It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: U.S. Approved Use of Dogs Against Prisoners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
In this war a shame of abuse has emerged that has shaken the world. A scandal, and a load of finger pointing and denials. However the facts though slow are beginning to rise to the surface amid the spin and denials. In the following report and links after you will at least see that there was far more involvement at higher levels within the U.S. Government than many are willing to either accept or believe. This is the deeper shame of a nation brought to us by a war in Iraq lead by false or misleading information. There are facts being brought into the light each day and it is not looking very good for the current administration...

Full Report Link: ABCNEWS.com

President Bush said he has never ordered the torture of Iraqi or al Qaeda prisoners as the White House on Tuesday released secret documents showing the use of dogs to induce fear was approved among interrogation methods at Guantanamo Bay and then abandoned.

The White House release of a thick file of newly declassified papers tried to demonstrate that Bush and his top aides, in setting policy on interrogation methods, insisted that detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, be treated humanely.

"Let me make very clear the position of my government and our country: We do not condone torture. I have never ordered torture. I will never order torture. The values of this country are such that torture is not a part of our soul and our being," Bush told reporters at the White House.

But Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont accused the White House of releasing a "self-serving selection" of documents. "The stonewalling in the prison abuse scandal has been building to a crisis point," he said. The documents showed Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld in December 2002 approved harsh interrogation techniques for Taliban and al Qaeda prisoners at the U.S. Naval Base in Guantanamo, only to rescind many of those weeks later and approve less aggressive techniques in April of 2003.

Treatment of the Guantanamo detainees, including interrogation methods, has come under scrutiny following a scandal over abuse and sexual humiliation of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. forces at Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So what is going on here? I say where there is smoke like this there must be fire.

White House legal counsel is playing down some of the documents produced by lawyers as "abstract legal theories" that "do not reflect the policies the administration ultimately adopted."

Really? then why was it in practice in Iraq?

As this story evolves I hope the Bush administration can prove their case against the allegations of involvement in abuse of prisoners. However it is time that will be the ultimate judge here, and perhaps the damage is already done and beyond repair. The world will take from this what they will. and the perception that this abuse was either ordered or condoned has only fed the enemy propaganda in the over all war on terrorism. This prison abuse scandal cuts at the very pride of our nation when we should show that we "the United States of America" are better than this. In my view what happened at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo is just as important as who knew about it and how far up the chain of command it went.

At a minimum here it would seem that the environment where abuse could occur was created by those who were in command.

Related Report from FoxNews.com:

Memo: Rumsfeld OK'd Dogs

Related ATSNN Report:

Memo Says Bush was Not Restricted by Torture Bans

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Dogs eh... I would have preferred that they used something along the lines of genetically modified 500 lb. maneating PIGS.

But dogs will do just as well I guess.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Dogs are perfect since most Arabs have something against dogs. They see them as we see sewer rats, at least thats what I've been told by a couple Arab friends of mine.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The above remarks are cheap shots that only serve to demean the posters who made them IMO, and do nothing to enhance the already unfortunate reputation the U.S. has brought upon itself in the eyes of the world regarding the abuse of prisoners in its care.

The U.K. Guardian newspaper take on "where does my son go after choir practice" provides an illuminating insight into this type of situation -

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Mistaken Attack, U.S. Soldier Beaten by MP's During Gitmo Drill, Army to Reopen Investigation. Just something to add to this little thread....

Full Report Link: ABCNEWS.com

June 22, 2004 � Army Spc. Sean Baker of Georgetown, Ky., is lucky to be alive after experiencing firsthand the way prisoners can be treated at Guantanamo Bay.

The high-security prison at the U.S. naval base in Cuba serves as a detention center for suspected Taliban fighters and al Qaeda operatives.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Click the above full report link and read the full article. I dare you!

This was an american mistaken for an enemy/terrorist... and he is lucky to be alive.

Of course this proves nothing now does it?

Gazz

[edit on 23-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

top topics

join