It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arms Deal Advances - White House to Notify Congress Soon of $60 Billion Package, Largest Ever

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Saudi Arms Deal Advances - White House to Notify Congress Soon of $60 Billion Package, Largest Ever for U.S.

online.wsj.com

The Obama administration is set to notify Congress of plans to offer advanced aircraft to Saudi Arabia worth up to $60 billion, the largest U.S. arms deal ever, and is in talks with the kingdom about potential naval and missile-defense upgrades that could be worth tens of billions of dollars more

The administration plans to tout the $60 billion package as a major job creator—supporting at least 75,000 jobs

U.S. officials are discussing a potential $30 billion package to upgrade Saudi Arabia's naval forces
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

On top of the $60 billion package of fighter jets and helicopters, U.S. officials are discussing a potential $30 billion package to upgrade Saudi Arabia's naval forces.

Talks are also underway to expand Saudi Arabia's ballistic-missile defenses. The U.S. is encouraging the Saudis to buy systems known as THAAD—Terminal High Altitude Defense—and to upgrade its Patriot missiles to reduce the threat from Iranian rockets.

Whoa whoa whoa..... calm down there Obama!
Is this a good idea?
Should we be selling 60BN and possibly 90BN+ worth of military equipment to an extreme theocratic dictatorship?

Should we trust theocratic dictators, especially in today's political-religious climate?

No jobs America, so how about 70k worth of jobs to arm a theocratic dictatorship that was possibly behind 9/11?

Maybe I am thinking too much, but hey I am a skeptic.

Thoughts ATS?

What happened the last time we wanted to arm religious fundamentalists that we thought would be an ally?

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Is that going to be $60 billion worth of WMD's. Considering 1 gun can be a weapon of mass destruction. (If you don't believe one gun is a WMD, try rethinking that if one of your children was shot. The mass destruction it can do to one family is devastating0)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
this will go through but it shouldn't they were behind 911 . its the zealots who rule there not the king

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
God help us all... Obama you are an idiot...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
God help us all... Obama you are an idiot...

Actually, by calling him an idiot, we would be giving him more credit than he deserves.

The question that the American public should be asking is " What in the hell would the Saudis be needing with $60-90 billion of American military hardware?"

Shouldn't this be the flag that shows the world he's an embracer of Islam?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Good move Obama. What else are we going to sell? We got guns and we got cotton. Well, I don't know about cotton anymore but we got guns.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Probably his attempt to appease the saudi's, since what they really want is for iran to be attacked. But hey, anything that helps the military-industrial complex can't be a bad thing right? Typical republicrat fair.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
Probably his attempt to appease the saudi's, since what they really want is for iran to be attacked. But hey, anything that helps the military-industrial complex can't be a bad thing right? Typical republicrat fair.

exactly, and these arms are probably for the Saudi's to counter Iran or even attack them. The only good reason to sell these arms is divide and conquer but it also needs some diplomacy and lobbying on part of Obama's administration. let those two fight it out and kill eacht other [really the Saudi's are one of the last to want a nuclear Iran]

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

On that same thought, call every president since the 60s an idiot since they all supplied arms to the Saudis, and for that matter to Saddam, Bin Laden, ect........

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Where are all of the Mosque and anti-Islam protesters for this? Wouldn't arming one of the biggest Islamic countries with advanced weapons be much more dangerous than having a place of worship in the US's largest city? Of course because FOX News isn't griping over it, neither will they (yes, I know that the WSJ is a NewsCorp subsidiary).

Sadly, the only interests benefitted here, are the Saudis and the Military-Indistrial, to include the Bush's and in fact, these interests contradict our own.

What really strikes a nerve with me, is that they make it so difficult for American veterans - heroes - get hunting or home defense rifles, yet we seem to have no problems with arming tyrants, who in turn have no problem with killing anyone they wish. America is in a handbasket, can you guess what our destination is?

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
What really strikes a nerve with me, is that they make it so difficult for American veterans - heroes - get hunting or home defense rifles, yet we seem to have no problems with arming tyrants, who in turn have no problem with killing anyone they wish

Star for that, that's an excellent point! Especially since Obama is the chief and commander.
Makes you wonder what the mission really is doesn't it?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by coolhanddan

That was then. This is now. Different circumstances. Different rules.

I use to be a trusting person until I found out that so-called "friends" would take items from my house that they knew wasn't theirs.

Today, I don't trust no one and don't have any friends. This is my choosing. Well, I have one. I'm married to her. To hell with everyone else.

