It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Texas cities will help dispose of unwanted prescription drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Article

Do you have some unused prescription medication? A few expired pills? Or some unwanted prescription drugs?

Several North Texas police and law enforcement agencies will be teaming with the Drug Enforcement Administration on Sept. 25 for a first-ever national “Take Back” program where residents can safely discard prescription medications for destruction.

In many cases, residents flush unused medicine down a toilet or throw them away, both disposal methods are potential safety and health hazards, police said.

The program will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sept. 25. Residents are asked to take any unused, expired or unwanted prescription drugs. Officials will not accept inhalers, syringes and liquid medications.

This is a local North Texas area event, atleast from what I know so far. There's a list of drop off spots included in the article for anyone on here thats from the area.

I think this is a good thing. Remember the articles about how trace amounts of perscription drugs were ending up in the drinking water? I dont really know how they are going to dispose of the drugs, but hopefully its better than flushing them down the toilet.

Plus theres also the fact that some people abuse perscription drugs - oxycontin for example. Its better to have these things off the streets than to just keep them laying around.

Hopefully this all turns out good.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Why bother with the fuzz and feds in the first place? I'll be glad to dispose of any of the good stuff everyone has.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
That's the whole scam with this, they aren't unwanted drugs at all but quite wanted. That's why they want them.

Then again, the cops might start acting really chill all of a sudden, for some "mysterious" reason after all the Valium went "missing".

edit on 9/13/2010 by EnlightenUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Ah, the love of medicines...
I realise that there are some ailments that really do need treatment, however for the VAST majority of "illness" we do not need drugs of any kind.
One thing I have noticed is that I do not get the flu, ever. I do notice that my friends, who receive the flu vaccination, do get the flu... I wonder why.
Prescription drugs are over prescribed and dished out like free candy/sweets. It's wrong.
Perhaps the human race will realise this sooner rather than later.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Oh, I'm sure they will!

More than likely these will be used by narco cops to make deals with suspected dealers to gain their trust or in some instance like that. This happens all the time with confiscated drugs from busts.

So more than likely, despite their best efforts, these pills will probably end up on the streets after all. Of course they know this.

edit on 13-9-2010 by susp3kt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

One thing is for sure, just because the expiration date has passed does not mean that they're ineffective.

I suppose what you're saying is that they want the money in the "right" hands. I wonder if there will be arrests if someone walks-in with a little too much. If a scripts were written for a higher quantities of certain meds they would probably also go after the doctor that wrote the prescription because it's on the label.

It's bad to dump this stuff in the sewer but I don't think law enforcement should have any part in this sort of thing. It smells bad. Besides possible malfeasance, it can be used to gather information on anyone turning-in prescriptions.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I agree, and they might go so far as to add that person with too much prescribed medication to a list! *gasp*

But should really tell you something...

The coppers aren't after the doctors selling the scripts. If that were to happen, your rich M.D.'s would raise holy hell, and nationwide Police Chiefs would be getting calls from City Mayors because they are arresting their friends and dealers.

They are after the easy money: dealers. Made in arrest & court, and from the extra perks of the job. Things like confiscated drugs & cash, seized from the dealers after a bust.

G'day!

edit on 13-9-2010 by susp3kt because: To fix paragraph & added to

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Probably won't be thrown away. The cops will seize the drugs then use them in undercover purchase busts.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

When it comes to doctors involved in pain management, you bet they do raid them which makes doctors reluctant to use them to properly treat the symptoms of a chronic condition.

CATO Institute - Treating Doctors as Drug Dealers: The DEA's War on Prescription Painkillers

I haven't read this particular piece in its entirety, just the abstract so I have an easy source for this post
, but I have read enough in the past and this one might be fairly informative.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
So would concerns about the drugs ending up on the street or persons ending up on a list be allayed if you just turned in the "stuff" without the bottles - like all mixed together in a ziploc, maybe take the capsules apart...

But seriously folks, in itty bitty towns in Texas it's more likely the drugs will be used to frame innocents during "consented" car seaches during routine traffic stops than the drugs ending up on the street. And anywhere near the DFW metroplex just about anybody can get just about anything persciption from a doctor (the more pricey the doc the more likely the score). Anyway who wants blood thinners, diabetes, intestinal or rash medicines? The vast majority of "old folks" drugs aren't any fun - and the vast majority prescription drugs are sold to us old folks!.

I wouldn't worry about LEOs taking the prescription meds themselves except steroids.... and maybe opiates... or amphetamines.......... OK definitely not tranquilizers, tranquil cops not good.

gj

edit on 13-9-2010 by ganjoa because: bad tags removed, misspelled vended/replaced with sold

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Why not simply take them to the pharmacy for disposal?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Star for your completely logical and rational observation.

It must be the propaganda value - and so close to the new budget year too......

gj

new topics

top topics

join