It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

County Sues Farmer, Cites Too Many Crops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. -- DeKalb County is suing a local farmer for growing too many vegetables, but he said he will fight the charges in the ongoing battle neighbors call “Cabbagegate.”

Fig trees, broccoli and cabbages are among the many greens that line the soil on Steve Miller’s more than two acres in Clarkston, who said he has spent fifteen years growing crops to give away and sell at local farmers markets.In January, Dekalb County code enforcement officers began ticketing him for growing too many crops for the zoning and having unpermitted employees on site.

Miller stopped growing vegetables this summer and the charges were put on hold as he got the property rezoned.

Source

This boils my blood

I wish some local Goon would tell me My Garden is too big.

This is just another case that proves you do not own your property, the Government does.

I can understand some of the zoning arguements but its supposed to be private property. Government has no right to tell you how much food you can grow. This may well be Codex Almentarious/Agenda 21 in action as far as we know.

The controled Media sure wouldn't tell you if it was.

The County where I live was talking about charging people that had thier own well for the watter used. They got told that it would be unenforceable.

Does anyone think Government has the right to regulate how large your home garden is?
If so Why? And would suicide be an option if you thought so?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The guy grows more than he can consume and sells it to others. It's not his "home garden".

Oh, and already a thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
As I have stated before...the day some government agent starts confiscating and ticketing me for the food i raise for my family on my land...thats the day i become an outlaw...and start using their blood to write really scary Old Testament verses on their car doors...

for thine abominations and thine whoredoms, ye shall perish

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I do not know a single person that grows a home garden that don't either give the extra away or sometimes barter or sell it.

This is tyranny on a local level and tyrants should be shot!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

You're missing the point. Gardeners tend to their garden, and give or barter excess; farmers farm with the intention of sale. The guy is intentionally growing food to sell. His is not a home garden.

It's tiring, no... annoying listening to people invoke semantics when it suits the cause then quite rapidly grow exponentially vague when that is self-serving.

edit on 9/13/2010 by abecedarian because: clarification

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
The guy grows more than he can consume and sells it to others. It's not his "home garden".

Doesn't matter.
His property. He's growing vegetables. He's not cooking meth.

I bet if he were growing illegal plants then he'd be fine. They'd probably be protecting his right to grow organic glaucoma medicine or something.

Nope. Figs, broccoli and cabbages...oh my!
Genuine threat to society.

It seems to just be people that threaten to be self sufficient that are seen as enemies of the state.

edit on 13-9-2010 by badgerprints because: spelling, you obsessive compulsive control freaks. It's spelling.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

He's allegedly breaking a law. Whether or not it's justified is irrelevant. A law has purportedly been broken. Don't like the law, get it changed. End of story. Until then, respect the laws and strive to change them.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

He's allegedly breaking a law. Whether or not it's justified is irrelevant. A law has purportedly been broken. Don't like the law, get it changed. End of story. Until then, respect the laws and strive to change them.

I have no respect for the law.

I respect the IDEA of law and follow it. This is necessary for society to progress.

Blindly bowing to arbitrary and damaging laws is a different issue. It is NOT the "End of story" as you put it. It is the beginning.

A law that prevents a man from growing vegetables on a 2 acre plot of land? Oppress much?

What a load. We've got bigger problems to deal with than suing citizens over cabbages.

Everyone in the world should have a yardfull of fruit trees and vegetable gardens.

Anarchy! ....er..... and veggies

edit on 13-9-2010 by badgerprints because: I had too many smiley faces in there. I rarely use them but felt this one was necessary. Two would have been ok but I put in three by mistake. Emoticon overkill. Way too much. Could have just taken one out but that would have left two and may have been construed as waffling. Yep. One good smiling emoticon does the job. Aren't you glad we have these obsessive little boxes to make us explain ourselves like this?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
County Sues Farmer, Cites Too Many Crops. True, but the normal sensationalized title to get peoples emotions and provide better ratings.

