It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey: 23 PERCENT Gulf residents suffer with “mild to moderate mental illness” after oil disast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
This is one of the most frightening areas and the final blow to the residents living along the Gulf Coast!

Not only do they have to contend with generations of family business down the tubes, plummeting real estate values, lost wages and dwindling economic hope, but now big brother is in their face checking to see if they are stable of mind!

Ridiculous! and a shameful display of the insensitivity of the failing system and their slack efforts to create solutions for the Gulf Coast and for its people.

Yes, lets turn it around on the victims and further victimize them by taking one of the most vulnerable times in their families lives and do mental evaluations on them, door to door none the less!

So if you are sickened for numerous reasons not to mention the toxicity of the region, and you have decided NOT to go talk to a professional, then just wait by the door, one will be there to check up on you and your family at this critical time of adjustment and massive change.

Survey: 23 PERCENT Gulf residents suffer with “mild to moderate mental illness” after oil disaster

In a post-oil spill survey conducted in the four-state region by Louisiana’s Ochsner Health System, meanwhile, 12 percent of the respondents in Mississippi reported suffering from serious mental illness. Twenty-three percent indicated they suffered from mild to moderate mental illness in the wake of the disaster. …

www.floridaoilspilllaw.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Counselors going door-to-door in Gulf county offering “immediate” help — “We’re losing ground” says local health official

Baldwin County mental health counselors to make house calls, describe oil spill services, Press-Register, September 13, 2010:

[M]ental health counselors concerned about lingering effects from the Gulf spill will be going door-to-door in Baldwin County within the next few weeks… and even provide immediate counseling if needed, according to Robin Riggins, executive director of the Baldwin County Mental Health Center.

The door-to-door work is one of several initiatives from a newly created Baldwin County Mental Health Advisory Committee. …

“We are still in the planning and discussion stages, but we want to move quickly because we’re losing ground as we speak,” Riggins said.

The Alabama Department of Mental Health is paying for emergency counseling programs on the coast from $12 million given by BP PLC.

So again the tax payers and the local stae and Fedral government OFFICIALS can spend Millions on door to door services and mental healh evaluations of the people of the Gulf states BUT WAIT!!

I have a marvelous idea which will target all the problems and create soul-louitions for everyone...

Give the money to the residents of the Gulf coast to use as they see fit, as they choose to use it! this would enable those who wish to relocate to do so, those who are down and deppressed to have something to look forward to, those who's only hope for an income is through mental health services, and you just see how many mentally ill people would opt for the one time payment over a life time of subpoverty GOV checks for menatl illness!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Hey guys lets discuss this, I mean how far reaching do they think this expands to? The entire world has their eyes on the disaster, the wholwe country to be certain and far more than just the residents of the Gulf coast states themselves when we have representatives from everywhere up rooting their lives to be on the front lines of this epic tragedy for the enviroment and the ecological state which will be ongoing for generations to come!

Whos pockets will be lined in this sharade of monumental proportions? How many temporary workers like in the last census will be hired at the tax payers expense to pull this off?

what about the people who are so concerned that they have given and donated millions to help the cause? They too are bent and twisted mentally from the knowledge of what this means to our future, are they too coco because they care enough to do what they can? should every caring citizen also be tested for sanity?

No this is just another excuse to render people ineffective in their own mental processes and marginalize the healing process itself, the natural process of “denial”, “anger”, “bargaining”, “depression”, and “acceptance” and so forth...

edit on 13-9-2010 by antar because: maxmars had posted the process, so I changed it a bit, forgot deppression!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
"In a post-oil spill survey conducted in the four-state region by Louisiana’s Ochsner Health System, meanwhile, 12 percent of the respondents in Mississippi reported suffering from serious mental illness. Twenty-three percent indicated they suffered from mild to moderate mental illness in the wake of the disaster". … Dont think that what happens in the gulf stays in the gulf . I had visions of dispair from the event and I live in a part of the east coast that will probably have the least effect . my prayers to the many and condolences to the many as well ...peace

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Right, and you are most certainly not the only one, this needs to have some real efforts made on behalf of all the Gulf residents, not just the political hierarchy, think about it, billions have now been spent, and yet the real people who are suffering are being offered mental health checks? They are being made out to be wackos and tested at the most vulnerable time in their lives? No this is wrong and it stinks of further back room good ole boy politics and cover-up.

There's money in them thar tar ball lined beaches and coastal regions!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I live in Louisiana.
For years we had the 3rd highest
cancer rate in the world, all along the
industrial corridor where all the chemical
and petroleum plants were located on the river.

First and second place went to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Louisiana is number 4 now, as Chernobyl has a higher cancer rate.

So if 23% of us are metally damaged, then the corexit
must have healed about 27% of us.

David Grouchy

edit on 13-9-2010 by davidgrouchy because: correcting percents

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Thanks for the information, let me ask you this, what do you think of the man going door to door to check on peoples mental states?

Do you know people personally who will be affected by this? And will the effects in your thoughts be negative or positive and why?

Thanks, and hope all is well with you and yours.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Thanks for the information, let me ask you this, what do you think of the man going door to door to check on peoples mental states?

Do you know people personally who will be affected by this? And will the effects in your thoughts be negative or positive and why?

Thanks, and hope all is well with you and yours.

