It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq, Afghan Veterans Call For Respect For Muslims: "America, You Gotta Have Our Back"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
huffingtonpost.com

The push by some in the media against rising anti-Muslim sentiment in the United States gained valuable voices of support over the weekend -- and now joining that chorus are veterans who fought alongside U.S. servicemembers of Islamic faith in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A small but growing group of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans have signed onto an open letter, provided exclusively to the Huffington Post, which calls on the American public to respect "the values we risked our lives to protect" and to avoid endangering the mission -- and safety -- of U.S. forces in the Mideast. Like Gen. David Petraeus, the veterans warn that U.S. troops will face blowback from demonstrated intolerance for Muslims at home.

"America, you gotta have our back," reads the letter, composed by signatories Roy Scranton, Philip Klay and Perry O'Brien. "Those who would vilify and target Muslims on grounds of their religious belief not only show a deep disrespect for American values, but put American lives at risk. It's easy to burn a Koran when you won't feel the heat."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The outcry against the planned burning of the Koran in Florida a few days was so great that it inflamed many parts of the Middle East and threatened to make our service people in Iran and Afghanistan into targets for reprisal. Thank God cooler heads prevailed and the burning did not take place.

Many Americans fear and/or are critical of the actions of some Muslims, and they are entitled to their misgivings. But America cannot afford a full scale religious persecution, such as the one against Mormons in the last century, or those against Catholics or Jews at other times in our history. That would be completely contrary to American values, including freedom of religion.

We cannot make Muslims scapegoats for our intolerance of anyone who is not a "real Christian" in the eyes of some very vocal sects, or those who want to establish their brand of Christianity as the official state religion. Our intolerance would only be met with more hate and intolerance from the Muslim world. It will become a never-ending cycle of escalating hate and violence which could eventually threaten much of the entire world.

We owe our service men and women the right to live in peace with their fellow soldiers and those whose countries they now occupy.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Such a hot button issue.

Do you remember we fought a civil war not such a long time ago.

You can't temper the passions of those in the right.

You can only do what you think is right.

Now which is right remains for history to determine.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Oh but it's ok to call in airstrikes on civilian areas in the middle of a city? It's ok to bomb families and stuff.

But burning a Koran? Oh noes its too inflammatory.

What a load of bull this whole thing is.

This is OK and FINE, but burning a stupid pointless book is off limits right?

Yeah don't burn that Koran it might make the Muslims mad!

But don't worry about us dropping huge bombs on their cities! They don't mind that at all!

This whole thing is BS!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by joe7pack
Such a hot button issue.

No it's not an issue at all.

Anyone logical doesn't care about a book being burnt.

They are more concerned with AIR STRIKES IN THE MIDDLE OF POPULATED CITIES!!!!

Talk about mind control....people are being distracted so blatantly it's absurd!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

"U.S. troops will face blowback from demonstrated intolerance for Muslims at home"

Where have I heard that before? Oh yes!

I wish American conservatives would follow this guy's wake, instead of the neo-cons they all worship now....

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

We owe our service men and women the right to live in peace with their fellow soldiers and those whose countries they now occupy.

Let me change that a littler bit, "We owe our corporate special private interest of men and women the right to capitalized and profit in peace from the countries that now they are occupying.

There that sounds better . . .

edit on 13-9-2010 by marg6043 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne
reply to post by Sestias

"U.S. troops will face blowback from demonstrated intolerance for Muslims at home"

Nah. We are facing "blowback" for BOMBING the Muslim's HOMES....

What more can be said??

Which is more intolerant? Saying "Your dumb I disagree with you".
OR Blowing them up and killing them?

Tough question right??

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

No, I agree with you completely. But when you have people willing to make a stink WHILE we're bombing them, it will only make matters worse. That one church wasn't planning to burn Korans for warmth or anything of value from the fire or heat that would have been created. It is just a snide 'FU' to those who are already pissed off at us. It's just like any bully, they find what pisses you off the most, and then do it after they kick the sh*t out of you, just for added effect.

I do agree, however, that the koran is just paper, and drawings of Mohammed are just paper, and those who get upset about it are just as ignorant and intolerant as the ones trying to get a reaction from them. It's such an awkward place to be as an atheist, watching these people blow each other up because the tooth fairy told them too. Sad really. Especially since I'll end up paying for their idiocy.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I have no issues with Muslims at all but I have a huge issue with extremists and you can blame the MSM (all variations of it) for molding the weak minded out there into believing that all Muslims = people wanting to chop off your head.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
B.S.!!!