Well, I really have two friends. One is my wife and the other one is Jesus who does come first.

edit on 13/9/10 by Intelearthling because: Added a correction.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
$60 billion for the US governemnt, and not 1 penny for its own citizens or buisnesses. This is why wallstreet should have never gotten involved in congress. I take this as a slap in the face, from obama and our governement..i wonder how much AIG is making off this deal.when i say making i mean in terms of money credit or bonds laundering* AIG is in fact, in the federal reserve ya know! the guy who took our $700 billion bailout money in 2008, is an ex CEO guy of course he is going to 'help his freinds and buisiness partners out'*
makes one wonder, if its things like this Eisenhower was trying to warn the american public about, and JFK for that matter...do not the military industrial complex grow and become so powerful* was the message...
were facing a depression, and the government only cares about itself, not its own citizens...as the economy here sinks more, and we turn into a 3rd world sweatshop labor country....theyw ill be the ones to blame*

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

You know what I find a bit odd. Is how nobody from the [Iran Can do no Wrong ] crowd here at ATS that there wasn't the big outcry against Russia for recently selling to [of all people Israel] weapon systems because Russia is perceived as being willing to go to war for Iran IF attacked by Israel/West.

Seems like hypocrisy to me.

But in the end it's whichever way the winds blowing I suppose also goes POP culture opinion on such complicated matters.

US and Saudi relations have been the longest Mid East connection the US has had. As a global power
[Good, Bad or Indifferent] The US has invested Billions in the Middle East during the Cold War [ and since] to defend the Gulf against the Soviets which theoretically could have threatened the Wests oil supply.

The Saudis have allowed bases and other infrastructure on their soil. It came as a shock to many that during the build up for Gulf War 1 that Saudi Arabia already had everything the US/West needed in place to wage a modern conventional war in the region.

War/Money do make strange bedfellows. Russia has more oil reserves than Saudi Arabia. They like the sanctions on Iran to stay in place, they are playing both sides of this card. If Iran stays confrontational with the West then Russia does not have to worry about dealing with Iran competing with their Fuel Sales to Europe.

If Iran complied then the sanctions come off and Iran would be free to compete with Russia for fuel sales to the EU and others. China is building their pipeline through another troubled area to get into Central Asia which also has more oil than Iran and Saudi Arabia combined. They have huge oil deals with Iraq, in the end neither side would risk millions killed over Iran. IMO.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well one conspiracy idea I have always had about selling "sophisticated" weapon systems to a possible future enemy, one puts hardware trojans in that cannot be disabled or detected.

At least that is what I would do. Yes, in say 15 years they could reverse engineer the systems. But that is why you never sell any of the top grade stuff. Just the stuff we already have defenses for already and with the trojans installed, well you get the picture. Sun Tzu stuff.

Ooooo, I could be doctor evil.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Here is a fairly well balanced article on the relationship.
It shows pro and con.

U.S.-Saudi Relations

The United States and Saudi Arabia have long-standing economic and defense ties. A series of informal agreements, statements by successive U.S. administrations, and military deployments have demonstrated a strong U.S. security commitment to Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia was a key member of the allied coalition that expelled Iraqi forces from Kuwait in 1991. Saudi Arabia hosted U.S. aircraft enforcing the no-fly zone over southern Iraq; between the two Iraq wars of 1991 and 2003; however...

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
You know what I find a bit odd. Is how nobody from the [Iran Can do no Wrong ] crowd here at ATS that there wasn't the big outcry against Russia for recently selling to [of all people Israel] weapon systems because Russia is perceived as being willing to go to war for Iran IF attacked by Israel/West.

Where's the thread for that out of curiosity?
And also was it remotely close to 60BN?

Just trying to compare apples.

And as far as Iran can do no wrong, well of course they can, but the entire "Iran can do no wrong" comes most likely from the nuclear weapons argument and that there is no proof of Iran developing nuclear weapons and not from any country selling arms to it.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

No, the single deal doesn't equal 60 billion. But when you factor in Russia's recent global; sales to countries like Iran, Venezuela etc it does tend to add up.

Russia boosts military cooperation with Israel (AFP)

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Here we go! World War III is coming to a Middle Eastern country near you! This has the hallmark of NWO smeared all over it.

1. Firstly, it is widely accepted that the Saudis had a hand in 9/11.
2. Next, they are a brutal regime that still practices barbaric, Middle Ages type justice.
3. Thirdly, they have been itching to hit Iran for years, and now the USA will give them the means.

This deal STINKS from which ever way you look at it.

This deal exposes the absolute corruption that now dominates the world.

Obama has shown his hand. This stooge can not be trusted.

Why would you give the Saudis your best kept military secrets and hardware?

ps. ATS really needs to fix the search function - I searched for this topic 3 ways, found nothing so started a thread. Thread got rudely closed becasue this tread already existed...hmmmm

top topics

<<   2 >>

join