I havent' seen anyone going door to door to check
on people's mental states. Besides every
fact checker I ever met was already
programed to only find one of
two answers in advance.
They are not into
listening.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Counselors going door-to-door in Gulf county offering “immediate” help — “We’re losing ground” says local health official

Baldwin County mental health counselors to make house calls, describe oil spill services, Press-Register, September 13, 2010:

[M]ental health counselors concerned about lingering effects from the Gulf spill will be going door-to-door in Baldwin County within the next few weeks… and even provide immediate counseling if needed, according to Robin Riggins, executive director of the Baldwin County Mental Health Center.

The door-to-door work is one of several initiatives from a newly created Baldwin County Mental Health Advisory Committee. …

“We are still in the planning and discussion stages, but we want to move quickly because we’re losing ground as we speak,” Riggins said.

The Alabama Department of Mental Health is paying for emergency counseling programs on the coast from $12 million given by BP PLC.

So again the tax payers and the local stae and Fedral government OFFICIALS can spend Millions on door to door services and mental healh evaluations of the people of the Gulf states BUT WAIT!!

I have a marvelous idea which will target all the problems and create soul-louitions for everyone...

Give the money to the residents of the Gulf coast to use as they see fit, as they choose to use it! this would enable those who wish to relocate to do so, those who are down and deppressed to have something to look forward to, those who's only hope for an income is through mental health services, and you just see how many mentally ill people would opt for the one time payment over a life time of subpoverty GOV checks for menatl illness!

This was the article I was refering to grouchy, I should have placed it in the Op, but still I have to ask you if you dont mind, what are your personal thoughts and feelings about this and how will it affect you and those you know when the mental health inspector comes knocking on your doors?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Throw a bunch of BP's money at them and theyll be fine. A little insanity never hurt anybody especially if you get disability to go with it. There's more lawyers down there than clean up crews so what did you think was going to happen

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

what are your personal thoughts and feelings about this and how will it affect you and those you know when the mental health inspector comes knocking on your doors?

No different than the Mormons.
I'll invite them in and see if
I can get them to drink a
glass of orange juice.

They never do.

As to a health inspectors
conclusions, all I can do is be
hospitable. Authority will make it's
conclusions about me weather they talk
to me or not. All I can be is welcoming to them.

David Grouchy

edit on 13-9-2010 by davidgrouchy because: added in the quote

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

LOl, what a card you are, I need to learn from you how to be so calm in the eye of the storm, I guess in some ways you are right, and I for one would love a fresh glass of your O.J.

edit on 13-9-2010 by antar because: edit to say I would probably not open the door...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What the door to door inspection is trying to establish is the degree to which the BENZENE C6H6 contained in the DEEPWATER HORIZON Oil Spill is affecting people. Measurements made by the EPA Environmental Protection Agency have shown that levels of BENZENE C6H6 in the atmosphere are well above the danger level. Thus no doubt the government are worried to what extent the population are suffering the effects of such toxins in the air. Long term exposure to BENZENE C6H6 even at low level can result in Blood Disorders and Cancer and Brain Damage and children born with Birth Defects.

edit on 13/9/2010 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

Well that very well could be true, I was thinking that it was more leaning towards the mental states after all the loss of life styles. I dont know you could be right though.

It will be VERY interesting as members begin to tell their side of this deplorable story. I realize some people will take it at face value and think that the system really gives a hoot.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Figured I would bump this up shamelessly, for the night crew! I am really anxious to hear from the locals.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well my take on it, BP is never to be trusted. So if they are behind the door to door campaign,

This might shed some light on it"

The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico poses serious health risks for the people who are working to clean it up and others who venture into the coastal area, scientists say in a commentary in The Journal of the American Medical Association.

Some components of oil called volatile organic compounds may cause respiratory irritation and nervous system disorders, according to the commentary by Gina M. Solomon, MD, MPH, and Sarah Janssen, MD, PhD, MPH, both of the University of California, San Francisco.

www.medicinenet.com...

Then again, if BP is involved...suspect motivations.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAELENIUM
can result in Blood Disorders and Cancer and Brain Damage and children born with Birth Defects.

Or god like powers
and increased activity!
What if this stuff reacts on
a vibrational level and my incredibly
positive disposition is why the stuff isn't
bad for me. Or for anyone else that I know.

We figure if toxins were gonna kill us off it would
have happened generations ago. I really do think
that we are all second generation toxin resistant here.

It would be a huge irony too all the wealthy wall street families,
who put the industrial corridor of America along our part of the river,
if people from Acadiana became super human and poison resistant.

I'm 44 and I'm still doing gymnastics. People are starting
to notice that I'm not aging like everyone else, and
I think I'm just the first one. More are coming.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Part of what I've learned about the American experience, is that the people believe that the government and corporations supersede the average person and that "they" provide the basis of the American Dream. As an outsider - when you see the red flags waving and you try to get the attention of the general American public, but are told to back off - then it becomes somewhat of a frustrating experience. In part if the American public swallows the blue pill - it is easier for other governments around the world to push the same experience on the rest of the world. "Don't" swallow the blue pill. Washington and the founding fathers didn't swallow the blue pill.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by The Difference

Well we can't stop there.
What would you have us do.
Figure out who is really in charge?
Well according to ATS its five guys,
who control all the media, and they aren't
listening to us. But some of the producers are.

Maybe.

David Grouchy

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I'm skeptical of the value of this survey.

Did anyone see Adam Curtis' "The Trap"? He went though some of the history of this.

Almost anyone can be diagnosed as mentally ill. The definitions are so vague that almost everyone can fit into them.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 14/9/2010 by harpsounds because: add wiki link

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join