I think the organized burning of the Quran is stupid, but what I find even more stupid is the response by Petraeus, Obama, the Press, and now the troops themselves?

And the media is going to really to try and portray themselves as trying to stifle the anti-Muslim movement?
The anti-Muslim movement is entirley media created!!

How the hell is somebody in some village in Afghanistan supposed to know what some idiot in a little church in Gainesville, Florida is doing without media help?

How about this for a solution. Let the little preacher do whatever he wants to alienate his own flock and ruin his own career, and the rest of the press corps, the president, the military brass, and the troops on the ground entirely ignore it? Petraeus, you can strategize a war plan, Obama, you can dig us out of this debt canyon, troops, watch your six and look out for one another. Everyone stick to your job and ignore this B.S. and let the press wallow in their own mess!!

Here is an even better suggestion! Everytime someone burns a Quran or a Bible or a flag or stones a woman, we target all of our terroristic nature against the MSM that publicized the event?

NFL broadcasts stopped showing fights to get rid of the incentive. Broadcasters stopped showing people streaking a field or doing something stupid to get on TV. If the sports world can figure this out, then why can't the news world? So, terrorists, I am finally agreeing with you, if you see someone burning a Quran on TV, blow the hell out of that broadcaster. Christians, if you see someone burning a Bible or a Flag on TV, blow the hell out of that broadcaster. Then, the Media can take full credit for an "anti" campaign to stifle violence.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Glad to see some people know what a true American is. Hate Muslims, go live somewhere else. Love or leave it.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Burning the Koran is not just a trivial and meaningless gesture. To Muslims it says, "We spit on everything that is sacred and holy to you." Those are fighting words in Muslim countries. It could escalate into a major war between the middle east and the west.

If Muslims burned the Bible we Americans, who have a history of respecting freedom of speech, might be pissed but most would probably not be terribly threatened by it. We already know we're not exactly popular in that part of the world.

The issue these servicemen are addressing is how to respect our own who may be Muslim but are fighting on the American side. Also how to exist in occupied countries with suffering the fewest casualties from retaliation.

Agreed, our very presence in Iraq and Afghanistan is a subject of much debate that many find more important than the burning of the Koran. I personally believe we should be out of both countries as fast as is reasonably possible.

But I think you underestimate the impact on Muslim countries of an act which they regard as the greatest of insults and a direct attack on their God and their entire civilization.

edit on 13-9-2010 by Sestias because: Clarify my wording

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by joe7pack
Such a hot button issue.

No it's not an issue at all.

Anyone logical doesn't care about a book being burnt.

Ok if it's not, then go ahead and burn a koran and get the tape on the news.

See if you have any thoughts about bodily harm coming to you and your's.

I would suggest having a bug out location well stocked with plenty of xanax to help you sleep.

Wonder how Salmon Rushdie feels about the denegration of the koran being no big deal, orTheo Van Gogh, oh wait, he's dead isn't he, never mind. You sir/madame are

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

OK? So what?

Nothing against Muslims, but if someone calls my mother a whore, and I beat them up, guess who goes to jail? ME!!

Two things:
1. They never need to know in the first place. If some Muslim happens upon a book burning in some little church in some little town, then they have every right to be mad/offended or whatever. They still don't have a right to violence.

2. If the press, the military brass, the politicians, the opposing churches, if they would all shut the **ll up! There wouldn't be a problem.

Still, burning a book does not constitute taking lives in any sense. It is not a Western thing, or an American thing, or even a religious thing. No book is worth the life of a human being, and any moron that thinks otherwise is un-human and I hope they do go after our troops and meet the working end of some high-tech military hardware!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by joe7pack

No. It shouldn't be on the news. That is stupid, however if any Muslim wants to come to my house and dare me to burn it, contact me for the address. I'll lean on my shotgun, piss a picture of Mohammed in the sand burn the Quran with Pigs fat as an accelerant. It is all symbolism, if it hurts you to your core and makes you fighting mad, then you have a serious psychological problem, and you can either learn some patience and humility while watching, or meet a peaceful resolution at the end of my shotgun.

