It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The stages of the journey into the community of ATS

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The Stages of Political Awakening
Ignorance (Knowledge of Only What you want to Believe)
Knowledge (Awakening to True Facts)
Denial (Attempting to go back to Ignorance)
Shock (Realization that your Beliefs are not True)
Grief (Realization that you have lost something)
Depression (Sadness over loss)
Anger (Sadness projected outward)
Bargaining (Hoping to get back what was lost)
Acceptance (Changes are Beyond Your Control)

Most people on ATS will never get past their Ignorance and Denial.
To do so would be like going through the Sun Dance Ceremony.
They will Die before they Think.(Twain)

The truth is too shocking for ATS. Those who post it are banned and their threads deleted.

ATS is like a train wreck in slow motion.

In our paralysis we come here to look on in horrified wonder.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

If those are the stages I am at acceptance. Changes are out of my control. No matter who i vote for none of it matters... welcome to the fall

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesusphish

Click here for more information.

ooops - my bad.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sticky

You are right Sticky.

edit on 15/9/2010 by DSSONE because: sp

Edit: I deleted my post. I never intended to belittle the OP, I just offered a new perspective on how it could be viewed.

edit on 15/9/2010 by DSSONE because: (no reason given)

edit on 15/9/2010 by DSSONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It's hard to fathom that people could take issue with something so eloquent, elegant, and intelligent.
I personally found the OP a fascinating culmination of careful observance and understanding.
A goldmine, really, of insight, point of view, and good will.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

It's hard to fathom that people could take issue with something so eloquent, elegant, and intelligent.

Who here has an issue with what was said in the original thread?

The only issue I had was when Max stated, and I quote .

I don't know anyone here .. nor does anyone know me.. it's just dots on a screen....

Actually, we do know Max,He is a Mod,someone with authority.Someone, perhaps many look up to.Someone in this community that can make someones life a pleasure or pain.
I just found his comment to be a little 'impersonal' especially when a lot of heart and soul goes into peoples posts.Take his for example !!. "If its all just dots on the screen", whats the point?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
At first, I was hesitant to contribute any further to this thread, as my words seem to irritate and anger some members. (But it does confirm my position that I have much to learn, because frankly, I was not expecting such reactions at all).

Apparently, some expect something very particular from discussion boards, so much so that they will find something they have no interest in just so they can vent their opposition to it's presence (with much angst and anguish.) It is something to which I can not relate, since I don't engage in bashing other peoples ideas without offering some kind of justification.

It is kind of off-putting when you go from feeling good about sharing a project to wishing you hadn't - just to avoid the wails of discontent.

To everyone who has posted their disagreement, or suggestions about where I may have missed something, or might need to rethink a perspective - thank you. To those who are digesting the ideas, and are simply 'registering' them as something to consider later, thank you. To those who have complimented my writing style, thank you too.

To those who read or skimmed the OP and found it somehow infuriating or repugnant - what can I say? Perhaps to say nothing is the best overall response... but as you can probably guess... I'm not the 'stay quiet and unheard' kind of member who would tolerate that kind of treatment of any other member, so why should I tolerate it against myself?

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil

The only issue I had was when Max stated, and I quote .

I don't know anyone here .. nor does anyone know me.. it's just dots on a screen....

Actually, we do know Max,He is a Mod,someone with authority.Someone, perhaps many look up to.Someone in this community that can make someones life a pleasure or pain.

I just found his comment to be a little 'impersonal' especially when a lot of heart and soul goes into peoples posts.Take his for example !!. "If its all just dots on the screen", whats the point?

I sincerely didn't mean to convey that sentiment. It was not to diminish the meaning of contributions, it was to nullify the notion that I somehow think myself 'outside' or 'beyond' the subject we are discussing. To feel superior there has to be a relative inferior position. I recognize none, and am disinclined to judge people solely on the things they post (which is where the regrettable use of the phrase 'dots on a screen' came in). That's what I meant to convey. Along the lines of "I am not better than anyone else."

There is one other thing I would ask you to consider. Being a moderator conveys no real authority. I have no unilateral powers, I cannot exercise my own judgment without consultation with the group of Mods, and my only distinction as a member is that I am proactive about facilitating the dialogues in which we engage. I know many Mods goof around and make lot's of comical references to the 'power' they have; but please don't confuse that with genuine authority - we're members, just like you, just like anyone.

All this to say that if I did come across as making it seem like I disbelieve the value of your humanity, or mock the passion and conviction in what you or anyone else posts, that was a tremendous and regrettable error on my part. I can only request that you forgive me as I am no less human than anyone else, and no less likely to fumble a phrase or comment for an infinite variety of reasons.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Do you believe you know me?

allegedly 99.7+% of our dna is identical, the same. so if i know 99.7+% of my own dna, then i should know you 99.7+% of who you are, right?

Should I believe I know you?

if you know yourself and what 99.7+% of your dna is, then you should be familiar with 99.7+% of who i am

fellow flawed clone,
et

edit on 15-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

It's the .3% that concerns me.

posted on Sep, 15 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Wow!! I think I just experienced something above and beyond the stages of the journey into the community of ATS..thanks Max.

edit on 15-9-2010 by oliveoil because: reason # 4

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesusphish
reply to post by RRokkyy

If those are the stages I am at acceptance. Changes are out of my control. No matter who i vote for none of it matters... welcome to the fall

After acceptance comes dissociative insanity.

Whatever

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Please - keep posting. Your Op was extremely revealing - of ATS and you too. I am delightfully impressed.

Just skimmed, now I'll go back and read. Thank you.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I said I would bump some of my old favorite threads today, to "remember" them. Memorial Day seems to be a good enough time.

Anyway, this is brilliant, I thought. Try not to argue with it, just learn from it.

Regards.

liw

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

You're very kind. Thank you for remembering this thread. I'm tempted to continue the project; but I'm not certain how to proceed at the moment. ... caught in time, if you will...

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

You're forgiven! But any thoughts you might be inclined to add to this in the future, would be savored by many, I think. Or even a "Part II", when time is more conducive towards writing.

It was a fantastic OP. Sigh. Oh, and it still is, of course.

Happy Memorial Day.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join