It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Ayatollahs Issue Fatwas Against Koran-Burners

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
www.businessweek.com...

Sept. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Two Iranian grand ayatollahs issued fatwas calling for the killing of those who insult the Koran, including anyone who burns the Islamic holy book, the state-run Fars news agency reported.

“Undoubtedly, the blood of a person who burns the Koran should be shed,” Makarem-Shirazi was cited by Fars as saying. Everybody should “strongly condemn” such an act.

But there you have it folks a price has been set on there head for death.
peaceful religion or hate filled you decide.

edit on 13-9-2010 by TheAmused because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Wow, I wonder which side you chose.

Whoever said the brutal tyrants and extremists of Islam spoke for all Muslims? Does Barack Obama and the rest of the government speak for ALL Americans? NO! Just as none of the Islamic Fanatics speak for all of Muslims.

When you generalize and place an entire nearly 2 billion people in the same box as a few thousands radicals, you are just showing how purely ignorant and intolerant you truly are.

edit on 9/13/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
you are just showing how purely ignorant and intolerant you truly are.

Surely the Iranians don't speak for all muslims. Though they are making quite a statement about their religion. Whenever anything is done that even might be considered offensive to Islam or muslims, undoubtedly SOME person associated with the faith will call for someone's death, in the name of their religious faith. It's not ignorance or intolerance to recognize this pattern. In fact, it's quite an astute and proper observation.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
peaceful religion?

peace is simply the absence of conflict.

islam is only peaceful when you submit to it. if you do not submit, islam creates conflict. how can a religion claim to be peaceful if its entire base is centered around conflict. sure you could say other religions create conflict, but they arent forcing you to submit...only tolerate. big difference between tolerating and submitting.

its pretty much a one way notion.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

wise beyond your years my friend.
star for you

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

your mistaken.

iran speaks for all of shia islam.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
www.businessweek.com...

No one was specified in the decrees, which were issued by Nasser Makarem-Shirazi and Hossein Nouri-Hamedani in response to questions asked by student groups from universities in Tehran, Fars said. Such an action against any individual could only be carried out with the authorization of an Islamic religious judge, they said.

personally doesn't that right there debunk the whole argument most use to condone the Muslim region?

They even have judges that decide who gets to die for talking bad about them lol
democracy at work people lol

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
*shrugs*

While the propaganda of "peaceful religion my foot" will continue I have to say it's fully within their rights to be angry over someone disrespecting what they believe to be holy. Should anyone wish another's death over it? Not in my opinion.

Are people who burn said books equally ignorant? Yes. Some do it and claim they're trying to illustrate the violent tendencies of Islam and then condemn the consequences of their provocation. Yeah, who'da thought that a provocative act would have consequences right?

Sad we live in a world where ignorance reigns on both sides of every argument; and nobody can simply piss off and leave well enough alone. Organized religion and the "I'm right your wrong" attitude work in brilliant conjunction to destroy humanity.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The Koran is a disgusting book, which only exists in order to control and manipulate the masses through fear. These Ayatollah's just prove it. If anything needs eradicating from this planet, it is people like them. The fact that people would kill over something so petty is unbelievable. Its only a book. Enforcing beliefs on others is evil. And for all the people who jump in to assume I am a christian apologist - re-read all I have said above replacing Koran and Ayatollah's with the Bible and christian leaders. ALL religion is detrimental to the progress and even survival of the human race.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
So radical Muslims are gonna take on Phelps? Time to pop some corn.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

No, the gran Ayatollahs do not speak for all Muslims, but as they are Shiite, and about 10% of the muslims in the world follow that branch, I would say that they speak for 10% of the Muslim world.
The President of the United States of America, along with any leader of any country, speaks for the population of that country. And ultimately has to take responsiblity for the actions of that country, for the better and the worse. The biggest difference is that in the US, we replace our leaders once every 4 years or keep them in office, at the will of the people. And the President can only remain in office for a max of 8 years.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Are people who burn said books equally ignorant? Yes.

I think there is a huge difference between burning a book and killing a human being.
Or do you believe them to be equal???

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
So radical Muslims are gonna take on Phelps? Time to pop some corn.

don't be politically correct here lol
If you read the news story..
To get backing to do it..they need approval from there judge's..
that would in fact make it Muslims and there nation taking on phelp's..not radical one's.

If ya see my point.
If the pope say's let it be so..it is so to Christians.
then if the president and judges back him..it becomes a all Christians..not radical Christians.

just saying.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

Take a look at the wording; you'll note I do not compare the act of killing someone with the act of burning someone's holy book (let's make that distinction clear. This isn't Moby Dick or Catcher in the Rye, this is the equivalent of the Bible or Torah). I compare the provocative act of burning a holy scripture with the threat/wish of someone's death.

The acts themselves may not be equal, but the ignorance involved most certainly is.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

If the pope says it, it is not so to Christians; it is so to traditional Catholics.

As far as it having the backing of the courts, bin Laden issued his own fatwa years ago; no court backed it, and 99% of the Muslim world responded with disdain. And as was already pointed out in this thread, only Shiites would consider this fatwa anyway. And since the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful and would not dream of hurting someone, this will be ignored by most.

Let's not forget the Ayatollah issued a fatwa against Salman Rushdie and nothing came of it.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I was generally against the burnings in a big way but, now that I have seen this, I may very well do it.

I figure having my very own fatwa could be a decent line to help me pick up chicks. Usually I go with "hey baby do you wanna see my sweet Kelley jones original cover to Batman #500" but that does not seem to get over to well for me so maybe "hey baby you knows I gots mad fatwas on my head right"? I can see myself doing much better with this.

So silly.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
None of the Muslims I know will be taking up arms, I doubt they would do anything even if I burned a Qur'an in front of them and Muhammad himself appeared and told them to kill me.

Out of the ~1,500,000,000 Muslims on this planet, only a tiny, tiny proportion will act and those Muslims are known as -extremists- for a reason.

People are banging on about Islam being an inherently violent religion, but if belonging to an inherently violent religion by itself doesn’t actually make people go out and commit violence then that's a pretty worthless observation to make even if it was true.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

I said if they do back it....
it would not be a radical Muslim vs the quran burning anymore.

it would make it a court backed HIT on all people that don't do what there religious leader's say is so.

then it will be a whole new game so to speak.
the radical Muslim political correctness term will be thrown out the window to a lot of people.
if ya see my point.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

I do not see your point. First, only Shiites would listen to the Ayotolla. Second, most Muslims think the Ayotollah is full of crap. Third, most Muslims would be offended if someone burned their holy book but would do nothing about it.

I am positive that if you burned the Bible, you would find some part of the Christian population that would call for your death. This does not mean that all Christians are extremists.

It really blows my mind that in the "land of the free" people are so damn intolerant, especially since if they looked at history, many of their ancestors moved to the US to escape religious persecution. Yet those immigrants' descendants now want to destroy a billion people because of what a few thousand say and do. What a crazy world.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
I am positive that if you burned the Bible, you would find some part of the Christian population that would call for your death.

Positive?
I highly doubt you would find this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join