To be fair, you can draw naked pictures of my mother and your camel, burn the bible, the flag, my square and compasses, and yell out all the secret Masonic words and I promise not to kill you for it.

I learned a long, long time ago the sticks and stones rhyme. Do they not have that in Persia?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

No. It shouldn't be on the news. That is stupid, however if any Muslim wants to come to my house and dare me to burn it, contact me for the address. I'll lean on my shotgun, piss a picture of Mohammed in the sand burn the Quran with Pigs fat as an accelerant. It is all symbolism, if it hurts you to your core and makes you fighting mad, then you have a serious psychological problem, and you can either learn some patience and humility while watching, or meet a peaceful resolution at the end of my shotgun.

To be fair, you can draw naked pictures of my mother and your camel, burn the bible, the flag, my square and compasses, and yell out all the secret Masonic words and I promise not to kill you for it.

I learned a long, long time ago the sticks and stones rhyme. Do they not have that in Persia?

That shows how truly clueless you and most people actually are. People have met horrible deaths at the hands of kings/hoards just for giving a dissenting look, or being a different color. You are part of the problem if you are too crazy to understand how 'crazy' people actually are. They will kill you in a heartbeat if they think they will go to paradise for doing so.

And by the way have you heard how they kill? Many hours of torture before you die,hundreds of stab wounds and cuts, including body parts cut off while you're still alive. Very evil but they think they are serving the "Holy" God...How do you combat or kill that?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I'm not clueless, I readily admit that it happens, and it happens regularly. I am only asserting that there is no reason to give in to threats of violence over a stupid book.

What if I threaten to kill innocent people unless every one of you give me a dollar right now!?!?! NOW!! HURRY UP, I'm serious! That is extortion. It is illegal. It is immoral. So, what if I do it over and over and I amass a fortune doing it, and I have a track record of following through on my threats. Then does it become ok at some point? It is easier to just give me the dollar. It is only a dollar, and it is very important to me, and it makes everyone safer. Everyone should give me the dollar, and ridicule those that don't give me the dollar, and beg them to give in so that I don't become angry.

I am not clueless, I am just stubborn. I refuse to give in to extortion or terroristic threats, and if anything I will act even more foolish in the face of such threats. I have no desire to burn the Quran, but if you tell me I can't, then I might want to. If you threaten to kill me over it, then I am definitely burning it and standing my ground while you decide just how quickly you want to become a martyr!

I admire the conviction of terrorists. They are fully committed and willing to die. Good for them. I am fully committed to defending myself and daring you to try me. I have a whole bunch of redneck friends just like me. We respect your religion, until you decide to threaten us over some nonsense, then we become 8th graders with a chip on our shoulder bigger than yours! Dare us, we dare you and the whole world goes up in flames. I'm ready, are you?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!!! DURK TURK!!!! TOOK OUR JOBS!!!! BACK TO THE PILE!!!! RABBLE RABBLE!!!!! RABBLE!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I'm not clueless, I readily admit that it happens, and it happens regularly. I am only asserting that there is no reason to give in to threats of violence over a stupid book.

Didn't your momma ever tell you not to stir up a hornets nest?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I am not clueless, I am just stubborn. I refuse to give in to extortion or terroristic threats, and if anything I will act even more foolish in the face of such threats. I have no desire to burn the Quran, but if you tell me I can't, then I might want to. If you threaten to kill me over it, then I am definitely burning it and standing my ground while you decide just how quickly you want to become a martyr!

Well goody for you.

You are not in uniform over there and can afford to posture all you want to in the safety of the U.S. and here on ATS.

Regardless of whether the Muslim world SHOULD feel or act as they do, the reality is that a large segment of the world does react violently to what amounts to spitting on their culture and their God in their eyes.

It's a good thing our diplomats, our foreign policy experts and our representatives to the Muslim world are not as childish as you are. You would have us in a major war if we as a country took your attitude and deliberately provoked other cultures and peoples because in our eyes they SHOULDN'T be offended.

Admit it, if you were unarmed on the other end of the shotgun of a raving lunatic would you REALLY spit on his mother's picture because he SHOULD not be offended?

Isn't it easier and more reasonable to agree that we won't enrage the Muslim world by dissing their Koran?

edit on 13-9-2010 by Sestias because: Clarify some statements

top topics

<<   2 >>

join