County Enforces Zoning Regulations on Local Farmer. True too, but probably not worthy enough for people to read. Poor title equals poor ratings.

He wasn't following the zoning regulations and had unpermitted employees. Let's build a Home Depot where the old corner hardware store used to be. Who cares if the zoning doesn't permit it, we need somewhere to locally buy lumber. And don't worry about the unpermitted workers there either.

I agree with abecedarian.

A law has purportedly been broken. Don't like the law, get it changed. End of story. Until then, respect the laws and strive to change them.

It reminds me of people who don't like the law but only argue with the one's that enforce them instead of trying to change them with the ones that make them.

Miller stopped growing vegetables this summer and the charges were put on hold as he got the property rezoned.

It appears he went about the proper procedure to be allowed to continue to grow his crops. Were they stopping him from growing crops, enforcing the law or trying to make money in the process? All of the above? Some of the above? Something else?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

NOPE, not a law.

A law is legislation that is righteous.

Legislation that cannot define an aggrieved party, is "Color of Law".

Tell me, who is the injured party in this case?

The government? Why, because they did not get their CUT of the action?

Tyrant!

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Good for this farmer.

Boo to the stupid laws that condemn him.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

NOPE, not a law.

A law is legislation that is righteous.

Legislation that cannot define an aggrieved party, is "Color of Law".

Tell me, who is the injured party in this case?

The government? Why, because they did not get their CUT of the action?

Tyrant!

A law is binding legislation, righteous or otherwise, until such time as it has been challenged and grievances settled. Perhaps you're thinking, or maybe we should be thinking... along the lines of codes of conduct, ordinances and such? Codifications are not acting as "color of law", they are similarly enforceable as laws; the argument degenerates into semantics.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Zoning laws, tell me, have you ever had to or know of someone that needed to change a zone to build a certain type of building or business?

First and foremost, they must get the neighbors to the project to agree to the change. To me that sounds GREAT. Let us say that everyone agrees. The next step is to get the approval of the zoning agency.

Now, what is their major concern? Is it the traffic on the roads, the additional services necessary, blah blah blah.

NO, those items will be required no matter what the building or business is going to do.

All they worry about is the tax they are going to reap. So tell me, let us say someone purchases a certain zoned area but they want to get it zoned for something that the government is not going to reap huge rewards from. Do you think they are going to have a chance in hell of getting it rezoned, even if they get the neighbors to agree?

Now, if he was warned after SOMEONE complained, to me that would be a different story.

Being that no one has the right to infringe on another's rights. As long as the rights are actually infringed.

My viewpoint.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
OK Folks, plug this into Google Maps to see what is really going on here.

4073 Cimarron Drive Clarkston Ga

That is the address in question.

It's a house in a subdivision. It's not a farm, It's a yard.

The address comes from the Dekalb county commissioners website so it's accurate and already in the public domain.

Source

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Should that matter? if a person owns the land and grows his own food and shares with neighbors and friends who cares. This is a clear example of local tyranny.

This still pisses me off.

I would say how I really feel but it would get me banned.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
You know, I had a grandfather that had a HUGE garden.

When he retired he started that garden. Pretty much grew enough for his wife and himself for the year.

Now, he had all kinds of extras, do not know what they did with it, never asked.

I would LOVE to have all my current neighbors to have their own gardens. I could care less if it covered every square inch of their property.

See, growing food is a GOOD thing for a community. It makes it self sufficient and I love fresh produce.

Plus, helps clean the air.

Plus, it helps the animal life.

Plus, the government does not get a cut in the profits.

I myself am thinking of moving to a place next year where I can start my HUGE garden.

Tell me, what is the difference between a garden and a lawn? Oh, you actually get something from it.

Most communities require that you cannot allow your yard to go to seed. You have to have it mowed and the like. Hmmm, wonder why THAT is?

Cannot wait to go to my sister's and brother in law's place this year for the canning/sauer kraut party.

Gotta love self sustaining communities. Better get back to it. The government handouts are NOT going to last forever. They always run out of other people's money.

new topics

top topics

join