep, they were (reportedly) nude in the garden of eden

apply all the words of the bible to the bible and then see what it means.

even if you are right you still have to turn around

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I know of a translation that will make things a lot clearer for you! Check this out:www.thechronicleproject.org...
Scroll to the bottom and read the English paraphrase. Be sure to visit their home page when you are done!

Then, if you are interested, check out this thread:www.abovetopsecret.com...

Let me know what you think!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
The bible and torah lost me at the lack of dinasours. There are just far too many things in Abrahmic theology that don't wash with what we now know about our surroundings. If you didn't understand the world in the way that we do today, then I could undertsand buying the whole story, however times have changed and so has our knowledge.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

So (can't resist - sorry), if you like a bit of science within your religious books, try reading the Qur'an for little gems like:

"And it is We who have built the universe with (Our creative) power; and, verily, it is We who are steadily expanding it." - Sura 51:47

Recited by Muhammad between 610-632AD, stating that the Universe is expanding!

And the accepted 'expanding universe' theories from Einstein, Hubble, et al; are from what date (circa 1920's)?

What The????

edit on 14-9-2010 by CitizenNum287119327 because: add the ref 51:47

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

That's a very deep philosophical quote in my mind.

That WE create the universe and the WE are expanding it?

I haven't read the Quran in years, I will have to gloss over it again for some more of these.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Here's a good article that may answer your question. Following are some excerpts.
www.godandscience.org...

Both science and the Bible (8) have told us that at the earth's creation, it was covered with a dense layer of clouds and gases which would have made it dark at its surface. Genesis 1:2 says, "darkness was over the surface of the deep." Next, God removed much of the cloud cover, when He stated, "Let there be light"

Next the translucent cloud layer was removed so that the sun, moon and stars shown through. Notice the unusual construction in Genesis 1:14 which states, "Then God said, 'Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years;'" "Let there be" is an unusual way to describe de novo creation (see also verse 1:3).

edit on 14-9-2010 by LAinhabitant because: Sp

edit on 14-9-2010 by LAinhabitant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It's like the royal 'We', 'Our', 'One'.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
The bible and torah lost me at the lack of dinasours.

--airspoon

seek writ = secret

do you know that in the last 15 years scientist and archeologists have discovered ancient fossils that seem to prove that the first feathers on the planet evolved from dinosaurs.

so... did they really die out and go extinct? NO!!! they evolved into birds and soar through the air like an eagle.

Die? NO! Soar...
add em up and....
Dinosaur

compound words. i learned about them in the third grade.

peace,
et

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

I find it quite funny the amount of inconsistencies within the first few pages of the bible alone...the Sun and Moon are referred to as the same thing, a light...they aren't both "lights"...why would God, or The Holy Spirit, or whoever, state the moon was a light?!? Surely they knew better...it simply isn't a light...so why call it a light?!? Because ancient men didn't realize the surface of the moon was actually reflecting light from the Sun and wasn't actually producing it's own light.

edit on 14/9/10 by CHA0S because: grammar

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Ha - never heard of these- these are good.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Its really hard to know the past for certain .We look and interpret today what might not have been so yesterday .I like Neil Adams take on the earth is growing . www.continuitystudios.net... this is the home page www.nealadams.com... ...peace

Paradigm Shift: Age Of The Electric Universe www.disclose.tv...

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Places living habitat first then the energy to warm it and light it next makes sense. Mabey I am misunderstanding this thread if so please correct.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

My friend, the earth is NOT the center of the universe. YOU are.

When that was written a man was describing all that he could see from his perspective.

Even with our great technology, we still see the universe through OUR eyes which takes the image to OUR brain and we do the best to comprehend it.

Everyone of us IS the center of OUR universe. We cannot perceive it any other way.

With Love,

Your Brother

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join