It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New drug-resistant superbugs found in 3 states

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

New drug-resistant superbugs found in 3 states

news.yahoo.com

BOSTON – An infectious-disease nightmare is unfolding: A new gene that can turn many types of bacteria into superbugs resistant to nearly all antibiotics has sickened people in three states and is popping up all over the world, health officials reported Monday.

Scientists have long feared this — a very adaptable gene that hitches onto many types of common germs and confers broad drug resistance.

"The ingredients are there" for widespread transmission, he said. "It's going to spread by plane all over the world."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
After all the swine-flu buzz, it was just a matter of time before something more dangerous came out.

Im not too concerned about this.....yet. I havent really seen this in the news like swine-flu was. Im guessing it could just be fearmongering. Always gotta have some new thing to be afraid of.

I find it kind of odd that this isnt a specific virus/bacteria, but it's a gene that clings onto germs and makes them drug-resistant. Its pretty interesting.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit - The article talks about 3 patients in the US -

Lab tests showed their germs were not killed by the types of drugs normally used to treat drug-resistant infections, including "the last-resort class of antibiotics that physicians go to," Limbago said.
- they all survied.

Plus some doctors are using drugs from the 50's-60's

Doctors have tried treating some of these cases with combinations of antibiotics, hoping that will be more effective than individual ones are. Some have resorted to using polymyxins — antibiotics used in the 1950s and '60s that were unpopular because they can harm the kidneys.
I can see how this may turn out bad if the gene becomes widespread.

edit on 13-9-2010 by buni11687 because: More information

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
wait, theres already a thread on this www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Superbugs can causes worldwide pandemic than those overhyped swine flu or bird fly

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
interesting. i didnt know genes "cling" onto things.

infact i didnt even know genes were floating around in a manner where they are able to "cling".

i always assumed they were part of the DNA strain.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I assume it's this?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
It might be resistant to prescriptions, but it is not resistant to nature. There are some extremely powerful antibiotics in nature. One of them being inside a hallucinogenic cactus (San Pedro)... Oh noes...

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

wow i wish i would have known that during my last staf infection.

i had some on hand the whole time. you think same would hold true to peruvian torch?

/me slaps self.

that nano-silver works too, but you gotta get the lab grade kind in the store. the "colloidal" and "ionic" stuff works too but not as well.

i also heard manuka honey works well internally.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

Peruvian Torch is from the same family as San Pedro, so I would imagine it would be quite likely to have the same antibacterial chemical (although probably at very different concentrations) . Try it out next time you get an infection and let us know if it made a difference
(along with antibiotics of course, and also of course let your doc know.. just internet safety talk, don't take it personal)

edit: The cactus family name is Trichocereus in case you are wondering (technically it's genus not family, but you get the picture).

edit on 14-9-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
MOD- as someone already beat me to this, you may delete this thread. :-)

new topics

top topics

join