It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Churches read from Quran in face of proposed Quran burning

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
[quote=American Daughter]
God of the bible IS Love

...and yet you clearly dislike those who you believe dont share your love of god

See, I remember when inclusiveness, fairness and a willingness to help your fellow human REGARDLESS of the other persons faith and creed, were essential parts of the Christian tenet, do unto others and all that.
But then theres prob more money to be banked and power to gained from pedalling fear and hate.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

While the religion in America were initially founded upon persecution in home countries, Muslims don't have any reason to come here and spread their religion since they aren't being persecuted in their home countries.

You understand don't you that Muslims are absolutely being persecuted in their own countries. In part in places where some political factions like the Taliban or Iranian Government would like to rule using a harsh interpretation of Sharia law. Most Muslims are secular and would like the freedom to choose what passages of their Quran they are going to live their lives by, just like most Christians don't prefer to live like the Pennsylvania Dutch Amish who abide by every verse and passage of the Bible, and most Jews want the freedom to not have to abide by every passage in the Old Testament, Torah and Talmud like ultra-Orthodox Talumdic Jews do.

That's not to mention those fleeing secular violence brought on in places like Iraq where a strong arm ruler like Saddam Hussein and years of the different sects of Islam respecting an uneasy peace between them enforced by Saddam Hussein caused the nation to explode into secular violence once Saddam was removed from power.

That also does not take into consideration thos fleeing Coalition Bombs in places like Afghanistant and until recently Iraq.

So pretending that the Middle East is just a paradise on earth is absolutely rediculous, and blaming that violence all on Islam is absolutely rediculous when the Western Nations themselves have a lot to do with it too.

Further they aren't spreading Islam here in America they are practicing their religion of choice as is their constitutional right.

Further though you don't realize you are saying it, by painting a lily white picture of a predominantly Christian America at it's founding you are in fact admitting to how Christian Europeans slaughtered millions of Native American inhabitants because they weren't Christian thus persecuting them for not being Christian and violently spreading Christianity to the Indians who wanted to survive based on terms dictate to them by the Colonialists and then the new United States Government.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It is nice to see US religious leaders starting to speak out for peace. Pat Robertson makes for a poor spokesperson.

But I think Muzzleflash has it nailed. This crap about the mosque is pure stupidity of a level that I can only assume is fomented via agents provacateurs somewhere within the machine.

They don't hate us for our freedom, unless one refers to our self granted freedom to bomb the crap out of any non-Western nation. Under Clinton, even that was not entirely true.

I keep saying, even my 12 year old has realized that us being in nonstop war since WWII is among the most absurd of travesties to befall our great nation.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

We are the International corporate elite's army and those not entirely blinded by national pride and team concepts of sport can and do see that.

We remain a small minority though.

I don't know if that will ever change, but it's good that people like you and Muzzle Flash talk about it and encourage others to think deeper.

In the meantime it's nice to see some of the religious folks actually trying to live up to their doctrines, and share and play nicely with something they all truly do have in common.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Rabbis, Imams, Pastors and Priests in Gainesville all got together and decided which passages from each book would be central and acceptable and meaningful to all three sects of Jews, Christians and Muslims.

Rabbis read passages from the Christian Bible and Quran, Imams read passages from the Bible and Torah, and Priests, Pastors and Reverends read passages from the Quran and Torah.

Each congregation is reported to have received these positively, and indeed the congregants of each house of worship felt that they had to do something to show their own open minded respect and tolerance of other sects so they wouldn’t be stigmatized by Jones’s actions.

religion.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Glad you posted this thread Proto, it's important that people know there are intelligent sane people out there, in this case in the form of Pastors, Rabbis and Imams, this will go far in healing those congregations at least, most give credence to what their religious leaders have a say and learn by example.

Thanks my friend.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Glad you posted this thread Proto, it's important that people know there are intelligent sane people out there, in this case in the form of Pastors, Rabbis and Imams, this will go far in healing those congregations at least, most give credence to what their religious leaders have a say and learn by example

Religion remains an insanely popular proposition for many, and is what sustains them often in a difficult and uncertain world. They look to it for solace, guidance, wisdom, charity and love, and I think it safe to say, when they find less or see less in it, either because of circumstance or design they are failing at that proposition.

These people appear to be succeeding at that propositon, love your neighbor, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, judge not least ye be judged, let he who is without sin cast the first stone, etc., etc.

Yes, there is a risk in that, that many percieve as a weakness and a danger if taken to far, yet many would contend it displays the opposite a real strength and a way and an ability to find peace of mind and solace in a world, that truly offers little to few.

In my own humble opinion to many who do find an appeal in it are insecure that they will not find that peace and solace and strength through it, and that what ultimately might prevent them is someone else's version of religion.

The reality is the only person who makes one fail in life is one's self.

These people have set a fine example of how it can succeed, for one and all, I admire and respect them for that.

I think it's truly a cause to rejoice and celebrate.

Thanks for posting my friend.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Another point is using DEPLETED URANIUM!!!

This SHOULD be a WAR CRIME. Children and other innocents are being exposed. Have you seen any pictures of some of the birth defects now rising in Iraq.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I find burning the written word to be a base and crass expression of fear,ignorance and a showy exposition with no substance.
Some-what like the twilight series.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Does anyone know what portions
of the 3 books they read out?

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I think you nailed it! This was all staged. Just another subliminal attack on minds of the American people. This whole controversy with this supposed preacher and these supposed christian chuches reading the Koran is a perfect example of it. Just like the staged story about the abortion clinic doctor getting shot by a christian during church.

