It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security to test iris scanners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

WASHINGTON — The Homeland Security Department plans to test futuristic iris scan technology that stores digital images of people's eyes in a database and is considered a quicker alternative to fingerprints.
The department will run a two-week test in October of commercially sold iris scanners at a Border Patrol station in McAllen, Texas, where they will be used on illegal immigrants, said Arun Vemury, program manager at the department's Science and Technology branch.

"The test will help us determine how viable this is for potential (department) use in the future," Vemury said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.usatoday.com...

Iris scanners are little used, but a new generation of cameras that capture images from 6 feet away instead of a few inches has sparked interest from government agencies and financial firms, said Patrick Grother, a National Institute of Standards and Technology computer scientist. The technology also has sparked objections from the American Civil Liberties Union.

ACLU lawyer Christopher Calabrese fears that the cameras could be used covertly. "If you can identify any individual at a distance and without their knowledge, you literally allow the physical tracking of a person anywhere there's a camera and access to the Internet," he said.

Iris scans can be quicker than fingerprints. "You can walk up to a wall-mounted box, look at the camera, and that's it," Grother said.

Homeland Security will test cameras that take photos from 3 or 4 feet away, including one that works on people as they walk by, Vemury said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.usatoday.com...

One of the fundamental pillars of free society, is the ability of the people to stand anonymous before government and while this ability has long been gone even before these new iris scanners, the technology sure will make it easier for government to intrude on our personal lives.

If anyone was doubting that our country is turning into an authoritarian police state, one has to only look at the technologies that are being deployed. If you still aren't convinced, you either have your eyes closed or clearly misunderstand the mechanisms in which a police state operates.

Apparently, now the government can bring up a dossier on each one of us as we simply walk by. With all of the databases (medical, criminal, consumer, etc..) that are being built around our information, technologies such as this in the hands of government is a very scary thing.

I wonder if the images of our naked bodies from the full body scanners will also come up as government schills scann our eyes from a distance?

--airspoon

CX

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I predict a soaring trade in sunglasses approaching.

This also makes me think of Demolition Man.

CX.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

That's a good idea, though I'm sure you guys in the UK are used to all of this surveillance and intrusion into the mind, so to speak. With that being said, I'm sure that sunglasses will only warrant harassment if you happen to walk by one of these scanners wearing them. On the bright side, at least you'll know that your eyes aren't being read 'out of the blue'.

What scares me even more, if this technology is readily available and the government is testing it out in the open, just think what they aren't telling us they are using, if anything at all. It's hard for me to believe that they don't have secret programs, using secret technology to track us.

A couple of years ago, I read on the MSM somewhere, though the story was quickly dropped, about government databases and how the government is mining consumer information to profile citizens and storing it all in some secret database somewhere. For instance, they would log whether you picked a window or isle seat in the aircraft, what kind of drink you like, whether it be a pepsi, sprite, old charter or 7 and seven and put into some database somewhere to psychologically profile us in an effort to catch terrorism before a strike. This program was apparently started by the Bush admin and kept alive by the Obama admin.

If you think about it, such a scenario is scary, to say the least. What if you fit the profile of a terrorist, yet you aren't? Do they throw you in a secret prison somewhere and torture you until you confess to something that isn't true, or do they just ruin your career by placing you on the no-fly list? It really does make one stop and think before each little purchase or choice we make. Those choices can literally ruin us, by the government that is supposed to be by, for and of us.

If you think about it, a free society isn't supposed to resemble something like this. When the population has stop and think of the repurcussions of ordering a drink, the words "freedom" or "liberty" simply become useless buzzwords.

--airspoon

join