It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starcraft 2 - Tips and Strats thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen. Here in this thread we will talk about our own little strats, builds and tricks for the 3 races.

If everyone contributes to the best of their ability I'm sure we can help to make each and every one of us a better Starcraft 2 player.

I'm going to start with Zerg seeing as they are the most misunderstood, confusing and difficult to play.

(posting in reply)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I realized while making this insanely long zerg tutorial that I will need to be at home to take screen shots to describe some of the things I want to convey here. I know I should have thought about this before I made the thread but I didn't.

I will however eventually (tonight or tomorrow) post a detailed zerg multiplayer tutorial with some tricks to gain you that extra edge.

However feel free to post some stuff of your own!

edit on 13-9-2010 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well,I usually play with Terran and what works for me are the marines(alot of marines).Though,they have their weaknesses.Playing against Terran ur marines will probably fall victim to siege tanks.And waiting too long before you launch an attack will give the enemy enough time to build stronger weapons that will leave ur marines pretty much useless.So rushing the enemy and overwhelming them works for me but my tactic has some flaws.
Other than that I geuss the best commander can adapt to any given situation and the Terran units allows for that if you don't get stuck on building just one specific unit.
Pairing is probably the best.Siege tanks with marines or siege tanks paired up with something capable of taking out air units and protecting ur tanks for long enough.What I've also noticed is sneaking up on the enemy with Vikings or any air units.
Playing against Zerg sucks.Mainly because they're so quick so launch an attack on ur base.Though,building a gate at ur base entrance will hold them off for long enough to build a few marines or any other defenses.
Protos isn't that difficult because their units take so long to build and are so expensive though giving them enough time to build up some resources will leave you regretting it.I'd say rushing them works.But some guys have figured this out and can keep u busy for long enough by building ground defenses right next to ur base.lol.Which is the most irritating thing ever.
Pretty sure there are alot of other tactics u can use when playing with Terran....

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
commenting so i can check back in on this thread, i will edit later.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
here's an opening terran strategy i've been known to use from time to time...it works well if you are confident in your micro skills, and helps take advantage of early terran strengths by giving you early economic advantage (about the only thing this build is NOT good for is going Battle Cruisers)

otherwise...it has served me quite well

Ill redo this some time and demonstrate it as an actual strategy, instead of a replay including the strategy.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Wow,this thread died quickly.was hoping for some more tips.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

They are coming when I find a moment in my busy life.

posted on Sep, 16 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

They are coming when I find a moment in my busy life.

seconded...we're right down swamped at work right now...usually just come home, check the forums, watch some TV and crash early...hopefully have some time soon...it'd be nice to have a lil starcraft cult here on ATS

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Here's a redone version of the Terran Fast Expand. The Build Order Is:

10/11 - Supply Depot
12/19 - Barracks
15/19 - Scout with SCV
16/19 - Create Marine
17/19 - Build A New Command Center
18/19 - Convert current CC into Orbital Command
19/19 - Use O.C. to drop in extra supplies
20/27 - 2nd Barracks
21/27 - Refinery (3 SCVs right away)
23/27 - Barracks (unless scouting reveals the need for a factory/starport)

From here, you should proceed based on what you're able to scout. A safe opener is to go with the 3 barracks and get a stable force of marines/marauders.

Sometimes its best to stop at 2 barracks and instead get a factory along with a 2nd vespene geyser.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'll definately be trying that one out.I'll let you know how it goes.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Anyone here know how to turn replays into video and make it so I can add commentary?

I did a couple really nice protoss strats (actually my best race) with some really good harass examples I'd like to make a video of and post.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Yeah, it's actually not too difficult, just get a full version of FRAPS

www.fraps.com...

and after a few tweaks to FRAPS & SC2, you're good to go (for instance, you need to turn your volume on SC2 WAY down, otherwise your voice will be drowned out)

and you should turn on the +20db microphone boost on your mic (it's under the sound options for recording devices) and, if your sound card allows for it, turn the feedback for your mic down....otherwise, with that 20db boost, you're going to have a ton of feedback, even if using headphones.

Once FRAPS has recorded, use a program like Windows Movie Maker (thats the one I use) to compile the raw data into something manageable that can be uploaded to Youtube.

By manageable, i mean that fraps will result in 3 to 4 gigabytes big for a single tutorial, depending on its length, so you need to compress that raw data into something with a better compression rate...wmv is what windows movie maker uses

i can help you tweak all your settings if you can't figure it out (it took me hours of google searching to fine tune things and figure out where all the options were)

Or, if you don't feel like going through all that, you can send me your replay file and i'll cast it for you if you wanted to write up a script or a guideline?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Well, my computer runs starcraft 2 just fine. Starcraft 2 and recording software though..... well... I don't know if it could handle it.

I'll find a spot to upload the replays.

On a side note, we should play a game man. 1v1

Or do some 2v2s. Maybe tonight?

new topics

top topics

join