It's not real people. This is no different than staged 911 or the staged Oklahoma City bombings. This is done to tweek your thinking subliminally; to make good look bad and bad look good, and change your views on it without you realizing it. It is meant to play on your heatstrings until you become desensitized to everything, including your own belief system.

When I read both sides of this (the preacher articles, and the supposed Koran reading church article) what I get is this.........If anyone in this country decides to take a stand for something (could be a stand against disarming the population, which is coming) then all it takes is a really nice group of people (say Legal Community Against Violence) to step up to the plate. Now your own stand is deminished by your fellow Americans who want peace. Next thing you know, it won't matter what you believe, your right to take a stand will be taken from you, and it will probably happen voluntarily if given enough time and programming.

Both sides of this story are phoney. Don't buy what the media is selling you, instead read between the lines. Logic will tell you that some unknown preacher from anytown USA is not going to make headlines, unless it is planned that way.

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
Does anyone know what portions
of the 3 books they read out?

I'm not sure if they all read the same bits or not, but I found this pdf at the website of the United Church of Gainesville.

Here are the verses given on the pdf for people who don't want to download:

A Common Word: Readings from Quran and Scripture

From Hebrew Scripture – The Sh’ma. Deuteronomy 6:4-5 Hear O Israel: the Lord is our God, the Lord alone. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all our might.” Leviticus 19:18 “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

From Christian Scripture Matthew 22: “Jesus answered, “the first is, ‘Hear O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; you shall love the Lofe [sic -- I assume this is a typo for Lord] your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this. ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other greater commandment than these.”

From the Quran Love of God “Say: O People of the Scripture! Come to a common word between us
and you: that we shall worship none but God, and that we shall ascribe no partner unto Him, and that none of us shall take others for lords beside God. And if they turn away, then say: Bear witness that we are they who have surrendered (unto Him).” (Aal ‘Imran 3:64)

Love of Neighbor It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces to the East and the West; but righteous is he who believeth in God and the Last Day and the angels and the Scripture and the prophets; and giveth wealth, for love of Him, to kinsfolk and to orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, and to those who ask, and who set slaves free.

edit on 9/14/2010 by americandingbat because: to include the [sic] and typo correction from pdf quote

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

You understand don't you that Muslims are absolutely being persecuted in their own countries. In part in places where some political factions like the Taliban or Iranian Government would like to rule using a harsh interpretation of Sharia law. Most Muslims are secular and would like the freedom to choose what passages of their Quran they are going to live their lives by, just like most Christians don't prefer to live like the Pennsylvania Dutch Amish who abide by every verse and passage of the Bible, and most Jews want the freedom to not have to abide by every passage in the Old Testament, Torah and Talmud like ultra-Orthodox Talumdic Jews do.

There are moderate Muslim nations for them to go to. Why would they choose to come to America when they have full knowledge of the resentment they will face, not because of their religion but what their religion teaches?

That's not to mention those fleeing secular violence brought on in places like Iraq where a strong arm ruler like Saddam Hussein and years of the different sects of Islam respecting an uneasy peace between them enforced by Saddam Hussein caused the nation to explode into secular violence once Saddam was removed from power.

If these people would wish to have a better nation then it's better to fight and die with dignity than to run and live in shame.

That also does not take into consideration thos fleeing Coalition Bombs in places like Afghanistant and until recently Iraq.

Well, the United States didn't cross the initial line when it comes to taking innocent lives. Casualties of war or collateral damage, whatever you want to call it, is the product of choosing to bring America into an armed conflict. Don't get me wrong. I feel sorry for the people that has to live in fear but they don't have to. They have the ability to retaliate against their government(s) just as they're retaliating against our troops, who, by the way, are trying to restore order there. Someting they haven't had for decades. Something that they would love to have again.

So pretending that the Middle East is just a paradise on earth is absolutely rediculous, and blaming that violence all on Islam is absolutely rediculous when the Western Nations themselves have a lot to do with it too.

I must admit that I am bewildered at the thought that you would think that I would ever consider the Middle East paradise especially when there exists no such place on the planet Earth.

Further they aren't spreading Islam here in America they are practicing their religion of choice as is their constitutional right.

This is quite a surprise to me. Foreigners coming to the United States to practice their constitutional rights. They don't need to bring their constitutional rights here when we already have one. Sorry. Just trying to add humor. I don't have a problem with Muslims practicing their religion. What I have a problem with is that they're trying to use our own Contitution against Americans for their benefit.

Further though you don't realize you are saying it, by painting a lily white picture of a predominantly Christian America at it's founding you are in fact admitting to how Christian Europeans slaughtered millions of Native American inhabitants because they weren't Christian thus persecuting them for not being Christian and violently spreading Christianity to the Indians who wanted to survive based on terms dictate to them by the Colonialists and then the new United States Government.

I must apologize if you think I've painted a lily-white picture of Christians, since I'm not and artist and don't particularly like flowers. I will admit though, that if I had it my way, I would send every last descendant of Europeans, Asians, Africans AND Middle Easterns back to their homelands where they can either make a difference there or live and die with it. This land, both continents on the western hemisphere, belongs to the indigenous people here. If there exists any group of people that I truly have sympathy for it is the people of North and South America before the whitey showed up.

If there exists any race of people on this planet that has caused more destruction and death it would have to be the Europeans. Yep. I said this even though I'm one of them that I'd have to send back. I'd have to be drawn and quartered first.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Interesting information, thank you.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join