It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian Papyrus Manuscript found in Ireland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I dont know whether this is the right place for this,,but its interesting to think that the early Irish Christians had a connection with Egypt...............,,

Ireland’s National Museum announced on Monday, September 6th 2010, the discovery of fragments of Egyptian papyrus in the leather cover of an ancient book of psalms. According to the museum ‘it is a finding that asks many questions and has confounded some of the accepted theories about the history of early Christianity in Ireland.’ Its significance may be huge, as the papyrus could be evidence of the first ‘tangible connection between early Irish Christianity and the Middle Eastern Coptic Church’, the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria.

The manuscript known as the Faddan More Psalter was unearthed four years ago, on July 20th 2006, from a peat bog at Faddan More near the town of Birr in County Tipperary. The fragmented illuminated vellum manuscript is encased in an Egyptian style leather binding and dates to the eighth century. According to Raghnall O Floinn, head of collections at the Museum, it represents one of the top ten archaeological discoveries in Ireland. It was the first manuscript to be found in a water-logged state in a bog and its discovery posed unprecedented difficulties for the Conservation Department of the Museum.'

www.thedailynewsegypt.com...

edit on 13/9/10 by masqua because: Edited 'All Caps' from title

edit on 13-9-2010 by DCDAVECLARKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

I can't read the whole article now, but I am not surprised by this. My husband's family comes from Scotland, and they have traced their lineage back to Israel. I can't wait for more to be revealed!!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Not that far fetched. After all, Rome was in the English Isles as late as 400 years prior to the date of that document. And were there much earlier. Rome of course, like Greece, always tinkered with Egypt.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Interesting story, but 800 AD isn't really ancient Egyptian is it?

Sendran.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

Slip of the Finger,,

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne

Not that far fetched. After all, Rome was in the English Isles as late as 400 years prior to the date of that document. And were there much earlier. Rome of course, like Greece, always tinkered with Egypt.

Surely you mean the British Isles! but I forgive yea seen your from Florida, mind you any Irish man worth his Salt would call them the Home Countries....

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Ireland has a lot of connections with the middle east since ancient times, the round towers the are dotted around our beautiful landscape were not built as places of reffuge durning a viking atteck but as prayer towers, also there are tales of 7 egypitan priests ( christian priests) buried in ireland, christianity in ireland in the begining was inflounencd but the coptic church, you can see this in the art work of the book of kells also shamrock is an arabic word, the irish didnt like the roman style of christianity so went to the source to find the word of god the early christian church in ireland was more enlightend and more open than the roman style which later dominated our land

top topics

join